PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer Vangelis film

stbd beam
23rd Sep 2009, 19:31
... not because of watching Vulcans display, not because of the cameraderie, not because of the flying, not because of the money ....

The real reason I joined up:

YouTube - RAF Buccaneer - NATO Opengate - Low Level Anti-Ship (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RAF+Buccaneer+-+NATO+Opengate+-+Low+Level+Anti-Ship+&search_type=&aq=f)

Thank God - been looking for this for years!!!

SirToppamHat
23rd Sep 2009, 21:59
It's amazing how often this comes round.

The music (in anticipation of the Q being asked) is 'To the Unknown Man' by Vangelis. Available on a number of his albums including here:

The Best of Vangelis (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Vangelis/dp/B000067CII/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253743034&sr=8-6)

Other music suppliers are available!

STH

621andy
23rd Sep 2009, 22:02
So had I:ok:

I found it about 2 weeks ago after years of searching...thought it was just me:}

I can still remember watching it in our ATC drill hall 25+ years ago...great stuff!

It was the music that did it for me too...although I never did join up:hmm:

Seeing life on a training camp whilst a cadet on a gliding school put me off!

Speed Twelve
23rd Sep 2009, 22:27
The music at the start with the head-on shots of bananas taking off is also by Vangelis, the track is 'Spiral'.

I, too, remember being shown the film as a young spacie while at AEF & gliding school, and thought it was the mutt's nuts.

In a similar vein, the 9 Sqn Tonka video from the 80s is worth a look. I still work with 'The Boss', he hasn't changed much!

LOTA
23rd Sep 2009, 22:33
I used this film a lot when I was 'sentenced' to a spell as a schools liaison officer in the 1980s. Went down best at grammar schools (I think they liked the 'progressive' music, man!). The Watchdog film with a bit of fighting and explosions etc was a better choice for the inner-city comprehensives.

At one grammar school that was a regular, used to put the film on, dim the lights and nip out to chat up a very, very attractive careers teacher. Still sees her on a regular basis (morning, noon and night!) these days as she became Mrs LOTA. Therefore, I like this film a lot! (She told me to say that!)

oldpinger
24th Sep 2009, 01:00
Is there a downloadable version of this anywhere???

VideoAnimal
24th Sep 2009, 03:34
The Album the music came from was Spiral. I think the film was called 12 Sqn Bucanneers and if any one knows where i can get it from let me know. It was a film that i still remember even after nearly 30 years and would love to see it again. May be the Public Film Library should release it on DVD or Download.

ORAC
24th Sep 2009, 06:49

YouTube Downloader (http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/)

Jabba_TG12
24th Sep 2009, 07:44
Excellent footage.

I remember being on the bridge of the Glasgow in 87 on a JMC when she was bounced by a 4 ship of Buccs.

Didnt have to look up at them, they were at eye level, heading straight towards us.

The SHARS that followed about 2 minutes later we had to look up at, about 45 degrees up, but not the Buccs.

Great memories, great aircraft. Are there still any airworthy on the display circuit?

I suppose the GR4 did eventually deliver the sort of "next generation" Bucc type capability, didnt it? Will the F35 finally be everything the Bucc was and more?

Thoughts?

Wrathmonk
24th Sep 2009, 07:55

The original poster of the You Tube video (bryUK) has also ...

now uploaded the original, full half-hour film for download on request.

(click on 'more info' in the upper right hand side of the You Tube page).

A regular PPRuNe contributor appears to have a starring role in the film ....;)

snapper41
24th Sep 2009, 09:14
Jabba;

There are 3 airworthy, but in Cape Town (google 'thunder city'). For a fee, you can take a trip in one (or Lightning, or Hunter)! In the UK, you can see Buccs doing 'fast taxi' at Bruntingthorpe - you never know, one might do a 'Victor':E

jindabyne
24th Sep 2009, 10:59
Wrath,

Is that so ??

Seymour Belvoir
24th Sep 2009, 11:10
A thread on this forum titled 'old film' dated 10 Feb 09 gives all the details of where you can buy a copy of a Bucc DVD with the Gibex film attached.

I bought a copy and it takes me right back to my spacie days!

lauriebe
24th Sep 2009, 11:14
My last tour in the service, 1985 - 88, was as a recruiter. Would not mind a quid for each time I showed this film to ATC/GVC Sqns, schools, et al! In the beginning, the music used to drive me 'bananas, bananas'!! After a couple of years, I was brainwashed and quite liked it. Even bought the CD which I still have and play occasionally.

Yes, it was a good film and it would be good to see it again. The 9 Sqn Tonka film was another that always went down well.

sisemen
24th Sep 2009, 12:57
I well remember the absolute glee when this film was released for recruiting in the late 70s. Up until then we had to put up with a fairly boring repertoire of Red Arrows and the like. As far as I remember this was the first film that really showed the RAF as we hoped it was like.

Trudging round the schools and colleges of east London and Essex actually became worthwhile.

