PDA

View Full Version : Got me a problem here chaps

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 13:59
Putting together a new machine for Bro Draper,he is using HP Deskstar? I think it is called at the mo,entirely new machine,the idea being that once the machine is built I will install his hard disk from the old machine thus saving all his stuff.
Now I have done this before on numerous occasions,ie recently changed the Motherboard and CPU in mine no probs,when it boots up with the new MB it asks for the various new MB drivers then load them and bobs yer unk,off it trots happy as pig in you know what.
However this MB has only one IDE channel the rest are SATA, I can't get the bloody thing to boot from the transfered IDE hard disk?IIt boots fine from a spare SATA disk I have and it reads the IDE disk fine as a slave,but the buggah will not boot from same,thought one might have knackered said disk banging it about dismantling old puter but no,stuck it back in the HP and it boots and works fine.
Any ideas chaps?
He has a load of stuff on his disk and will do his nut if I lose it.
Help required.:uhoh:
ps,I have set the boot priority to Hard Disk in Bios,saying that this version of bios is a bit starnge to me,any way I can totally disable the sata channel.

green granite
26th Sep 2009, 14:26
What breed and model number is the Mother board Tony?

Bushfiva
26th Sep 2009, 14:35
Have a look at the BIOS settings again, and look for anything that will tell it to look to the IDE drive to boot. Make sure that the IDE drive is cabled or jumpered as the master. Since you've got a motherboard with lots of SATA and one IDE, I'm guessing the IDE master is set to cable select, which means you want to try changing the drive to the other connector on the IDE cable. You're trickling the info out, I see: as GG says, you need to tell us the motherboard type for best results.

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 14:47
The MB is a cheap cheerfull Biostar MCP6P M2+ chap in the shop who one has done business with for years says it's cheapo but a goodo and he could have sold me a more expensive one,
MB is AMD 2 pci express, single IDE channel six sata connectors two pci slots two ddr memory channels
Dont think there is owt wrong wi the MB it jst is not co operating,tried various jumper setting on the various HDisks I've tried seems happy to accept them as slaves or even masters but will not boot from them,just keeps dumping me into the start window last good config/safe/normal mode,
I keep going round in circles
Hmmm, just had a look at the jumper setting on bro's hard disk
Device Master
Device Slave
Cable Select
Forcing Device Present?
not heard of that one before,always just used the Master or Slave option
Would it harm if I tried cable select setting or Forcing Devi present

Bushfiva
26th Sep 2009, 15:13
User manual p7, check IDE channel master is what you expected.

User manual p10-12, boot disk priority.

If the new chipset is too different from the original computer, you may need to consider booting from a CD and doing an "install" followed by "Repair existing" (as opposed to the totally evil "repair" option). But don't go to either of these places unless you're desperate.

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 15:41
Yer was thinking of that,times I have loaded a operating system on top of a duff exiiting one I have finished up with the same prob,possibility? his machine has a older version of WinXP pro and I have a more recent version if I told it to upgrade would he lose all his stuff ie all the progs drivers folders and such he has downloaded?
I think I downloaded service pack 3 to his machine and my XP CD is the service pack 2 version.
Ideally copy his disk in its entirity over to the new SATA disk would be the answer but I haven't a clue how to do that,just shifter folders and stuff across in the past.:(

green granite
26th Sep 2009, 15:51
You only need to copy files and folders including all of the "My Documents" folders including the hidden ones, copying prog or os files is not required or meaningful.. Once you're certain you've got all his docs, just format the IDE drive and re-install XP.

Keef
26th Sep 2009, 16:12
Somewhere, there's a toggle that tells the machine to boot off the IDE disk.

What does it do if you boot it with ONLY the IDE connected? Do you get the "No boot drive" thing, or does the IDE then work?

I would have thought that somewhere in the BIOS / Boot Menu is a setting to tell it to run the IDE. After all, if there's an IDE connector, it's expecting to see an IDE drive.

Keef
26th Sep 2009, 16:46
If you have a machine with a SATA connection that will boot from the IDE, you could try that "cloning" thing. Copy the whole IDE config to the SATA.

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 17:15
I have given up,gonna build him a new machine with the new SATA hard disk I've copied all the stuff across he needs.
These store bought puters are sneaky, trying to rip out the old MB and one of the screw holes,a hidden one until I removed the hard disk bay had a sort of security rivet in it stopping you just unscrewing the MB and lifting it out,sneaky bastiges,they gorra get up early in the afternoon to beat Draper.
Thanks for the help chaps.
Seems that IDE is a thing of the past,incidently do they make SATA CD ROMS and DVD burners?:uhoh:

Saab Dastard
26th Sep 2009, 17:18
do they make SATA CD ROMS and DVD burners?

Yes, they do.

SD

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 18:35
Hmmm, got a new prob now,machine is up and running fine,now it will not let me install the super dooper PCI express card,it is ok using the on board Nvidia graphic chip,but when I tell it to boot from the PCI Express card it refuses,the screen remains blank,trouble is I need to boot with it in in place to load the drivers but as said super graphic card is also Nvidia it tells me they are the wrong drivers,(of course they are,they are for the pci express card not the on board video chip.
Had this problem once before and solved it but as is the norm with me I cannot remember what I did now.
feckin puters.
:suspect:

Keef
26th Sep 2009, 18:46
Yes, they do make SATA DVD reader/writers. Received wisdom is to use those rather than IDE.

If there's onboard graphics on the mobo, you prolly have to turn that off before it'll let you use a PCI-E graphics card. Somewhere in the fine mobo manual...

Keef
26th Sep 2009, 19:04
Oh - and it should boot OK with the "standard" video drivers and the posh card. You won't get all the clever stuff till you've loaded the proper ones, but it'll work.

green granite
26th Sep 2009, 19:36
Make sure the onboard GPU setting is on 'auto' in the bios, page
18, and the PnP/PCI conifig is correct, page 29 0f the bios manual

tony draper
26th Sep 2009, 22:45
Ok peeps got it sussed re posh graphic card,new problem now is the front panel USB connectors plugs on the puter case do not fit the front panel usb socket ont new motherboard,never mind on has overcome greater probs,out wi me solderin iron I reckon,the board has two USB2 sockets on the back panel but front connectors are handy.
:)
Been at it for about nine hours now. :(

Mike-Bracknell
27th Sep 2009, 09:57
At some point you would need to abandon IDE as a boot device anyway. You were forced to do so this time, but it's not a sustainable strategy transferring old hardware lock-stock to a new PC.

tony draper
27th Sep 2009, 11:37
As one slams shut the door on one prob another rears its ugly noggin.:(
Onboard sound chip now,the driver CD that came with the Motherboard only has a driver for VISTA for some daft reason,dunno why, it has XP drivers for the onboard Nvidia Graphics.
Usual nightmare trying to find the drivers online,find dozens of website that claim to have the very driver you are looking for but when you hit download you find you have downloaded summat that checks your machine for various sins,and nothing whatsoever to do with the driver you seek.
:(
Nevertheless one shall press on.:)

Bushfiva
27th Sep 2009, 12:08
Unless I've missed the plot, why would you go anywhere other than Biostar for your drivers? The driver page at BIOSTAR :: MCP6PB M2+ :: Driver (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/driver.php?S_ID=387) seems to list audio drivers for W2K, 32- and 64-bit XP, and 32- and 64-bit Vista.

tony draper
27th Sep 2009, 12:38
That is exactly what I eventually did Mr B, :ok: sorted now.
Thanks again chaps.:)