PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Seats

Triplespool123
30th Sep 2009, 14:18
Assuming the seats are the same on all fleet ( i recently returned from HKG on a 744), what do people think of them?

Yes, great IFE. Best in the industry. And yes, its great that seats don't recline into your face. And for someone who is 6'2 and never felt comfortable on LH flights, the leg room was pretty damn amazing!

But I found that the movement of the chair within the chair (you need to have travelled on CX to know what Im on about) meant I was actually sitting on my coccyx. The pain I experienced after was terrible. Has anyone experienced this "fault" with this type of seat.

One other thing. Why don't they seat by rows in HKG like they do in Heathrow. Talk about chaos. Still got off on time though!

ulxima
30th Sep 2009, 14:43
Has anyone experienced this "fault" with this type of seat.

No pain but a sense of discomfort which makes me not to appreciate the whole flight.
I find much better their A340.

Ciao,
Ulxima

Triplespool123
30th Sep 2009, 14:49
Discomfort/pain whatever.

So are you saying the seats are different on the A340? The classic recline type?

ulxima
30th Sep 2009, 14:53
are you saying the seats are different on the A340?

I found them different

Ciao,
Ulxima

Wannabe Flyer
1st Oct 2009, 08:11
330 flying on the Asian routes are pretty old and danky. IFE in operable on some sectors and in others just poor. Service also a bit shoddy and a bit rude (a first considering the CC was all asian).

If I had been blind folded and taken on board I would have thought i was on a 25 year old aircraft instead of a 8 year old one.

Seats well, don't remember as I was concentrating on the alternate IFE (a passenger arguing with CC on why he should be poured only large whiskey's and she explaining why they have cut of limits. Went on for intermitantly for 3 hours that on a red eye flight was fun!).

ozequestrian
1st Oct 2009, 09:13
I fly to HK at least 5 or 6 times a year and these new seats are killing me. They create the impression of reclining for about 20 secs and then you quickly realise that you have done no more than slide you bum down the cushion. The only advantage to them is you don't get the seat back in your face as soon as the person in front wants to have a lie down.

Triplespool123
1st Oct 2009, 09:30
My point exactly. You see, I always got annoyed (if only for a minute) the moment some clown put his chair in my face.

But, well I could do the same and be very comfortable. For some reason I always felt sorry for the ones behind me, but like dominoes, we could all recline (except the poor guys at the back).

But this was absolute agony sitting on my coccyx. So on my return journey from HKG to LHR, I didn't 'recline' and just sat up.

What this effectively meant (i'm sorry to say) is that the CX 744 seats are the worst seats in the industry - regardless of the leg room or IFE. Sorry CX!

CX or Boeing (or whoever makes/decides the seats) should sack their ergonomics manager.

nogbad
1st Oct 2009, 14:54
recently flew Heathrow to Hong Kong. I thought the new seats very good.
I like the fact that you can recline without incoveniencing the people behind you.

manuhk
5th Oct 2009, 08:19
I flew long haul with Cathy a few times and find their new seats THE most uncomfortable in the industry. OK for short flights, but on long haul an absolute pain.
If you are 5ft and have a spine shaped like a banana you might be ok, for anybody of normal height the ultimate discomfort. No lumbar support at all, the sliding forward option more uncomfortable than sitting up and the leg room can't actually be called leg "room" as there hardly is any...:sad:

TightSlot
5th Oct 2009, 08:51
For those of us that haven't travelled CX - is there an image anywhere that would help us all to understand what is being discussed please?

Wannabe Flyer
5th Oct 2009, 08:59
Cathay Pacific - What's Onboard : Travel Classes > New Economy Class (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_JP/whatonboard/neweconomyclass)

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/cx/new_seat/seatguide/Olympus_y.pdf

Download the pdf and it shows you what the seat is about. Flexible banana is a correct analogy of this

Triplespool123
5th Oct 2009, 11:56
Dear Tight One, unfortunately the pictures are not as helpful so i'll try and explain for the benefit of others.

CX 744 seats do not recline. They are rigid seats at a set angle (upright). Within the seat however, you sit on what can be described as two panels of cushions.