And then I was posted to Honington in early 1980 and came face to face with all the characters. The one who really sticks in the mind is the 4 feet of attitude which was Jock Frizzell. Rumour had it that he made the choice of Vangelis for the music.

Brilliant days in an Air Force which, perhaps, was in its glory post-war years and with an aircraft which was the duck's nuts. :ok:

As an aside - if the RN had accepted the fact that the Buccs were getting through their air defence screen in those days then perhaps there might have been a couple of ships and more than a few brave souls still alive today post Falklands.

Navaleye
24th Sep 2009, 13:11
Excellent vid. Good to see the old Kent again. Let me see... 540kts...100ft...Seaslug Mk1. Nope.:eek::}

Romeo Oscar Golf
24th Sep 2009, 14:09
As an aside - if the RN had accepted the fact that the Buccs were getting through their air defence screen in those days then perhaps there might have been a couple of ships and more than a few brave souls still alive today post Falklands.Seconded....again:ok:

BEagle
24th Sep 2009, 14:56
Let me see... 540kts...100ft...

Sea Harrier F/A 2 + AMRAAM? Oooh yes, no problemo..... But sadly and unforgiveably no more...:ugh:

Gainesy
24th Sep 2009, 15:26
Nice to see the dual purpose radars that do sonar beeps. Novel that.:)

Snow Dog
24th Sep 2009, 18:14
Excellent to see after a particularly sh*tty day banging head against brick wall of modern military bureaucracy. I didn't realise the Bucc was mounted from starboard, how continental!
Nice to see the dear old Nimrod, back in the days when we used to find contacts, fix their position, track them, then target them and... oh, hang on!

alwayslookingup
24th Sep 2009, 18:16
Sorry to be a party pooper. The images are great, if a little dated, but the music's awful (IMHO), dreary and turgid. Far better if they'd used Vangelis's 'Chariots of Fire' theme. Alternatively, plenty of Pink Floyd tracks available at that time would have done the trick. See if this link works.

YouTube - Sailor series -Aircraft from HMS Ark Royal at Vieques weapons range (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mN_jsBxVt0)

If not search "Aircraft from HMS Ark Royal at Vieques weapons range" to see how good it can be with Buccs and Phantoms set to music.

Just my opinion, preparing to be flamed.

Edited: link seems to work fine. Enjoy. Oh, forgot to mention Gannet & Wessex in above comments, sorry to any ex drivers of those venerable machines reading.

ThreadBaron
24th Sep 2009, 18:44
Gainesy

Nice to see the dual purpose radars that do sonar beeps. Novel that

Maybe they had overestimated just how low the Black Banana could go and were checking all levels.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
24th Sep 2009, 19:39
Fantastic!

Duncs:ok::ok:

The Nimrod that is:O

MAINJAFAD
24th Sep 2009, 20:33
The full 12 Sqn Bucanneers film is one of the four films on this video on sale at Amazon (as is the 9 Sqn Tornado one).Link at Amazon.co.uk: Great War Planes Of The RAF [VHS]: Explore similar items (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-War-Planes-RAF-VHS/sim/B00004CLTL/2)

chiglet
24th Sep 2009, 23:21
The music was also used on a BBC Snooker Prog..... Was it "Pot Black"? or the World Championships"? :confused:

MAINJAFAD
25th Sep 2009, 07:30
World Championships.

foldingwings
25th Sep 2009, 13:41
alwayslookingup,

How astute you are:

Far better if they'd used Vangelis's 'Chariots of Fire' theme

The 2 films were directed by the same man - Hugh Hudson! However, I cannot agree with you, the music from the Spiral album is now a part of Buccaneer folklore! Brilliant.

Foldie

StbdD
25th Sep 2009, 14:22
Is it just my speakers or does Banana Lead sound like he is sucking helium instead of 02?

jindabyne
25th Sep 2009, 14:22
sisemen,

The one who really sticks in the mind is the 4 feet of attitude which was Jock Frizzell. Rumour had it that he made the choice of Vangelis for the music.

Correct - the choice was indeed concocted by wee Jock (he of hair-perm fame) and the assistant producer, and vetted by the cast!

alwayslookingup,

Not flaming you, but I agree with foldy and, as the Buccaneer Songbook author, he knows about such things. Dang-a-dang-a-dang (along with bananas-bananas) is entrenched in Buccaneer history, often nasally recited during tales of 12 Sqn daring-deeds at gatherings various.

The images are great, if a little dated

A somewhat strange comment? The film was made some 30 years ago! Maybe we should make it again and update things - but then updating me would be very time-consuming, expensive and painful.

Auntie Mary had a ---- STOP IT.

foldingwings
25th Sep 2009, 14:48
StbdD

We were on something a lot stronger than helium in those days! You had to be to get through a night low level 3-ship close formation sortie at 300' over an inky black North Sea looking :sad: for the bloody Navy!

Ahhar! Them were the days!

Foldie

Gainesy
25th Sep 2009, 14:55
Did any of the vids of Buccs knocking down washing lines in Beirut ever surface? Ditto Red Flags?

alwayslookingup
25th Sep 2009, 16:16
Okay guys, hands up, I'm more than happy to let you have this one. But I still prefer the Ark footage.

