PDA

View Full Version : Why coiled leads

TooL8
25th Sep 2009, 20:45
OK - I've done my thread research. I know there's lots of threads on headsets, ANR, silver plugs, bronze plugs etc etc. But I couldn't find an answer to a pretty simple question.

Why do manufacturers produce coiled and straight lead versions of their headset, and why is coiled the popular choice for rotary and straight for non-rotary?

Gordy
25th Sep 2009, 21:10
Prolly for thse of us that spend time with our head out of the door doing VR...although I switch mine out and use staight leads these days.

SASless
25th Sep 2009, 21:58
The coiled ones keep yer head upright while you are snoozing on a post-lunch flight into the Sun.

407 too
25th Sep 2009, 22:37
my worry is the snoozing on a post-lunch flight into the GROUND:O

Gomer Pylot
25th Sep 2009, 22:41
I know why the coiled cord is used by helicopter pilots, but I have no clue as to why straight cords are used by plank drivers. I think it's probably tradition. Planks originally had overhead speakers and a handheld microphone, no headsets. When they started using headsets, there was already a separate mike jack, and it was easy to just add a speaker jack, using two separate plugs from the headset. That's still the way most fixed-wing are outfitted. It's inefficient and clumsy, but that's what they have. Helicopters from the outset used headsets, because it's not easy or even always possible to grab a mike whenever you need to talk on the radio, because it takes both hands for the controls. Helicopters have always, as far as I know, had a single headset jack for each crewmember, and the headsets have a single plug. If you spend a lot of time with your head out the window, looking places other than straight ahead, a coiled cord works much better, and doesn't get tangled in the collective.

bolkow
25th Sep 2009, 23:52
and if it does become tangled it wont put pressure on what its tangled in if you give it a tug as it will simply uncoil a bit, rather like the coiled electric kettles designed so that if a child pulls the cord the kettle wont immeditaely fall on them but the waire will simply uncoil further instead I guess.

jeffham
26th Sep 2009, 01:00
I always thought it was so you rotary guys could pick out us converts easier. :eek:

FH1100 Pilot
26th Sep 2009, 01:38
Gomer is right about tradition and airplanes - the jacks are typically down under the instrument panel. Helicopters *generally* have their plugs closer to the pilot's head, up high, like in the overhead panels. Straight cords would get tangled in the collective.

Even into the 1970's there were really only two helicopter headsets: David Clark and Telex. Both had straight cords. Eventually David Clark wised up and came out with the coiled cord.

Headsets and coiled cords for helicopter pilots - it was like putting peanut butter and chocolate together. The rest is history.

TooL8
27th Sep 2009, 10:00
That's it then, I'm going coiled! There are of course the really sensible safety reasons, but the most compelling reason is clearly so that I can look like I had the buckets of money needed to get my (H) license when in fact I haven't :{

topendtorque
27th Sep 2009, 12:00
Well, when you slam your burning Mirage, sorry, rotary contraption into a wheatfield and you're still alive and functioning, you will have made sure that your headset is not only equipped with a coil lead so's you can get a right whack in the back of the neck as you sprint for your life, and to remind you of your pre crash forgotten check list, but you will also have made sure that on the headset line there is a standard NATO plug that will allow automatically disconnect to allow your unimpeded 'flight' for safety.

Those that are silly enough to equip themselves with headsets that plug in under the dash like, well obviously --- what more can I say?:{:{:{

cholmondeley
27th Sep 2009, 12:02
One must, of course, ensure they are are coiled in the correct manner-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and anticlockwise in the Southern.

SASless
27th Sep 2009, 13:07
Nice theory....but what happens at the Equator? Would they go straight as they swapped direction of the coiling?

zhishengji751
27th Sep 2009, 15:04
I would have expected the coil direction to be determined by the direction of the main rotor.

Lost opportunity by the headset makers ;)

Perhaps tandems get double helix cords?

Gomer Pylot
27th Sep 2009, 15:05
Of course. They should gradually uncoil as the equator nears, and then gradually recoil as it passes. If you live on the equator, you're stuck with straight cords. At least that's one theory...,

Pandalet
28th Sep 2009, 08:46
The coiled ones keep yer head upright while you are snoozing on a post-lunch flight into the Sun.

How bloody high were you flying?!? :eek:

Brilliant Stuff
28th Sep 2009, 09:34
FH 1100 surely you meant Chocolate spread and Salami:ok::ok:

SASless
28th Sep 2009, 13:18
Pandy....I forget this is not a common occurence over the North Sea....perhaps I should have been a bit more detailed in my description. I meant with the Sun in your face...beating down through the rotor blades causing that flickerinig effect we hear so much about...the radio quiet...the other pilot quiet as he has his snooze...and the cabin attendent quiet as he his head drops along with the nose of the helicopter at time of takeoff.

Otherwise...I preferrred being able to drag one toe in the water as I operated on the "Single Scream" concept. If I ever experienced a true cast iron failure I wanted to be able to scream all the way to impact as I felt having time to draw a second breath might give me way too much time to contemplate my wasted life and panic might happen. No sense dying scared and panic stricken....far better to be doiing something postive on the way down!

Pandalet
28th Sep 2009, 15:43
Ooh, I like the 'single scream' concept - I'll definately be using that one!

Robbo Jock
28th Sep 2009, 16:37
I thought the coiled leads were to hold your beer - open out the coils a tad, slide in the can and bingo! right next to the mouth and no need for hands, perfect for a heli pilot.

Can get a bit messy in a high-traffic environment, though. :}

diethelm
29th Sep 2009, 17:25
It is coiled in order to hold your pencil or pen. Nothing worse than dropping one and reaching around the pedals for it.

Runway101
2nd Oct 2009, 14:14
The David Clark you buy at Robinson has a straight cord with a short length. I have been told that's "how Frank likes it and the others could interfere with controls and stuff".