One panel for your back, and one panel for your bum. By pushing the button, the bum panel moves forward, and the back panel moves down. Therefore all you have done is sunk into the seat and moved forward.

All of you reading this can mimick how it works. You are all sitting upright. Now slouch into your chair - so that your bacjk is now like a banana and you are sitting on the base of your spine rather than your bum. Comfortable isn't it?

But after 12 hours, you can imagine the pain. On my return journey back to LHR, I just sat up for the whole flight. When ergonomic testers test seats, I take it they stay there for the duration of a flight (I.e 10-14 hours) right? Not just a measely 20 minutes?

Anyway, that was my only beef on what was a truly exceptional airline and service. I disagree with manuhk's last point. I am 6'2 and for the first time, I actually had a significant gap between my legs and the chair infront (Im a regular traveller on Singapore, Emirates, Gulf, Kuwait). Secondly, there was so much space underneath the chair infront that I could actually stretch my legs fully. BUT - this could only happen if I was in the position where i had sunk into the seat and slid forward (as what we have been discussing).

AussieNick
5th Oct 2009, 15:12
after looking at that PDF, and the depiction of how the seat "reclines" I fail to see how it is any different to the traditional seat reclining angle. Yes i understand that the base of the seat is sliding forwards, but with the added movement of the seat back descending, you still end up in a practically identical position as to a seat when the seat back travels rearward.

gdiphil
5th Oct 2009, 17:51
I experienced a similar seat if I understand the original post correctly. It was in Y on Etihad. I found them to be very hard seats and also very uncomfortable and I wouldn't fly with them again for this and other reasons I have given elsewhere. As the seat is reclined the whole thing seems to slide under you and I found all the weight ended up at the base of the spine. Thanks for the heads up on CX on this one. Haven't flown with them in over 20 years but often go to Sydney from London.

Triplespool123
6th Oct 2009, 11:19
Aussienick,

I guess you really need to experience it to understand what's going on.

When you recline in a normal seat- whether it be a airline seat or seat at home, the back reclines but your bum remains nicely on the seat and your back remains straight.

In the CX seat, the bum moves forward but your back has not actually reclined by the same angle you would get in a normal reclining chair. All your back has done is slid down.

Therefore the top of your back is straight with the seat, and then your lower back bends like a banana thus making you sit on the hard part of your spine (coccyx) compared with the fleshy soft bum cheeks.

Like I said, you really need to experience it yourself.

Triplespool123
6th Oct 2009, 11:22
As the seat is reclined the whole thing seems to slide under you and I found all the weight ended up at the base of the spine.

gdiphil,

this is exactly what Im talking about.

but like I said, in terms of service, quality, IFE, leg room, then it is excellent.

OverRun
11th Oct 2009, 03:25
Thanks everyone - you've saved me from taking what would obviously have been a terrible flight.:ok:

Sultan Ismail
11th Oct 2009, 06:14
Singapore Airlines have installed similar seats on their A330's and A380's. I thought it was just me feeling discomfort but the experiences related above indicate they probably bougt from the same seat manufacturer.

The IFE is outstanding with ipod and laptop connections and lots of gizmo's I don't understand, but comfort comes first and I will stick with Malaysian for a comfortable ride :zzz:

My standard routes are KL/SIN to London and Johannesburg, long time sitting on the coccyx :*

Xeque
11th Oct 2009, 13:26
I love the fact that the person in front, when reclining their seat, is no longer going to intrude into your space. Well done Cathay Pacific. The sooner the rest emulate you the better.
BUT... Why does the seat pan (the bit your bum is resting on) stay flat? That's the worst thing about economy class seats. With a flat seat pan you start sliding forward the moment you recline the seat and you end up with your bum suspended in the air and all your weight on the base of your spine. The front of the seat pan has only to raise or or two inches to stop this.
Once reclined and not sliding forward the leg issue can be taken car off with some support under the calves (provided your airline hasn't taken away the space with a box of IFE tricks.

Load Toad
12th Oct 2009, 08:21
fleshy soft bum cheeks

Speak for yourself!