PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Loathing in ASICvegas

hole.digger
25th Sep 2009, 17:02
Embarassingly, watching some reality show on pay TV about the selfless heroes that gallantly patrol our pristene boarders, etc...
Noticed a few on the good side wearing their ASIC cards upside down and a few more were worn sideways. Pretty sure we need to wear the card visible on the torso, but does it need to be readable? I know I can't read upside -down and I'm putting forward a fair guess that there's no English language syllabus in the world that includes upside down/ sideways reading.
So, at work/ play, am I required to buy and wear an ID that nobody needs to read and is therefore not required? Or, should we be worried that our borders are patrolled by people who claim to be able to detect all manner of illegal imports, except the relative up/ down (being sky/ ground)?
Awfully sorry if this has alrady been 'run though' on this site, but wonderment tends to beat intelligent enquiry. Especially on the internet.

Ando1Bar
25th Sep 2009, 21:05
Noticed a few on the good side wearing their ASIC cards upside down

Makes it easier to recall your name.

the air up there
26th Sep 2009, 00:52
Im pretty sure the card just has to be visible. However, I wear mine on the lanyard provided, and no matter how I put it on, the red card always faces my chest. The inspectors have never pulled me up for it.

Makes it easier to recall your name.

Andobar1, I agree. They must be the most expensive name badges ever produced. Mind you, as mine faces my chest most of the time, they are pointless for that purpose.

YPJT
26th Sep 2009, 01:31
Supposed to be displayed above the waist, worn on front or side of body and clearly visible with no part of the card obscured.
At the end of the day there are far more pressing issues that need to be addressed in aviation security than this.:ugh:

rioncentu
26th Sep 2009, 03:38
I have had my ASIC checked several times as part of the local's management process where they must check 4 cards per shift.

The last and most memorable was when I was climbing in the door of the plane. I was actually seated with the door shut when the nazi asked for my card.

"Clear prop" was probably what i should have said. Instead I let loose a tirade of abuse.

Anyone else been checked in such a 'safety sensitive" phase of flight?

I wonder what the Airlines would think of a nazi climbing a ladder and asking for an ASIC in the cockpit of an RPT? Me thinks not.

yes - A crying waste of money (mostly OURS)

Kiwiconehead
26th Sep 2009, 06:34
I got my brand new one yesterday - pity I get made redundant in 3 weeks and hand it back :\

Worrals in the wilds
26th Sep 2009, 06:37
the selfless heroes that gallantly patrol our pristene boarders, etc

One of the reasons I have experienced is that the ASIC displays the bearer's full name (unless you go through a long process to have it on the reverse) and the selfless heroes get sick of deadbeat pax and criminals reading the card and saying things like 'oh, so you're Joan Worralson, are you? Well Joan, I'm lookin your name up in the phone book, ya better be REAL scared, when me mates come round, eh?' and similar conversational gems. Racial slurs based on surname are another highlight of a busy day dealing with bogans.

By the regulations, the card should be displayed above the waist, unobscured and the right way up, but I don't blame people who deal with the public (be they airline or government) for making them a bit less obvious.

PlankBlender
26th Sep 2009, 07:30
I keep the aircraft keys on the same hook as the card holder, doesn't really obscure the card but makes quick reading of the name impossible too.. and is convenient 'cause I don't misplace the darn keys any more :}

Capt Fathom
26th Sep 2009, 07:41
cause I don't misplace the darn keys any more

No! But when you do, your ASIC will go with them! :E

FRQ Charlie Bravo
27th Sep 2009, 02:15
The Regs state that no part of an ASIC may be obscured or obstructed but DOTARs
provides holders with a holder that obstructs part of the face (albeit an incredibly minor
and insignificant portion).

Not a complaint, just an observation.:}

FRQ CB

Pinky the pilot
27th Sep 2009, 02:18
'oh, so you're Joan Worralson, are you? Well Joan, I'm lookin your name up in the phone book, ya better be REAL scared, when me mates come round, eh?'

Worrals; The most appropriate reply to that would be,

'Fine. I'll be waiting, along with my two friends. Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.

Worrals in the wilds
27th Sep 2009, 06:08
To be sure, Pinky, I like that one! Actually I used to say 'Good, 'cos my partner breeds rotweillers and they get so bored in the yard on their own...':hmm:

Did anyone else get an early incarnation of the red ASIC that faded after a week in the sun? A whole batch of them went pale pink and illegible, because no-one in the Design Team realized that some aviation workers work outside.:uhoh: