PDA

View Full Version : Overhead re-join

bomb
27th Sep 2009, 23:02
Hi, Just a quick one for those who fly in the USA. Is there such a thing as an over head rejoin now or have the FAA ruled it out as a standard practice when flying to an unfamiliar aerodrome.

I know that they dont allow it down-under (aussy) but still do in NZ.

Thanks

Bomb

birrddog
27th Sep 2009, 23:06
bomb, the procedure in the FAA far/aim states observe flow of traffic and join on downwind leg.

Some Airports have published procedures for helicopters which require or allow non-pattern joins / approaches.

South Africa still do overhead joins.

I tried to get clarification myself earlier this year and the above was the best answer I could come up with. I am happy to be corrected otherwise.

Gordy
28th Sep 2009, 01:24
Bird:

the procedure in the FAA far/aim states observe flow of traffic and join on downwind leg.

Not quite...FAR 91.126(b)(2) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=739ea98161e5a64a397084e420450b46&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.2.4.14&idno=14) Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace, states:

(2) Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

I personally go direct to my landing spot and never get above 500 AGL.

birrddog
28th Sep 2009, 01:52
Gordy, thanks for the clarification.

Gordy
28th Sep 2009, 02:25
birddog---You're welcome.

The info I posted is only for uncontrolled airports. However, I find that I always go direct to where I want to land anyway. A lot of airports are not used to helicopters and will normally allow you to do what you ask for--within reason.

Unhinged
28th Sep 2009, 03:53
I know that they dont allow it down-under (aussy)

Not so. There's nothing at all to stop this at a non-controlled airport in Australia, and it is frequently used, although most pilots wouldn't know it by this name. The only places it's not allowed are where there is a specific local procedure (eg Camden aerodrome rules require joining the circuit on upwind)

At a non-controlled airport in Oz, helicopter pilots have two main options: (1) Join the circuit in the same way as aeroplanes, or (2) Avoid the circuit altogether (not above 500 AGL, don't cross centreline of an active runway, don't interfere with the circuit traffic, etc)

Runway101
2nd Oct 2009, 14:23
(2) Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

I've originally been taught that if the planks do left traffic, I am supposed to do right traffic (FAA-land). We'd still join on downwind leg if there were other helicopters in the pattern.

FH1100 Pilot
2nd Oct 2009, 15:20
Okay, but where does it say you *have* to do a downwind entry? When it comes to airport traffic patterns, the U.S. FARs are notoriously - and I think deliberately - vague. Until something bad happens and the federales get involved with their big "VIOLATION" ink stamp at the ready. Then it's, "Oh, Mr. Airplane Pilot, so you were making RIGHT traffic?" Or, "Oh, Mr. Helicopter Pilot, so you were NOT avoiding the flow of fixed-wing traffic?"

Runway101
3rd Oct 2009, 08:00
I am not sure if it says somewhere you *have* to do a downwind entry, but the AIM certainly *recommends* you to do so. If the A/FD would give specific instruction on entry, I guess that would be a rule to go by.

Advisory Circular: AC 90-66A Recommended Standards Traffic Patterns for Aeronautical Operations at Airports without Operating Control Towers (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/74C9017C9457E4AB862569D800780551?OpenDocument)