PDA

View Full Version : 22SQN SAROps On

Gainesy
30th Sep 2009, 16:03
Canadian sailor 200nm west of Ireland. Interview with Steve Bentley.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Long distance rescue for RAF (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8283332.stm)

Green Flash
30th Sep 2009, 19:56
Curious. SB says that the nearest helo is at Valley. Nothing in Eire, then?:confused: I thought there is an Irish Coastgaurd (?) jobby at EINN? Hope all went/is going well.

InTgreen
30th Sep 2009, 20:47
By all accounts, the RAF SAR cabs have a greater ROA than the Irish...

getsometimein
30th Sep 2009, 21:21
No mention of Nimrod involvement then?

The Irish only have a small area of responsibility, so its pretty much always the RAF when it comes to the atlantic...

Hope the guy gets home soon...

camelspyyder
30th Sep 2009, 21:40
I heard Rescue 51 heading off towards 10W on ScotMil this afternoon, so there's your answer. They do still fly! I'm surprised Kinloss aren't milking the positive PR though.

Helis dont like to go a long way out without top-cover so its good news all round that 120/201 can still answer the call for assistance.

CS

jez_s
30th Sep 2009, 22:00
Out of curiosity, what is the function of the Nimrod on these SAR missions?

Is it a case of lightening the load of the Helicopter crew so they can actually 'fly' the mission or is there a more physical purpose to them being overhead?

You often hear of a Nimrod being scrambled to support maritime rescue missions but never really hear what their role is during said rescue effort.

As I've said more Idle curiosity than digging for PPRune dirt.:8

Gainesy
1st Oct 2009, 11:03
Report from Ocean FM

Dramatic RAF rescue rush to Sligo
An injured Canadian sailor has been taken to Sligo General Hospital after a dramatic rescue in the Atlantic Ocean.

The long haul rescue mission was carried out by an RAF Sea King helicopter some 200 miles off the west coast of Ireland yesterday.

The 50-year-old sailor’s hand had been crushed and his fingers would have been amputated if he had not received the emergency treatment at Sligo General.

The helicopter was forced to land on the ship amidst poor visibility and rough sea conditions.

The crew of four brought the casualty aboard and undertook a two-hour flight to Ireland.

They landed at Sligo airport and the sailor was taken to Sligo General for emergency surgery.

TorqueOfTheDevil
1st Oct 2009, 13:15
what is the function of the Nimrod on these SAR missions?

Several things: to pinpoint the vessel's location so that the Sea King doesn't waste time and fuel looking for it; to act as a comms relay for the Sea King, freeing up the crew to concentrate on the winching and casualty treatment; and to provide immediate assistance to the Sea King should it develop a problem and end up in the water when many miles offshore. The Nimrod could also drop ASRA to the casualties in the event of the ship sinking, or vector other shipping to the location in case the incident is beyond helicopter range.

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2009, 13:42
The helicopter was forced to land on the ship amidst poor visibility and rough sea conditions.

BZ to all involved :ok:

jez_s
1st Oct 2009, 17:40
TOTD, thanks for that. Must be reassuring to the Sea King crew having that 'Guardian Angel' watching over them.:ok:

anotherthing
2nd Oct 2009, 08:14
...so its pretty much always the RAF when it comes to the atlantic...

I'm sure 771SQN will be pleased to hear that :cool:

2nd Oct 2009, 08:23
Well we all know the FAA don't like going to sea:)

The longer range jobs generally fall to the RAF because we have a different fuel tank fit and slightly more gas available but if it is closer to Culdrose they will still get the job. When we can't go any further out the UK relies on the Americans with Pavehawks and air to air refuelling from C130s - a capability we would love to have but can't afford.

I will check about the 'landing on the ship' bit as that would be most unusual unless the vessel had a helideck built to take 10 tons of helicopter.

anotherthing
2nd Oct 2009, 08:32
Which is one of the reasons there is a fuel dump in the Scillies...

Not taking anything away from either service - both do a sterling job and both are extremely busy - it was just the statement that "it's pretty much always the RAF when it comes to the Atlantic" which is completely inaccurate.

Bad enough when the press can't get it right - for example showing photos of RN cabs then accompanying them with the report "... a helicopter from RAF Culdrose..." but no excuse on this forum... especially when a lot of lazy journalists trawl it for 'facts' and 'unamed sources'!!!!

airborne_artist
2nd Oct 2009, 08:34
HMCS Montreal (the vessel in question) was built to operate her own CH-124 Sea King.

BBCi news clip (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8284259.stm)

2nd Oct 2009, 11:31
Yes it wasn't apparent (or I just missed it) that it was a Canadian warship which explains the landing on. A good job, especially with all the media circus for the new Boss to do:ok: Apart from the radar going U/S halfway out making the vessel more difficult to find in crappy weather it all went as advertised.

Just played the iplayer clip and someone forgot to take the audio off the camera footage (just as well there is no swearing:)

Gainesy
2nd Oct 2009, 11:46
I doubt anyone would mind any swearing under the circumstances.
Good job.:ok: