PDA

View Full Version : Canberra's going down

Wanderin_dave
30th Sep 2009, 06:31
HMAS Canberra that is, this sunday. To be set up as an artificial reef off of Barwon Heads. As my father is involved with the people who have made this happen he wants to head out in an aircraft and have a look when she goes.

I just want to make sure that there won't be a temporary restriced area set up over the top as they're using explosives.

Nothing in NOTAMS, am I missing anything? How far out are NOTAMS usually posted for events like this (if any)?

Wally Mk2
30th Sep 2009, 10:13
Reading the very interesting web site on the scuttling of this ship it mentions that an exclusion zone will be set up prior to the scuttling operation. Not too sure if that means an area above (as in skyward) the ship will also have restrictions during the sinking.
Should be very interesting to watch just the same. Amazing what went on pre sinking, the gutting of the ship alone for environmental reasons is amazing.

Wmk2

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2009, 11:34
Have you got the website, I might head over if the weather is decent for a change?

Kelly Slater
30th Sep 2009, 11:35
Sink it close enough in to create real reef, one with a wave on it.

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2009, 11:47
Answered my own question.

October 2009: Birdon Group (http://www.birdongroup.com) tow the ex HMAS Canberra out to the site, orientate it properly and sink the ship.
— Tow to site: Saturday, 3 October 2009. Expected to make the Port Phillip Bay Rip crossing during slack water, which is due around 13.29 p.m.
— Scuttle ship: 9.00 a.m. on Sunday, 4 October 2009.

Might struggle to get up with Daylight Savings happening!

frigatebird
30th Sep 2009, 21:33
The wartime Canberra sunk by the Japanese in the night engagement off Savo Island was too deep to scuba dive on. And would have been a war grave. Have dived plenty of other war wrecks.
How deep will this one be, and will it be able to be dived on? Is that the whole point?

Remember when a P.& O. cruise ship (can't remember it's name) called at Santo and took on fuel oil from the sunken troopship liner "President Coolidge" because it had started seeping out onto surrounding reefs.

That was a pretty deep air dive to get to see the 'Lady and the Unicorn' ceramic above the fireplace in the main stateroom at 45 metres. Couldn't stay down there long, and had to decompress for a while at stages on the way up. Was there to pick up an aircraft, but had to wait a few days til it was fixed.

Wanderin_dave
30th Sep 2009, 23:31
Try www.hmascanberra.com.au (http://www.hmascanberra.com.au/) too. I doubt the exclusion zone set up includes skywards by the way they've worded it, but you never know. The 500m interception zone would be fun airborne!

Need to commit to the old man early, but don't want to get stung by a late notice NOTAM.

Captain Sand Dune
1st Oct 2009, 00:17
Oohh....HMAS Canberra.

For a minute there I thought that the actual city of Canberra was "going down". Certainly would make the rest of Australia happy. Not to mention richer. Oh well, dreams are free I guess.

Worrals in the wilds
1st Oct 2009, 01:08
How deep will this one be, and will it be able to be dived on? Is that the whole point?

frigatebird,

Yep, it's for divers, similar to the ex-HMAS Brisbane off Mooloolaba, although it won't be available for diving for a while (prep work, safety checks etc).

Apparently there were some delays do to governmental concern about the Canberra containing asbestos, while the diving community gently explained that asbestos fibres aren't a problem when you're underwater breathing from a self contained tank :rolleyes:

The top of the bridge should be at about 9.5 metres. The bridge deck at 12 metres. The main deck should be 15 metres at the bow and 18 metres at the stern
The depth at the base of the HMAS Canberra is intended to be about 27 metres, well within the limits for Advanced certification holders.
From diveoz.com.au, can't vouch for the accuracy. Thread link below.
ex HMAS Canberra Reef - Victoria - World Class Temperate Water Diving Destination (http://www.hmascanberra.com.au/)
Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - ex HMAS Canberra Sinking Update (http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22079)

VH-UFO
1st Oct 2009, 01:20
Geez, that was my first ship posting in 1986 when in the RAN.

Did a couple of Asian and 1 RIMPAC cruise on it.

Boy, i am getting old.

FFG 02
1st Oct 2009, 06:41
VH-UFO,

Yeah you might feel old, but now I have to come up with a new pprune handle.
Time marches on!

Farewell me ol' war canoe zero two!

FFG 02