Does no one else like it 'cos it is the dark blue Buccs & Phantoms (and I know they became light blue property after the Ark)? Head above parapet but NOW preparing to be flamed alive!.

foldingwings
25th Sep 2009, 18:27
alwayslookingup

OK, your vid is quite good and Pink Floyd does work but the problem with it is the lack of air-to-air close up in comparison with the 12 Sqn Buccaneers movie by Hugh Hudson.

But look, take it from me as an ex-Bucc man, it doesn't matter whether the Bucc is dark blue, light blue, desert pink or South African blue and grey. It's a Bucc and as far as Bucc guys (and the rest of the Bucc fans out there) are concerned that's all that matters!

Foldie:ok:

johnfairr
25th Sep 2009, 18:56
Foldie, not much to say after that, other than you're absolutely spot on! :ok:

execExpress
25th Sep 2009, 20:13
For a non-mil, In the Vangelis vid, what does the phraseology Bananas Bananas mean please?

jindabyne
25th Sep 2009, 21:14
Go on then foldie, you're the quewhy. But there were also the tacticians ----

foldingwings
25th Sep 2009, 21:53
execExpress,

It's just a recognisable codeword that was used in the ASuW role to denote a specific range from a specific target in a specific tactical attack that identified that target to each navigator in the attacking formation on their radars.

Foldie

PS. Black Omega inbound!:=

jindabyne
25th Sep 2009, 22:06
--- and the pilots, them that had a clue, that is

execExpress
26th Sep 2009, 07:46
Thanks Foldie.

P.S. Red Top outbound. :confused:

i.dingbat
26th Sep 2009, 09:04
1978 was the year I went to Edinburgh Uni, and applied for the University Air Squadron. Would have loved to have flown Buccaneers, Phantoms or LIghtnings (have a vivid memory of combined 23sqdn & 43 sqdn flypast at Leuchars in early 70s).

However, my eyesight let me down. Interesting to see one of the crew with glasses.

Thanks for the reminder!

jindabyne
26th Sep 2009, 09:48
A little aside for you. dingbat ---

The lead navigator in the film had lost one of his eyes as a result of a car accident when he was a QFI at RAF Cranwell - lost his pilot category, and became a nav. Sometimes the sightless eye would leak a little, and he would wear an eyepatch (not the nuclear issue!) to contain the offending fluid. During the filming of the scenes in Gibraltar, including the one where he and his pilot were de-briefing the groundcrew (the excellent Sqn WO, Mr Milner) over the engine fire incident, the eyepatch was worn - much to the delight of the director, Hugh Hudson. The film was duly completed, and all and sundry attended the pre-release viewing at MoD; whereupon DPR (RAF)'s civilian recruitment advisors blew an almighty fuse, claiming that the navigator's appearance would be detrimental to their cause. Plonkers!!

And so all repaired to an outbuilding on Honington airfield, where the crew were doused from a watering can to create the necessary sweat-effect, and the sequences were re-shot. Still, it got everyone (excluding the plonkers) another boozy nosh in Soho, courtesy of the producer. Happiness!

johnfairr
26th Sep 2009, 10:27
I was an abo nav stude at Finningley when P*** L******* came through on our course. A nicer chap you couldn't have met, and not a bad Nav either. I had a lot of sympathy for him due to the fact that my father had lost an eye in North Africa flying Spits with 72 Sqn. He had the same problem with weepy eye. I didn't get to introduce them to each other at the Graduation, would have made an interesting sight!

P*** had an interesting OCU, early on telling the staff that his abo pilot would not make it through the course. Told to wind his neck in. Two trips from the end of the course, pilot gets chopped. Ho hum. :hmm: I think those were the days when 237 was not the place it became in later years.

jindabyne
26th Sep 2009, 10:59
johnfairr,

Careful, you'll set BEAgle off ---

Double Zero
26th Sep 2009, 11:01
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but the very atmospheric sci-fi film ' Blade Runner ' used Vangelis' music; also featured VTOL cars !

If purchasing a copy whatever you do avoid the ' Directors' Cut,' the original has the Raymond Chandler / Robert Mitchum-esque narrative.

The music could not be more appropriate.

alwayslookingup
26th Sep 2009, 11:18
Foldie, yep, respect.

BEagle
26th Sep 2009, 11:43
Not any more, jindabyne - 'twould be superfluous.

Anyway, an excellent film it was indeed. Was it all really more than 30 years ago....:eek:

And respect to the likes of you and foldie!

foldingwings
27th Sep 2009, 08:13
In my capacity as a committee member of the Buccaneer Aircrew Association (BAA), I have in my possession about 25 copies (from an original stock of 600) of a double DVD Box Set of Buccaneer movies, which includes the above mentioned film in its entirety. These DVDs were professionally produced last year as a private project to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the First Flight of the Buccaneer on 30 April 1958 and come with professionally prepared artwork in a double DVD case. I have been given approval by the BAA committee to make these available on a ‘first-come first-served basis’ to anybody on this forum who would like one as long as they are prepared to cover P&P/admin costs plus a small donation that the BAA Treasurer will forward to Help for Heroes:D.

