PDA

View Full Version : Aust ATPL to NZ ATPL?

777WakeTurbz
27th Sep 2009, 03:02
Simple question, is there a conversion exam/flight test involved or is the ATPL a trans tasman type thing, if you hold an Aust ATPL then you hold a NZ ATPL?

The way things are at the moment i would consider crossing the ditch should work become available in NZ and cant seem to find anywhere that tells me what i would need to do to convert my Aus ATPL to work in NZ...

Cheers

Artificial Horizon
27th Sep 2009, 03:09
Under the trans-tasman mutual recognition act (TTMRA) the qualifications are transferrable without any further testing. You would have to download the appropriate form, get your logbook certified as correct (by a solicitor / JP / other trustworthy person) the pay you fee and get a NZ Medical. Wait a little bit and a nice shiny NZ ATPL will show up in the mail. Have a look on Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand (http://www.caa.govt.nz) , all will be explained:ok:

frigatebird
27th Sep 2009, 05:08
Swimming against the current !!?! The new licence holders from N.Zed and Fiji flying schools swim the other way into the Pacific.. At least you already have an ATPL..

Sqwark2000
27th Sep 2009, 10:04
The TTMRA allows the conversion of any current professional license. So yes, you can get a NZCPL - convert to Aus CPL - gain a Aus ATPL - convert to NZATPL no problem.

I was under the impression you could get the converted license based on your current medical but would require a full initial Class 1 issue in the country you transfered to when your original medical lapses.... so the next medical after your conversion will be a throughly expensive exercise...

777WakeTurbz
28th Sep 2009, 02:33
lol, Every medical is a thoroughly expensive exercise! :ugh::}

Cheers for the info guys. :ok:

helifella
8th Oct 2009, 02:22
777WakeTurbz; if you hold an AU ATPL, AND a multi engine endorsement, AND a CIR, then it's just a case of doing the TTMRA and you should be awarded the NZ ATPL without requiring a flight test.

One of my colleagues tried what Sqwark2000 suggested and was denied. He had an NZ CPL, did TTMRA transfer, was awarded an AU CPL, then got AU ATPL. But when he tried to convert to NZ ATPL they refused his TTMRA application because he did not have an endorsement in a multi engine aircraft and did not have an instrument rating.

Another guy had issues with his Ag Rating going to NZ because of the different minimum requirements.

So the TTMRA isn't quite as simple some people make out. You still need to meet the minimum requirements of the country you are getting the conversion to. If you meet them, then yes, it's that simple.

Although in saying that, I know of some guys whose NZ C cat Heli instructors ratings managed to gain them Grade 2 ratings in AU even though they didn't meet the minimum total hour requirements.

Maybe NZ is more pedantic.

solowflyer
8th Oct 2009, 03:31
Yes as you say NZ is pedantic but NZCAA is so much easier to deal with than CASA:ugh:

Unhinged
8th Oct 2009, 05:07
He had an NZ CPL, did TTMRA transfer, was awarded an AU CPL, then got AU ATPL. But when he tried to convert to NZ ATPL they refused his TTMRA application because he did not have an endorsement in a multi engine aircraft and did not have an instrument rating.

Something's not right here - You need a current or previous multi-engine command instrument rating to get an Australian ATPL(A). If he had ever had a ME-CIR, then he would also have had an endorsement in a multi-engine aircraft.

CAR 5.165: "(d) holds, or has held, a command (multi-engine aeroplane) grade of instrument rating; "

romeocharlie
8th Oct 2009, 07:51
Pacific Blue hiring perhaps? Hence the swimming against the current - well it's what I've been looking at anyway.

bowing
8th Oct 2009, 12:11
Jet Connect are hiring at this very moment:ok:F/Os

oeinnz
5th Nov 2009, 00:58
poisi0n.. "Can you transfer an Australian ATPL to NZ ATPL under the TTMRA if you already hold an NZ CPL? Or do you need to do the flight test/exams in NZ?"

You still have to meet the requirements for the NZ ATPL. (and any other Prime rating you intend to transfer).

http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/ttmra_licence_issue_package_editorial_revision_november_2006 .pdf

Its not mentioned in this document but NZ ATPL requires 25 hours night cross country, so I guess you would have to have that as well.

glekichi
6th Nov 2009, 02:13
Here's a tricky one:

When you hold an NZ CPL + MECIR and a CASA ATPL, and transfer, is your instrument rating then current in NZ or will you still need to do a renewal?

If you didn't hold an instrument rating then you get one with the same expiry in the other country, but if you hold one already then you need to renew it in the other country. But, would the issue of an ATPL be counted as a new licence and then allow the IR to be transferred with it?

And yes... CAA are an absolute dream to deal with after dealing with CASA.

Sqwark2000
7th Nov 2009, 17:58
is your instrument rating then current in NZ or will you still need to do a renewal?

I believe, that in order to gain equivalent ratings and licences that those ratings etc have to be current at time of conversion.

i.e. an uncurrent instructor rating will not convert, only the Licence, provided it is "current" with BFR's etc.

So you should have current instructor and instrument ratings when you apply.

S2K