PDA

View Full Version : How to validate my FAA hours to JAA.

ale_mcdowel
25th Sep 2009, 18:01
Hi everyone! Im a pilot that has flown 1500h in the US and just finished my ATPL exams to continue with my JAA conversions to consequently fly in Europe. Can some one give me some guidance in how to validate my hours? Do i really have to make a whole different log book? Do my hours of SIC, me being the sole manipulators of the flight controls count as PIC in Europe? I need some guidance here. Everybody that i talk to in Civil Aviation tells me different story and im going NUTZ! thanks for everibody's help out there! And have a wonderful Day!

BigGrecian
25th Sep 2009, 18:16
Appendix A page 44 of LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors)

If you were flying in a single pilot aircraft there is only ever one PIC under JAA regulations.
Therefore you can't log as it more than supernumerary unless it is certified as a multi pilot aircraft.
Supernumerary isn't worth much - you can log it when sitting in a 737 as a passenger technically.

If you were flying a multi pilot aircraft such as a lear etc - you must hold a full type rating to log any hours. If you held an SIC rating these hours do not count of anything.

In summary if you were instructing - great you log it as instruction given and PIC.

If you were being trained you log it as Dual - note NOT PIC.

If you were hour building with another pilot under safety pilot FAA 91.109 malarky then you can't log all of that time as only one person can ever log that time as PIC as there other guy isn't required to be there. I.e if you log PIC he can't log anything other than Supernumerary - if he logs PIC you can't log anything other than supernumerary - Can quite often half your hour building time - as most people don't enter supernumerary - as anyone who reads it will probably laugh at you.

In short a lot of reading to do in the above reference given.

Jez_G
26th Sep 2009, 11:52
Am I reading the above post correctly?

I am planning to do what the original poster is doing and about to take my ATPL exams. I have about 1500 hrs, a whole mix of stuff. I have approx 700 hrs SIC in jets without full type ratings, 550hrs of which is for a pt 121 carrier with and SIC type.

Is the above post saying that the SIC time won't count? My ar*e was getting sore in the seat with horrendous duty days as well as the captains was (and we all know FO's do all the work ;))!

B2N2
27th Sep 2009, 20:47
If you were flying in a single pilot aircraft there is only ever one PIC under JAA regulations

Correct, but he wasn't flying under JAA regulations at the time.

Can some one give me some guidance in how to validate my hours? Do i really have to make a whole different log book?

What would you need to validate?Why write a new logbook?
Do you have paystubs to prove that you worked at those companies? Can they give you a printout of their accounting system to verify hours flown?
You have your certificates so you have those hours. Do you have a FAA ATP?
If a 135 company requires a SIC and it is noted as such in the Ops Specs you log SIC as it supersedes the FAR's.

If a JAA authority doesn't see it that way there is nothing you can do about it.
But why are you concerned about the CAA? You meet or exceed all the requirements about the issuance of the JAA certificates.
It is how a future employer will look at those hours.
But even then you have the hours and the experience that comes with it, regardless of how you logged those hours and whether they are recognized or not.
Unless I'm really missing they big picture here I wouldn't worry about it.:ok:

Kirks gusset
27th Sep 2009, 21:40
Its really quite simple, you need 500hrs on a JAA approved multi pilot type, which requires a type rating. And a total of 1500 hrs, meeting the night requirements and the LST. to issue the ATPL under JAA. Of course you also need the JAA ATPL exam credits. All they will ask you to do is send in your log books and charge a fee for looking at them! plus the licence fee!