DVD 1 consists of amateur movie clips compiled from converted Super 8mm film taken from the cockpit onboard HMS Hermes and HMS Ark Royal, and on Exercise RED FLAG/MAPLE FLAG by Buccaneer aircrew. There is also footage shot by the aircrew of 24 (SAAF) Squadron members as well as Buccaneer Strike Sight and Pavespike camera footage from Op GRANBY.

DVD 2 consists of 5 documentaries/films about the Buccaneer and the crews who flew it.

If you are interested in possessing one of these box sets then please PM me and I will provide all the necessary details to allow you to secure this limited edition souvenir of the Last (and Best) British Bomber:}.

On the assumption that you eventually pay the required costs of P&P etc, I will adopt a strict queuing system by receipt of your PM to ensure fair play for all.

Foldie

Al R
27th Sep 2009, 09:16
Did any of the vids of Buccs knocking down washing lines in Beirut ever surface?

I have often wondered if the Pulsator video I watched in Ops at Akrotiri was a figment of my imagination. Ditto the 'Oops. Isn't this a One Way Street?' ic banter. I subsequently had some good chats with Mike Heath (very sadly deceased) about that det.

texet
27th Sep 2009, 14:15

Double Zero
27th Sep 2009, 14:17
Any mention of the green camera carrying Buccaneers at West Freugh ?

As an aerial photographer myself I can say the photo' dept' there was excellent, but they got caught out one day when taking shots of one of the Buccaneers from the Andover...

All the upper surfaces ( remember it was a tall, brute of an aircraft ) were covered in white spots, courtesy of the hangar Jackdaws...

The Staish' was not at all impressed !

jindabyne
27th Sep 2009, 14:32
I have been given approval by the BAA committee to make these available on a ‘first-come first-served basis’ to anybody on this forum who would like one as long as they are prepared to cover P&P/admin costs plus a small donation that the BAA Treasurer will forward to Help for Heroes.

Go on, give it a go texet, good cause and all that -----

foldingwings
27th Sep 2009, 16:16
Folks,

Re: My post at #48.

Some people have been asking me if the available DVDs are only for Bucc Mates. The aircrew Bucc Mates have all got a copy already if they are members of the BAA, so this is open season for anybody who would like one of the remaining sets:ok:.

All those who have bid already are on the list and will be contacted once I get to a position where I know exactly how many have been asked for or number ordered matches those available.

There are plenty left at present so if you would like one bid now!

Foldie (aka Father Christmas)

foldingwings
27th Sep 2009, 19:28
DamianF

I remember Foldie kept calling it out on 17 - confusing the hell out of us all !

That's unfair:{, you'll have to show yourself now!!!!!

Foldie

jindabyne
27th Sep 2009, 20:06
Damian

Disport Closed if I were you! Beware canny Scottish navigators ----

biscuit74
27th Sep 2009, 21:52
Terrific to see that. Unless I'm very much mistaken, one of the pilots in that clip is my old flatmate from Aberdeen University days, Andy Young.

Anyone know where he is now?

AnglianAV8R
27th Sep 2009, 22:20
Hello Foldie,
Please may I register my deep rooted desire to obtain a set of the DVDs.

I'm a long time admirer of our last true bomber, the finest heavy metal by far.

My favourite recollections of them are....
1. Late 70's: Beating up th Boulmer CRc at ultra low level, so much more impressive than the colonial cousins in their swing wing wonders.
2. Standing on a hill top near Spadeadam and watching one fly down the valley below me.
3. Flying the flag through Beirut from Akrotiri on Op Pulsator.
4. Doing the business in GW1.

I bought the 'Boys from Bahrain' and, if memory serves, donated to RAFA/Legion ore evn both?

Name your price.
Kindest regards from a civvie pilot who has the utmost respect for a fine machine flown by the best low level operators in Christendom :ok:

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 06:34
biscuit74,

Anyone know where he is now?

Yes. PM me with your e-mail address and I will get him to contact you.

Foldie

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 06:37
Folks,

It's 0734A and there are only 6 left! However, keep bidding as any eventual payment defaulters:rolleyes: will open the reserve list.

Foldie:cool:

Lower Hangar
28th Sep 2009, 07:29
When will you e-mail those successful in their application ??

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 11:51
Lower Hangar,

See my Post 53 but relax - you were first to bid:D!

Foldie

Double Zero
28th Sep 2009, 12:24
So, internal weapon carriage - apart from the last versions carrying 4 Sea Eagles; ( more likely 1 0r 2 + fuel ) ring any bells re. F-35 etc, far more effecitive than Tornado & likely to give a Super Etendard a run for its' money ?

Probably the best thing Wart On came up with, though the cockpits were described as ' steam driven slums '.

Doctor Cruces
28th Sep 2009, 12:30
Shoulda put Tonka avionics in new build Buccs.
World beater or what?

