PDA

View Full Version : Swinburne - Diploma of Aviation

Tiger01
24th Sep 2009, 04:44
Just after any experiences that people have had with this particular course. It is appealing to me as its an intergrated course, offers fee - help for both theory and practical components and the choice of either a command instrument rating or instructor rating.

Also does anybody know exactly how competitive it is to be placed in the course ? I have put my application in through VTAC and i will have to go for an interview in late november.

Many Thanks,

newagebird
25th Sep 2009, 09:17
best piece of advice to u is..if you get in, work your ass off to get ahead of the game. Those who tend to slack off get left behind quite easily as the course is integrated and has a time line for completion of certain parts of your flight training so that the theory can complement the practical stuff.
Therefore if you get selected, come well prepared for your flights. Around about 20 are taken for the diploma.

newagebird

Skybus_319
25th Sep 2009, 13:31
I heard that last year they have something 160 apply (could be a little off), but it was around three times as usual and they had to hold multiple interviewing days..), which is a direct result of "FEE-HELP" being mentioned among the course. I dont think it has even been introduced yet (maybe thats just the TAFE course), couldn't be far off now.

But a Extremely competitive course to get into. more-so since last year. Some students fresh out of Year 12 think that if they dont get into this course, then they are stuffed. In most cases you will be better off...thanks to your local trustworthy flying-school of course. Same stuff, cheaper price tag:ok:. Not as much stress at the start and you will get your 150hrs before you know it. Where as that course is a few years long, and you can get most of the equivalent in a year if you study/fly full-time. But each to their own:)

tmpffisch
25th Sep 2009, 13:47
You can get a CPL/MECIR in one year compared to the few it takes through a uni, and much cheaper. Either way, whether you pay the $ now, or pay it back in a few years time, you still have to pay it.

That said, there is much better theory involved through a uni compared to just doing the CPL/ATPL subjects, but where is a Diploma/Degree in Aviation going to get you when your medical is revoked?

Tiger01
26th Sep 2009, 05:32
Thanks for all the replies :ok:

Tmpffisch, I'd be quite happy to do the CPL through the local Aeroclub however its just the finances that are restricting that at the momment. However its sounds as though it may be end up being the better option to scrounge and get the cash together and do it that way, should the Swinburne course not eventuate.