PDA

View Full Version : CAA License

SACKITOFF
27th Sep 2009, 08:53
I have recently been experiencing a problem with the CAA refusing to issue me a CPL(A) as they believe I do not meet the requirements. I was wondering if anyone had any advise that might help, or knew of any cases similar to mine.

In June I completed a Co-pilot’s tour on the HS125 having flown the aircraft for 2.5 years. I recently crossed over to rotary wing and currently undergoing flying training.

Last year I attended Bristol Ground and passed all 14 ATPL theory exams. I also obtained a CAA Class 1 Medical and passed an Instrument Rating Test with a CAA examiner on the HS125 (28 May 09).

My hours on the HS125 for the period 26 Feb 07 to 18 Jun 09 were as follows:

1st Pilot day and night – 328:55
2nd pilot day and night – 250:50
Dual day and night – 12:50

Total HS125 – 592:35
Total Flight Time (including previous flying) – 769:10

I completed my paperwork and submitted an application for a CPL(A) IR to the CAA. Unfortunately my application was rejected, as I did not satisfy the requirement for 100 hours PIC. I quickly realised after reading LASORS that this was simply a difference between the ways that military pilots record flight time compared to civilian pilots.

LASORS Section A, Appendix B (Recording of Flight Time p40-41), describes differences in the recording of civilian flight time and military flight time. This section states the following:

PIC Flight Time:
A co-pilot acting as PIC under the supervision of the PIC on an aeroplane on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aeroplane or as required by JAR-OPS provided such PIC time under supervision (see paragraph 5 below) is countersigned by the PIC.

PICUS (Pilot-in-command under supervision):
Provided that the method of supervision is acceptable to the authority, a co-pilot may log as PIC flight time flown as PICUS, when all of the duties and functions of PIC on that flight were carried out in such a way that the intervention of the PIC in the interest of safety was not required.

LASORS also states in Appendix B (table headed ‘Military Flight Time’) that the military equivalent to ‘PICUS’ is P1 (non-captain). It follows then that my hours accumulated as P1 (non-captain) on the BAE125 are equivalent to PICUS, and that if those hours are countersigned by the PIC (aircraft captain), then they can be logged as PIC.

I have tried to explain this to the CAA, but they are saying that for the issue of a CPL, PICUS hours cannot be used; however, it does not say this anywhere in LASORS, and as far as I can see I do meet the requirements.

Apologies for the long post, but felt it was the only way to explain my case. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Many thanks

The Real Slim Shady
27th Sep 2009, 09:02
You are confusing PIC and PICUS.

As an FO ( co-pilot) you log P2 time when the Cdr is pilot flying.

When you are PF you log PICUS and the Capt signs your logbook to verify the entry.

You can only be PIC when you are in command, either as PF or PNF /PM.

Might be worthwhile though going back to them and asking for a clear statement of their requirements, or going to another EU Ops authority.

jayteeto
27th Sep 2009, 09:16
Only remember this from my distant past, but it may still be valid. Only a certain number of hours may be used 'under supervision'. The rest must be aircraft captain. The easy answer is go to a flight school (florida maybe) with a PPL in your hand. Do a load of hours flying around in circles and learning absolutely nothing, then you have PIC time!! Easy!!
It got me an ATPL (A) even though I am a helicopter pilot.