Doc C

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 13:47
Buc'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, internal weapon carriage - apart from the last versions carrying 4 Sea Eagles; ( more likely 1 0r 2 + fuel ) ring any bells re. F-35 etc, far more effecitive than Tornado & likely to give a Super Etendard a run for its' money ?

Probably the best thing Wart On came up with, though the cockpits were described as ' steam driven slums '.

Actually, nowt to do with Warton! Designed and built by Blackburns at Brough and test flown from Holme on Spalding Moor (having been dragged there through the back roads of East Yorkshire).

Cockpits were described as ergonomic slums in the 13 years and 2500hrs I was flying 'em! The offset seating arrangement was a brilliant move to give a good view forward for the GIB and assist with crew cooperation (you could actually hit the pilot on the back of his helmet with a ruler if he didn't do as he was told!).

Ahar - great days!

Foldie

biscuit74
28th Sep 2009, 14:01
Foldingwings - did my e-mail about the DVD get to you yesterday?

Cheers.

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 14:22
b74

Yup! See PM.

Foldie

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 16:04
Folks,

Assuming that I receive the appropriate donations from everybody who has bid for one of the Buccaneer 50th Anniversary DVD Box Sets I regret to inform you that all 29 have now been bid for. However, if you wish to be placed on a reserve list, that could be created by donation defaulters:rolleyes:, then please PM me and I will advise you if or when you win by default.

For those who have successfully bid:ok: then standby for further information tomorrow.

Foldie

foldingwings
28th Sep 2009, 16:44
Whilst I am on a roll, if anybody is interested in a copy of The Buccaneer Songbook that was published last year also for the 50th Anniversary of the First Flight of the Buccaneer then please PM me. Same rules apply as Post 48.

Details and full description here:

The Buccaneer Songbook: An Anthology of Drinking Songs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buccaneer-Songbook-Anthology-Drinking-Songs/dp/B0016988E4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254154297&sr=8-1)

Foldie

jindabyne
28th Sep 2009, 17:35
C'mon BEags,

A Buccaneer DVD andthe much acclaimed songbook! Good barbie entertainment for next year, and a video for those winter dinner parties. Get along, foldie's saving one of each for you. And fifty quid to Help for Heros would be just the job!

Navaleye
28th Sep 2009, 23:53
I'm led to believe that the standard stowage for the internal bay was 4 X 1,000lb HEMC. Pretty much at all times.

foldingwings
29th Sep 2009, 07:44
I'm led to believe that the standard stowage for the internal bay was 4 X 1,000lb HEMC. Pretty much at all times.

Not strictly true! 2xWE177s was a standard fit but I much preferred 2 aircrew holdalls and a sunny destination outbound and 2 aircrew holdalls plus 19 demijohns of Kokinelli inbound:D. Because the bomb door rotated open rather than clamshells, the demijohns were placed upside down on the open door and their stoppers sealed with bodge tape. That way, if a stopper did pop at 36,000ft, the demijohns were upright and you didn't lose the contents of your demijohn as long as you checked them by entering the bomb bay by its inspection panel (well, before they fitted the bomb bay door tank that is) before rotating it on arrival back at base.

Crates of oranges and lemons from Akrotiri and dozens of boxes of wet fish and King Prawns from Lossie, Kinloss or Macrihanish were routinely shipped to the squadrons in Germany.

Foldie

Hockham Admiral
29th Sep 2009, 08:13
FW, Hi

That way, if a stopper did pop at 36,000ft, the demijohns were upright and you didn't lose the contents of your demijohn

36000 ft in a Bucc???:}

Madbob
29th Sep 2009, 08:41
Foldie

Do you remember the story of the pilot posted from Laarbruch (XV Sqn?) to Lossie and decided to use a landaway at Lossie to ferry much of his kit prior to posting? Picture bomb bay loaded with stereo, record collection, cameras, mess kit, and various uniforms, so leaving said pilot to travel light to subsequent posting..........

Now picture said ac, 480 kts at LL over N. Sea when up on the radar appears a solitary Leander-class frigate just begging to be attacked! Hereafter SOP's takeover and into attack mode goes the crew which includes rotating the bomb bay whereupon miscellaneous matelots find themselves "bombed" by some rather strange looking bombs.

Much embarrassment all round and no insurance cover for the loss of "baggage" in transit!:( Must have happened in mid 1979.......

MB

sisemen
29th Sep 2009, 09:08
That happened regularly. As OC Accts at Honington at the time I had a regular stream of 12/208/237 OCU aircrew to my office asking how they could claim for lost/bombed baggage. :}

Double Zero
29th Sep 2009, 09:30
Anything from Whippet-bothering territory is ' Wart on ' in BAe terms;

Doctor Cruces, I understand the trial Tornado avionics were first tried in Buccaneers, leading more than one crew to ask " why bother with the Tornado airframe ? "

Wander00
29th Sep 2009, 10:14
Not a Bucc man, but just by accident caught the hour-long Buccaneer programme on Movies for Men (Sky ch324) - it is bound to be repeated- everything else is on that channel

foldingwings
29th Sep 2009, 10:35
36000 ft in a Bucc???:=

Max cruise alt 39,000 ft - been there, done it and got the t-shirt!:}:}:}:}

Tornado GR1 was struggling in the mid 20s - been there, done it and got the t-shirt!:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

Foldie

foldingwings
29th Sep 2009, 17:22
I have sent out 29 PMs to the lucky bidders for the Bucc DVD Box-sets. If you don't receive it please let me know ASAP.

