PDA

View Full Version : Working whilst flying

Put1992
29th Sep 2009, 14:47
I'm looking to commence ATPL training in around a years time. I've considered the different routes to (eventually) get to the RHS of any aircraft. I beleive a structured modular course would be best for me. However, with lack of funding assistance available for this route, and the large risk even if there was, I am looking at working whilst learning to fly.

I already have my PPL, and would like to know about any past experiences of going through this route. Days working/days flying? What kind of job? Success? Failure?

I've done a search for this sort of thing, but didnt have much luck.

Cheers.

Put.

sion22
29th Sep 2009, 15:08
you are quite right
do not give up the day job
and DO consider uni

build up your hours and take a cheap ATPL course like from CATS

then in two years time the world will look rosier hopefully

Blueskyrich
29th Sep 2009, 17:18
Fellow Brummie,

Firstly, I can only echo what Sion said - stick with your job. A job is a job, especially at times like this.

I was in your shoes 4 or so years back. Already having your PPL is an excellent start. I'm not sure on your funding options so your next move is really dependant on that. I had funding in place, so my next move was a D/L groundschool for the ATPL. Working full-time, I completed this in around 18 months. Remember, you'll probably need to use your holiday leave to attend the brush-up courses and your exams.

Then, once they were all passed I moved on to hour-building. Took a couple of trips to the US to do this, again using holiday leave and a few days unpaid leave. Also did some hour building over here as I wanted to have some recent experience of flying in UK airspace and conditions. A good mix is important I think.

I was lucky enough to be able to persuade my employer to then give me 3 months' unpaid leave to go and do my CPL, IR and MCC. In the end, as with all good aviation plans, it was going to take longer so I handed in my notice as I didn't see it as fair on my employer.

I knew I would be able to find temp. work after the completion of the CPL/IR and I had something there (whilst not guaranteed!) to fall back on. As it happened, I was massively lucky (and I cannot emphasise the importance of fortune) to be called for an interview only 4 months after finishing off. For reasons I don't actually know or would even understand, I was offered a job which I now do, and which I love and absolutely adore.

The modular route is a wonderful route for people who already have some sort of profession/job and offers a good balance between experience/study/finance and sanity.

One final thing, it's a marathon not a sprint. With time comes experience, and experience can only make you a better pilot.

no sponsor
29th Sep 2009, 21:35
I worked while I studied for all of my flight training. I took 4 months unpaid leave to complete my CPL/IR and a bit of hour building. If you search my old posts, I've given a breakdown of my routine when I studied for the ground examinations.

It took a bit of time, but I had no debts at the end of it. However, judging by the bankruptcy thread, so will many others!

The most important thing is to have contacts to give you a head start. I was very fortunate that my school (PAT in Bournemouth) got my CV in front of the right people, and I got a job. However, when I was in an airline I saw many young chaps who had borrowed the money, went to a integrated school, and had saved themselves 3-5 years over me. I suppose you take your chances. That isn't happening today, but I am sure it will happen again.

Make sure you time your end of training to finish around Sept/Oct time for interviews for recruitment straight out of training. You lose currency very quickly.