PDA

View Full Version : Airbus 320 single hyd failure green or yellow

precisionapr
24th Sep 2009, 10:28
i would like to get some feeling as to what you ladies and gents would do if faced with this problem, say taking off from a major euroland airport and having a flight time of 6 hrs heading to the mid east, and the failure happens within the first 30 mins of flight. would you be inclined to go back as you dont know where the fluid has gone, say the wheel well (maybe a fire hazard) or would you carry on as it is only a single failure and no land asap msg on ecam.

cheers

BAROREF
25th Sep 2009, 10:29
Depends in the conditions!
as you said is a single failure but have a go and consult your engineers! make a call via stockholm and tell them the problem think if you go at your destination if there is anyone to fix your problem and at the end is a call from the captain if she/he continues or not!
i once read in a FAST magazine of airbus that a single hydraulic failure is not a reason for in flight tun back but depends always on company SOPs.

leewan
25th Sep 2009, 11:27
I would not consider a hyd failure on one system in an airbus 320 as an emergency as the PTU and the other hyd systems would act as the backup for the failed hyd system. But, based on your scenario of the flight time, it's best you refer to the SOPs of your airline and radio to your maintrol and consult regarding the situation.

I gave that advice not because of any doubt of the aircraft's security and well-being but of your career's.:) Also, an aircraft's hydraulic fluid is non-flammable and Airbus wheel monitoring system would have an advisory of T/O delay if the wheels are too hot, so no worries there.

There was a thread regarding this some time back.
http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/386890-hydraulic-failure.html