BEagle
29th Sep 2009, 18:29
I was travelling for most of Sunday, Monday and today. Although I was able to access PPRuNe on the private yacht....OK, Maerske Delft from Dover-Dunkerque, I couldn't send anything as their web-nanny wouldn't allow it.

So, 500 km later I imagined I was too late....:{

But Foldie, if you do have a copy of the DVD available, I'd willingly cough another donation to H-for-H - I'm already a contributor, but every little helps them.

PM if poss? Purrleezy please?

foldingwings
29th Sep 2009, 18:42
BEagle,

Tooooooooo Late! But I will put you on the reserve list.

johnfairr
29th Sep 2009, 19:11
Got my PM thanks, Foldie, will send the dosh termorrer.

SirToppamHat
29th Sep 2009, 19:57
PM Received. Cheque on way.

Regards

STH

BEagle
29th Sep 2009, 20:25
Aaaarrghhh - quelle pisseur!

Thanks anyway, foldie!

clarkieboy
29th Sep 2009, 20:53
As the others, PM(s) received, cheque posted.

Cheers

Iain

jindabyne
29th Sep 2009, 20:53
foldie,

find a way

BEagle
30th Sep 2009, 09:09
Kind idea, but I don't deserve any special favours, jinda'.

I do count myself fortunate in having flown the mighty beast and even headed the student bombing ladder until I was chopped 'cos I wasn't up to the OCU's requirements....

And working with the Bucc mates in GW1 was a privilege as well.

la_place
2nd Oct 2009, 18:05
THANKYOU!

Bananas Bananas

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2009, 19:00
:)

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1400&g2_serialNumber=2

Big version if you want a background

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1398&g2_serialNumber=1

Though still comes a close second to

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1387&g2_serialNumber=2

Big version for a background

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1385&g2_serialNumber=1

can do a lot more if anyone is interested :)

Ramshornvortex
2nd Oct 2009, 20:55
Foldie,

PMs received, cheque posted, thanks:ok:

C

BBadanov
3rd Oct 2009, 03:11
Whilst I am on a roll, if anybody is interested in a copy of The Buccaneer Songbook that was published last year also for the 50th Anniversary of the First Flight of the Buccaneer then please PM me.

The DVDs, the beloved Songbook, come on Foldie, flog the ties too !! :ok:

John Eacott
3rd Oct 2009, 08:05
NutLoose,

020 in a previous life:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1786-1/Buccaneer+landing+2+wire+Ark+1973.jpg

foldingwings
3rd Oct 2009, 09:29
Unfortunately, NutLoose's 020 is a fake:{ created in 1994 at Lossie to add Navy flavour to the line-up of 208 Sqn Buccs (all RAF Sqn Numbers were represented) that were still flying when the Buccs went out of service and we held the great 'Farewell to the Bucc p**s up'!

It's actually an S2B with a bomb bay door tank (XX894).

Sorry to burst the bubble.

PS. Many thanks to all those of you who have already forwarded their very generous donations for H4H:D. Your DVDs will be with you next week once I can get them wrapped up and in the post.

david parry
3rd Oct 2009, 10:42
YouTube - Sailor series. HMS Ark Royal. Buccaneer landings and bolters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bW7tjy7AOk)

Lower Hangar
3rd Oct 2009, 11:42
Foldie

All us old Bucc fans know the Bruntingthorpe Bucc is and never has been an RN Bucc- but its still a lovely colour scheme - so thanks 208 Sq.

Incidentally I think the BDT was the best thing every done to the Bucc by the RAF - imagine an alert tanker ( say 032 ) with Internals + BDT + BBT + Slipper + IFR pod - just how much fuel would that be - would it be out of limits for cat launch ??

foldingwings
4th Oct 2009, 07:37
Internals + BDT + BBT + Slipper + IFR pod

The IFR Pod held slightly less fuel than an UWT but with Internals + BDT + BBT + 2 UWT (slippers) you would have 23,000lbs or 2300 nms at 35,000ft! Enough fuel to go a very long way and certainly across the Atlantic (Azores to Gander; done it) and even island hopping across the Pacific (inc. Hawaii to San Francisco; planned it but it was never flown).

The problem with the BDT and the cat would have been that you could not get the angle of attack required on the cat because the BDT would have been in contact with the flight deck at launch!

Lower Hangar
5th Oct 2009, 08:22
Foldie

Yes - of course it would - thanks for the image !

