PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on Uk airlines hiring criteria.

Oranguzee
29th Sep 2009, 18:06
Hi there,
Did some research and found out that most European carriers are turning to Integrated graduates from various schools,e.g Tap(CAE evora),Iberia(CAE Spain),Air France(SFT),Lufthansa(intercockip/lufthansa ft),KLM(KLM flight school-Eelde,Netherlands),and so on,like British Airways(OAA/FTE/Cabair) ,will only hire integrated candidates.

Now,besides Ryannair,Easy and Flybe,who else will take modulars?What's the situation with BMI and Monarch?I'm not finished with my training yet,just got a ppl and I am studying the possibility of enroling on Oxford's Waypoint programme,as much as I loved to do an Integrated course,can't afford it just yet,and let's face it,Britain is technically bankrupt.
I'm seriously considering into look for jobs in Africa,South America or Asia once I'm qualified,to gain experience,since I dont have the SJS(shinny jet syndrome),however,when a guy have woman,cat,house,car,job,gym mates,football mates etc.. is hard to leave everything for a "jungle flying adventure".

So,any thoughts,would be appreciated!:ok:

p.s-I don't want to start another mod v integrated,I have my views regarding both routes,whether you agree or not,I have a right to hold my opinion,so lets not go that route.All I want to know,is where are the modular candidates opportunities,or let me re-phrase,where were the opportunities when times were good,who hires modular pilots?

happy flying

Orangutan+chimpanzee=Oranguzee:}

Matt101
29th Sep 2009, 18:21
Surely that's not very complimentary to your parents?????.... anyway I digress, much like a stuborn turd you will probably find it hard ot get rid of the mod vs. int debate however we can all live in hope.

What I would say is that so far as UK airlines are concerned although integrated students may find it easier to get recommendations to airlines (as they are consistently with the same school or already on a "tagged" scheme), there doesn't seem, based on my friends backgrounds, too much of a problem to get your foot in the door with a modular qualification. (Caveat being that this WAS the case now you'd be lucky to get anyone to the door! with any type of qualification)

However as you say, times are bloody hard. Hopefully some of the crusties will be along with some more useful info soon - really I just had to reply because of your Oranguzee comment! :E

Oranguzee
29th Sep 2009, 18:40
Surely that's nothing of your business,and,you won't find it anywhere in my post that I am a late teen,looking to hang their parent's house in massive debt.

If you really want it to know I'm 30,approaching 31 and lost my parent's at young age,never saw a penny and I'm funding flight training myself.Nothing wrong with that,right?

So arrogance aside...thanks for the reply,I see your point,was just gathering some infos,got two friends,who completed their licences in 2006,good fellas,above 90% in the atpl exams,one with a MSc in aerospace engineering,mature,etc...no job yet,turned down several times for being modular

The Oranguzee comment was my missus,:)had to answer my phone,she finished the post.
Aparently I look like a mixture o both monkeys(who understands women)lol

Anyway,anyone else with a good insight

Flintstone
29th Sep 2009, 18:48
Surely that's nothing of your business,and,you won't find it anywhere in my post that I am a late teen,looking to hang their parent's house in massive debt.

I think Matt may have been referring to your 'Chimp+Orangutang' comment but don't let that stop you jumping to a conclusion and then down his throat. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you get to the MCC and CRM stages of your training :rolleyes:

Matt101
29th Sep 2009, 19:14
sorry dude flinty is right you have completey misinterpreted my post ah well...

G SXTY
29th Sep 2009, 19:59
Off the top of my head, Flybe, Jet2, Eastern, Aurigny, to name but several.

When they're hiring, that is.

Bealzebub
29th Sep 2009, 21:12
Presentation is everything. Whatever method of training is undertaken to enable someone to achieve their ambition, is all wasted if nobody can understand or read what you are writing. That also holds true if attempting to do so is like wading through treacle. The entire core of airline training and operation these days is centred on communication. It is the focal point of good CRM. It is vital to be considered for, and successful at an interview. If you can develop these skills with a polished set of qualifications, you should have a reasonable chance for success within the general status quo of the airline labour market at any given time. Without them, nobody is seriously going to look twice.

Oranguzee
29th Sep 2009, 21:39
Ok,I've misinterpreted your comment and I sincerely apologise for that!no hard feelings but I wasn't being rude!sometimes this bussiness of not communicating face-to-face causes trouble.

Dont take me wrong,my tone wasn't a agressive one,at least,didn't meant to be.

And yeah,perhaps they wouldn't be too pleased....lol

Thank you for your feedback guys.Not a good time to put my mortage at risk so I'm more inclined to modular anyway.In regards to CRM,it's an ongoing work,I do consider myself a peoples person,but you're never stop learning,and I'm not afraid to admit so.

once again thank you,keep the comments coming!:ok:

Mikehotel152
29th Sep 2009, 21:51
I think your research is a little simplistic. Yes, on the face of it Integrated FTOs have historic links to certain Airlines and therefore many of their new low-hour pilots come from those particular FTOs. Some of it is narrow-minded old-school crustiness; some pragmatism; some laziness; some common-sense. What your research doesn't show is that the Airlines who usually recruit through Integrated FTOs are stagnant or shrinking, verging on bankruptcy, and have put most of their recruitment on hold. In good times, those FTOs are a very good bet for a decent Jet job.

In the current economic climate or for people who aren't necessarily looking for a Jet job first off, going Modular opens different doors. Modular pilots tend to have more diverse backgrounds and/or are a little older than those trooping through the glassy doors into the Integrated FTOs. Some Airlines prefer those kinds of people; some really don't care. It just so happens that the current major recruiter in the UK, and arguably the world, takes anybody who makes the grade.

The key point, I suppose, is that if you are desperate to get into a particular 'Flag Carrier' as a low-hour pilot you will have to go to the appropriate Integrated FTO. If you don't want to pay the premium to have that opportunity or don't see much point doing so in the current economic climate, go either route, as IMHO neither route closes doors.

Flintstone
29th Sep 2009, 22:02
Weeeeell...............ok then. Seeing as you're sorry. (Nice grovelling btw ;) )

Why only airlines? Bizjets are a good way to go, lots of second career types who seem to settle in better than many ex-airline folks maybe because our line of work often requires a self-starter frame of mind.

Let me see, a Lo-Co plastic coated interior that needs hosing out at the end of each flight or one with leather, silk and gold-plated fittings not smelling of Stella* farts. Hmmmmm, toughie.

*The beer. Apologies to any cabin crew named Stella.

Oranguzee
29th Sep 2009, 22:22
Off course man,I'm not a bad guy lol:}

And yeah,I'll fly a DC 3 carrying pigs and chicken if I can!I dont have the shinny jet syndrome as I said earlier.I've found an interesting article about the south american market,as its powerhouse(Brazil) ,needs something in the region of 1200 pilots a year where its only producing half of that figure.

Now,there's no integrated training over there,all the pilots are modular,and Tam,would take low houred pilots as long they have a degree.There's a new airline,lo cost called Webjet,they are hiring pilots,the last one being a 35 year old 250hr candidate.They have an old fleet of 5 737-300.There's another one called Passaredo,they have EMB 120 advanced and ERJ 145's,also hiring.The problem is I dont speak the lingo:ugh:
A friend of mine put me in contact with the chief of recruitment of a air taxi company in argentina,since I speak spanish.
I'm keeping the doors open!

I'll keep it up,plan B is to save money untill I can afford integrated,and Plan C,D and E is applying to two sponsorship schemes,Cathay Pacific and Atlantic airlines,but I dont think We will win the world cup next year and I dont believe in santa either lol

Once again,I'm sorry for the misunderstanding