PDA

View Full Version : multi engine hire

Flashheart II
28th Sep 2009, 19:17
Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might find a cheap twin engine piston aircraft to hire for 30-40 hours PIC in UK or abroad?

Cheers

JUST-local
28th Sep 2009, 19:36
I used this Seneca 1 at Blackpool a few months back to revalidate my MEP.

Was good value! I will be getting checked out in it again for a couple of trips, will be next year now though :sad:!

Ask about a block of hours on it and you will be pleasantly surprised, I was but as I said have just not got round to it yet!

I think there are a few other threads on MEP hire? I'm sure someone who knows how to use the search function will be along shortly with a link for you.

:ok:

adverse-bump
28th Sep 2009, 21:19
one must ask why!

if your doing it bcoz you think it will make you look better to an employer, dont waste your time. yes stay current but your talking about spending 6k minimum!

why not go and use that money to do an FIC? build some hours, while being paid, LEARN - ALOT, have fun and prob make a few contacts that will help you out in a year or so when the market picks up.

I did one a few years ago, got a job the day i took the test, did 6 months, got an air taxi job (same company), then after scaring myself doing that for 4 months, got an airline job.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
28th Sep 2009, 21:51
I did it recently to build the hours required for the Multi Engine Instructor Rating. I live in Spain and rented a Partenavia from Nivel 195 in Granada, the prices were ok and it was convenient as they only required a minimum of 2 hours per day. Great aircraft to fly too!

The cheapest I found was in the UK, although after a month of trying to sort one out with 5 different companies not one of them came through in the end!

Good luck!

JUST-local
28th Sep 2009, 22:41
adverse-bump is quite right.

I would advise doing an FIC (if you have not already and you can get some flying!), its a right place right time thing!
I did mine a couple of years ago and have flown almost every day since :)
Like many others I will be using the hours towards those required for the MEP class rating instructor course and because it should be a bit of fun at the same time. :O

Flashheart II
29th Sep 2009, 12:03
Thanks for the reply. I've already got an FIC with NIght and IRI but I need to build 30 PIC multi hours so that I can do the MEI course. I have over a 1000 hours and I feel I need to move onto the next step. MEI seems the only real option for me right now but its going to cost me!

scottiel8
30th Sep 2009, 23:56
theres a place in florida called aviator inc that after an inital check out, you can get a pretty new, duchess for $US7500 / 100HOURS.

SEEMS A NO BRAINER IF YOUR WILLING TO TRAVEL.

SCOTT:ok:

FREQUENTFLYER1234
1st Oct 2009, 06:08
Also there's a place in the uk www.aircraftgrouping.com (http://www.aircraftgrouping.com) I looked into these guys and this was the best deal I found for the 30 hours on the DA42, I don't live in the UK so didn't go with it at the time. I also found a cheap Seneca at East Mids but I seem to remember it was out for new engines. I tried loads of others and just got messed around. Best of luck, it's a great course and flying the twin brightens my day up when I've been hammering the SE time over and over again.

Off the point but usefel anyway, I did the course with Mark Young from Ontrack and really enjoyed it.

Best of luck!

FlyBoyFryer
1st Oct 2009, 06:41
www.aircraftgrouping.com (http://www.aircraftgrouping.com/)

Good headsup! If only there was a similar type operator nearer Edinburgh... *sigh*

Bless the DA-42 - what a joy to fly. I don't care what anyone says about the engines and various tech faults... it's still a beautiful aircraft and I'd happily trade my mother-in-law for one. Trust she's not reading this...

Flashheart II
1st Oct 2009, 19:41
Again thanks for those replies everyone. About the Fly Aviator company though. I read on another thread on Prune that you can only log half the time as PIC as you are sharing the flying.

Still weighing up all the options. I know of one instructor who found a pilot who owned a twin but had lost his medical. So he flew with him and logged PIC for nothing. Opportunities like that are few and far between though!

portsharbourflyer
2nd Oct 2009, 21:15
Under FAA rules a safety pilot on a SPA class is allowed to log time. At Ari Ben they pair up two pilots and half your time is flying under the hood as "handling" pilot; the other half you are flying as the safety pilot. Hence under JAA rules only your "handling time can be logged". All the hour building is done at night.

Another thing to bear in mind if you fly and land at an over channel destination (Alderney, Jersey, France etc) then you can claim tax drawback on the fuel in your tanks. I don't know what the current drawback rate is, but when you consider the fuel capacity on an average light twin it can mount up to a reasonable amount.

Flashheart II
3rd Oct 2009, 09:28
Yes of course I forgot about the tax drawback on fuel. Thanks for the reminder!