Madbob
5th Oct 2009, 16:50
As I'm not ex Buccs don't quote me, but 62,000 lbs was the MTOW of an S2. Launch at that weight (mass) from the Ark would depend, on other factors such as wind-over-the-deck, temperature, atmospheric pressure, and not just the energy available from the catapult.

A certain ex Groupie (sic. with a passion for flying :ok:) lives close to me and he did a tour on Buccs with the FAA so I shall enquire from the horse's mouth, unless he sees this post and does so himself.

MB

jindabyne
5th Oct 2009, 21:16
because the BDT would have been in contact with the flight deck at launch

You certain about that?

Discuss on the 4th!! Armed, of course, with Grouse (and it must be the new Black variety).

foldingwings
5th Oct 2009, 21:35
I have departed (not laterally) from Gib's 6000ft runway in a Bucc at 52K AUW at a temp of +30C. The calculated TOD with 15-10-10 Unblown was 6100ft and the TOD Blown with 30-20-20 selected was 5900ft - not a happy prospect with the Med at both ends!

To give ourselves the max TOD available we virtually backed onto the orange & black chequerboard and asked the local controller to ensure that the overshoot on the westerly heading was clear of boats before we released the brakes. Given the 'all clear' and an updated OAT of +32, with full chat selected, we released the brakes and at 5900ft exactly the Bucc lifted almost vertically to about 10 ft and stayed there as we continued to accelerate and climb slowly before forcing a left hander to avoid Spanish Airspace (them were the days).

Oh sh*t! Said my man up front (sounded like eject at first but my experience told me that it wasn't) as he saw the boats in the overshoot - yahoo, cried I as I looked over my left shoulder in the turn and saw the Spanish fishermen swimming away from their upturned dinghy!

So, why do I tell you this tale, just to prove that the Bucc could do many things at high AUWs but I have to say that the prospect of going off a cat at more than 62K with 19K of fuel and an internal weapons load was an adventure that I am grateful I never had to endure.

A certain ex Groupie (sic. with a passion for flying )

That individual relates an excellent tale in his book of the night take-off that he and I didn't do at Honington in the early 70s when we (through no fault of our own - no nose light on the Bucc in those days, an inky-poo nite and the fire section had left large tripods under the approach cable to ease their task of running the gromits in and out) inadvertantly took the approach cable with our nose wheel and ended up at full power in the largest rearwards pointing catapult in the world!

'Em really were the days!

foldingwings
5th Oct 2009, 21:39
Jinda,

I am reliably informed that that was the case and the reason why the Navy jets were never considered for retrofit BDTs (809 was still shoving the throttles forward whilst I was flying the first BDT aircraft in Germany in 72)

with Grouse (and it must be the new Black variety).

Now listen, I know where the malt's coming from on the 4th and it ain't out of my wallet not at that bloody price!

Madbob
6th Oct 2009, 14:19
Buccaneer S.Mk.2B - Maximum AUW: 59,000lb (w.e.f: January 1973)

Note: The Maximum All Up Weight was revised upwards from 54,000lb to 59,000lb following the introduction of Mod.1600 (Airframe provision for fitment of Bomb Door Tank) and Mod.5300 (Bomb Door Tanks) - This new AUW is only applicable to RAF Buccaneer S.Mk.2A and S.Mk.2B's which all received Mods 1600 & 5300 during 1973. Fleet Air Arm Buccaneer S.Mk.2C and S.Mk.2D's received Mod.1600 (Airframe provision for fitment of Bomb Door Tank) and Mod.5301 (Blanking Kit for fitment of Standard Bomb Door) so retaining the Maximum AUW of 54,000lb.

#01 Buccaneer S.Mk.2BExternal Payload:
2x 'Std' Weapon Pylons
2x 'SNEB' Rocket Pods (36x 2-inch)

Internal Payload:
4x 1,000lb H.E.M.C. Ballistic Bombs

Miscellaneous:
Nonehttp://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Payload_Stores_files/Thumb_files/xw535-s2b(thumb).gif

AUW: 49,100lb (approx.)http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/trans.gif#02 Buccaneer S.Mk.2BExternal Payload:
2x 'Std' Weapon Pylons
1x 'Buddy' In-Flight Refuelling Pod
1x 'Slipper' Tank

Internal Payload:
440 Imp.Gal (2,000-litre) Overload Fuel Tank

Miscellaneous:
425 Imp.Gal. (1,932-litre) Bulged Bomb Bay Door Tankhttp://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Payload_Stores_files/Thumb_files/xv868-s2b(thumb).gif

AUW: 55,800lb (approx.)http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/trans.gif#03 Buccaneer S.Mk.2BExternal Payload:
3x 'Std' Weapon Pylons + 3x Launcher Rails
1x 'Acquisition' Data Link Pod
2x 'TV' Martel Missiles
1x 'Anti-Radar' Martel Missile

Internal Payload:
440 Imp.Gal (2,000-litre) Overload Fuel Tank

Miscellaneous:
425 Imp.Gal. (1,932-litre) Bulged Bomb Bay Door Tankhttp://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Payload_Stores_files/Thumb_files/xx895-s2b(thumb).gif

AUW: 56,400lb (approx.)http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/trans.gif#04 Buccaneer S.Mk.2BExternal Payload:
4x 'Std' Weapon Pylons + 4x Launcher Rails
4x 'Anti-Ship' Sea Eagle Missiles

Internal Payload:
4x 1,000lb H.E.M.C. Retard Bombs

Miscellaneous:
425 Imp.Gal. (1,932-litre) Bulged Bomb Bay Door Tankhttp://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Payload_Stores_files/Thumb_files/xt286-s2b(thumb).gif

AUW: 58,600lb (approx.)

