PDA

View Full Version : UAE ICAO - JAA licence

BA10
25th Sep 2009, 09:59
Hi, firstly forgive me if this has been asked before or is in the wrong thread.....

I have recently been looking at an aviation school called Emirates Aviation Services. They state the following....

"The UAE license given is in accordance with ICAO requirements and is recognized internationally."

Can someone explain what this means?

Does a ICAO licence mean i can use it in Europe?

If i have to convert from a UAE licence to a JAA licence what do i have to do? Does anyone also know how much it will cost to convert?

The licences i am talking about (which i might have to convert) are the ATPL, CPL, PPL, IR and maybe the istructor course and a few more ratings.

Thanks,

BA10
:ok:

funpilot
25th Sep 2009, 19:21
Regarding your inquiry not that uae licence is an ICAO is not FAA or JAA and you cant fly at any JAA country only you do conversion for that you need to do writing JAA,ATPL and its very hard the UAE,GCAA ,CPL only for the ICAO country
And it’s up you & from where r u and what you want to do or you r holding any licence

Regards

SilveR5
26th Sep 2009, 01:49
BA10

UAE licence is just ICAO licence. It's not equivalent to either JAA/EASA or FAA licence. To work in Europe (JAA member states) you've got to hold JAA/EASA licence, or you can convert the ICAO licence to JAA one. The latter is a tedious process that doesn't really worth the effort and time.

Why you want to do your training with Emirates Aviation Services at first place?? It's not a popular name in flight training. The package of PPL+CPL ME+IR will cost around 30,000 GBP without accommodation and costs of living, plus that the course will take about 2 years to complete!! And then you still have to spend not less than 8,000 GBP to do the conversion to JAA licence!! The whole thing will surely exceed the 45K needed to obtain the Frozen JAA ATPL from the UK CAA within one year and a half!

Cheers

funpilot

Do you speak english?!

funpilot
26th Sep 2009, 13:25
SilveR5

yes i do why????:confused:

Oceanic
26th Sep 2009, 14:39
...because you certainly can't write intelligible English!

BA10
27th Sep 2009, 10:10
Thank you so much for all your feedback.

Firstly i dont have a lot of money and 45k seems so much cheaper than doing a course here in the uk.

If you guys know of any flying schools which are cheap could you please let me know. Im finishing my diploma this year so i need to make quick choices, although i dont want to make the wrong one.

Thanks again :D

BA10

littlejet
27th Sep 2009, 10:34
Why don't you go to the US?

Plenty of schools offering cheaper FAA/JAA/ATPL (theory credit) CPL/IR combined. You can even build some hours while instructing under J1 visa (if that still exists)

And if you are thinking about making a wrong choice, becoming a pilot is already a wrong choice!;) Be a lawyer or dentist!
Just kidding.
Try Naples Air Center or Flight Safety Academy...

Bealzebub
27th Sep 2009, 10:41
States issue licences in accordance with the recommended practices of annex 1 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation. There is no such thing as an ICAO licence. Almost every country on Earth is a member of the ICAO, in much the same way as they are nearly all members of the United Nations.
The JAA licence conforms to the ICAO recommended practices for licensing, as does the FAA licence, The Australian licence, The Japanese licence,The Brazilian Licence, Canadian Licence, South African Licence , and hundreds more besides. In fact it is almost impossible to find an issuing authority where the state or collection of states is /are not a member of the ICAO.

It seems to be a term used by people who are reluctant to mention the name of their own state of issue, and with the implied suggestion that being an "ICAO licence" means it has any more validity than virtually any other licence?

This is what the ICAO have to say on the point:
ICAO licence or international licence

ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

BA10
28th Sep 2009, 18:42
WOW you guys are honestly such a big help. Firstly if i dont want to go to the states because they will issue a licence which wont enable me to fly in europe. So hit me up if you know of any schools in the UK. Im running on a tight budget of up to £60,000. Flying is my dream i dont care how bad the economy is-if i dont try i will never get to the end, so i might as well try my hardest. Thanks once again everyone.

