PDA

View Full Version : NZ Hurricane

Trojan1981
29th Sep 2009, 00:00
Does anyone know what happened to the Hawker Hurricane that was up for auction in NZ over the weekend? Did it sell? If so how much did it go for and will it stay in NZ?

Just dreaming...:zzz:

sleemanj
29th Sep 2009, 01:15
Passed in substantially below the reserve.

conflict alert
29th Sep 2009, 02:03
according to the christchurch press top bid was 2.5 million so was passed in - apparently, according to the press, looking for or was hoping to get 4 million

Trojan1981
29th Sep 2009, 05:11
OK Cheers. I wonder where that bid came from.

saabsforever
29th Sep 2009, 21:24
A mere deep sub-tropical depression would not be worth much at all than:)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Sep 2009, 01:59
Two questions....

Was that the Hurricane that performed so beautifully at Wananka Easter 2008?

Can anyone advise if it MAY be performing again in 2010?......

Any 'Millionaires' out there who want to keep it
'as is' / where is???

Sigh.....
(From 'Sigh For A Merlin'....a LUVLY book by Alex Henshaw......):ok::ok:

Konev
30th Sep 2009, 10:14
yes it is the alpine collection hurri IIA that was on display. glad to see it passed in to be honest, means i will be able to drool over it more :D

I16
30th Sep 2009, 12:06
Considering that a non-flying Spitfire was sold at auction last year for $NZ2.8 ... maybe the auction house failed to attract the buyers with lots of bucks to bid for this one.

Front Pit
30th Sep 2009, 12:34
Four Million?? Gee I'm only three million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety dollars short!...... Maybe I could do a trade for the '79 Commodore.

Former Qantas boss Geoff Dixon left with a tidy 10 million for his final five months work maybe he'd like to buy it. On second thought no forget that idea he'd want to have it painted in Jetstar colours :rolleyes: :E

Great aircraft, unsung hero of the Battle of Britain, and hope it keeps flying in good hands........ and if I win this week's lottery! ;)

M14_P
1st Oct 2009, 06:09
Yeh Sigh for a Merlin is a fantastic read, have you seen the video MH434: A Spitfire's Story, Alex is interviewed throughout, great production.
I was chatting with Ray mulqueen at his office yesterday (the chief engineer formerly of the now closed Alpine Fighter Collection) about some other stuff and yeh they are just trying to get rid of it asap! I guess AirNZ must be getting something from teh sale given how much they gave in free labour to get it flying.
I think the Hurricane just isn't as desirable as the Yak 3/Spit/P-40 etc etc due to it's lower performance and lack of a second seat, most people are tightening their wallets even the guys with all these neat aeroplanes but who knows they may well find a buyer out of the blue.

cavemanzk
1st Oct 2009, 06:44
what are the skyhawk's going for? Might be worth trying to sell them off within New Zealand.

Fris B. Fairing
1st Oct 2009, 09:48
I'm guessing that all will be revealed temora or the next day.

likes2fly
2nd Oct 2009, 01:14
No pun intended huh frisbee??

Are you talking skyhawk or hurricane rumours there??

i.dingbat
2nd Oct 2009, 03:19
Let's hope Hurricane (crosses fingers) :ok:

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Oct 2009, 04:50
likes2fly

Just being a little bit mischievous although I suppose my guess could be equally valid for either type.

Rgds