:ok:

BA10

congoman
29th Sep 2009, 06:20
Rather go to South Africa. Lots of good schools there. The training is excellent and your money will go a lot further. Sure you'll have to convert it to a JAA license if you need to, but it will still be cheaper than anywhere in the UK or Europe.

ironbutt57
29th Sep 2009, 07:03
Read the previous posts carefully several schools in the US offfer the courses for the licence that indeed allows you to fly in Europe..

SilveR5
29th Sep 2009, 12:58
Im running on a tight budget of up to £60,000

Is this a tight budget? It's more than enough to do your integrated training course at either Stapleford Flying Centre or Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training. May be they are not the best in UK, but both are renowned for their quality service and standards.

Panama Jack
29th Sep 2009, 15:54
If you are European, your underlaying concern probably is to have a licence that you can use in Europe. In that case, I would recommend learning to fly in a European country that falls under the JAA/EASA. Alternatively, there are some schools overseas where you can also conduct this training-- I know of some in the United States and Canada. The benefit there is less congested airspace and often more economical flight training.

The Heff
27th Aug 2010, 18:02
To turn the question on its head, how does one convert a JAR-FCL PPL(A) into a UAE GCAA PPL?

I've scoured the GCAA website without much success, as it doesn't appear to be a common question. Although, then again is it really necessary? I've merely assumed that because the United Arab Emirates aren't a JAA country, that I wouldn't be able to hire UAE-registered aeroplanes on the back of a JAR-FCL PPL.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction? :confused:

Red max
27th Aug 2010, 23:52
Regarding converting JAA license to ICAO , I think you only have to do an airlaw test for the country you are going to fly in.

to the thread starter if you are planning to work in Europe get a JAA license , even if you don't want work there If you have EU citizenship you will have more options with a JAA license.

Converting an ICAO license to JAA is a pain , you have to do all the subjects , dual IR flights between 5 to 15 hours then a Flight Test.

By the way living costs are not cheap in Dubai. my 2 cents.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
28th Aug 2010, 05:10
I have just gone through the process. You will need to do the air law exam and then training as required to pass the skills test for the license issue. You will need to hold a residence visa for the UAE to do the test and get the license issued. You will also need to get a GCAA medical.

SIUYA
28th Aug 2010, 06:13
States issue licences in accordance with the recommended practices of annex 1 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

Not quite, prince of demons...

Annex 1 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation contains the Standards and Recommended Practices adopted by the International Civil Aviation Organization as the minimum standards for personnel licensing.

Therefore what you should have said was:

Contracting States should issue licences in accordance with the standards and recommended practices of Annex 1 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

:8

Pitch Up Authority
28th Aug 2010, 09:25
The Chicago convention requires ICAO member states to recognize each other licenses in order to permit international travel. This does not mean that they have to convert a license issued by another state into one of their own. It only means that they have to allow a UAE registered aeroplane flown by a UAE licensed crew into their airspace.

Whether the UAE meets the ICAO standards is subject to ICAO audits of the UAE DGCA. Based on these audits any ICAO member state may then refuse the UAE lisence. This then becomes a political issue of which we all know that money and economical power dictate reality. If you buy Boeing and Airbus nobody is going to say anything.

The UAE license is a good license but there have been serious shortcomings in the past that have been sorted out in the mean time.

The problems were caused by expats and not by locals.

Captain Bug Smasher
28th Aug 2010, 19:30
BA10 check your private messages

SIUYA
28th Aug 2010, 23:48
Pitch Up Authority...

It only means that they have to allow a UAE registered aeroplane flown by a UAE licensed crew into their airspace.

Not necessarily..............UAE-registered aircraft can also be flown by pilots who don't hold UAE licences, but who have appropriate licences that have been rendered valid by the UAE.

The UAE license is a good license but there have been serious shortcomings in the past that have been sorted out in the mean time.

The problems were caused by expats and not by locals.

REALLY? Why is it [again] the fault of expats? :confused:

The UAE is responsible for the licences it issues or renders valid (pursuant to the standards and recommended practices of Annex 1), so if there's been problems in the past, then they were all of the UAE's making.

BA10
29th Aug 2010, 09:16
Hey Guys thanks you all for your much needed help. After a long hard think i have decided im more intrested in flight schools in the US. However i wont be going for another 5 years as im starting my 5 year degree in Avionic Engineering at York University. :)