Note:
The approximate maximum AUW's quoted are based on the aircraft being fuelled with AVTUR S.G. 0.79

NATO Code:Also known as:Description:F-34AVTUR/FSII or JP-8
(Specific Gravity: 0.79)is a military kerosene type aviation turbine fuel with Fuel System Icing Inhibitor (FSII), used by land-based military gas turbine engined aircraft in all NATO countries from 1986. However France and the United Kingdom converted to F-34 back in 1971 (Following a decision by NATO Defence Ministers, all nations except Turkey switched from F-40 to F-34. The conversion was completed in 1988 and known as Stage 1 of the Single Fuel Concept).F-40AVTAG/FSII or JP-4
(Specific Gravity: 0.77)is a military wide cut type aviation turbine fuel with FSII, used by land-based military gas turbine engined aircraft.F-42AVCAT or JP-5
(Specific Gravity: 0.82)is a military high flash point kerosene type aviation turbine fuel without Anti-Icing Additives used by ship borne military gas turbine engine aircraft in NATO countries prior to the introduction of F-44.F-44AVCAT/FSII or JP-5
(Specific Gravity: 0.82)is a military high flash point kerosene type aviation turbine fuel with FSII used by ship borne military gas turbine engine aircraft in most NATO countries.

Source - The Royal Air Force's: Buccaneer Navigator's Handbook
AP.4744A-AN 'Aircrew Notes' (covering Buccaneer S.Mk.1)
AP.4744B-AN 'Aircrew Notes' (covering Buccaneer S.Mk.2)
AP 101B-1202-14 'Flight Reference Cards' (covering Buccaneer S.Mk.2)
AP 101B-1202-14A 'Flight Reference Cards' (covering Buccaneer S.Mk.2A, 2B, 2C, 2D)
AP 101B-1202-15A 'Aircrew Manual' (covering Buccaneer S.Mk.2A, 2B)

foldingwings
6th Oct 2009, 16:48
Madbob,

Standby for Flack inbound! You have just told one of our most infamous :} Bucc QFIs (schpitt!) how to suck eggs!

Anyway, for a non-Bucc man (you not me) I am impressed by your research!

By the way, I will get your DVD to you by the end of the week, hopefully.

There you will be able to view him (Jinda) in a much younger disguise!

jindabyne
6th Oct 2009, 17:31
Madbob,

Well done. Tomorrow I'm off to Gib, and as I stroll across the runway, both you and foldie will be uppermost in my mind!:p. Penelope's has gone, as has the Wig 'n Gown (now a manicure parlour:E). Otherwise, it's still an evocative place - full of Cold War memories, but then that is seemingly not something to dwell upon in the eyes of younger PPRuNe members.

foldingwings
6th Oct 2009, 17:38
the Wig 'n Gown (now a manicure parlour)

Ah ferchrisesakes!

Now be a good lad and pop along to 17 Town Ranges := just for old time's sake!!!!!!!!!

Foldie:ouch:

jindabyne
6th Oct 2009, 17:58
Should I take the wife along? etc etc

Seriously, the low cost airlines do good deals, the pound (not the euro) makes it perhaps the best deal in Europe as things stand, the Eliott hotel in Governor's Parade is splendid, and there are oodles of the old bars that remain (with their marvellously unhealthy breakfasts), sitting easily with the excellent new restaurants ranged alongside their new waterfronts. Bril. And Spain is still nearby. Sadly, my attempts to have a drink in the Front Mess have been thwarted by officialdom - but one has to accept that old-fartysm prevails these days!

Mandator
6th Oct 2009, 21:39
Foldie - just caught up with your post #100. I well remember the RHAG incident. That week I was on Duty Crew and as we looked out of the windows of our remote dispersal near the end of the runway we marvelled as your mighty mount ground to a halt whilst at full chat.

During another stint on Duty Crew I remember someone who insisted on being obeyed making a night landing with, shall we say, symptoms of the parking brake being applied. You know the sort of thing - lots of smoke, the stench of burnt rubber and showers of sparks as first the locked wheels and then the brake packs were ground away by the runway friction course. That was another exciting recovery and I seem to recall a lot of time being spent before a defect in the braking system could be found.

Lower Hangar
11th Oct 2009, 11:09
Just enjoyed DVD1 - many memories - thanks.

Lower Hangar

Madbob
12th Oct 2009, 09:29
Foldie

DVDs landed safely on my door mat on Saturday.

Many thanks.

MB

clarkieboy
12th Oct 2009, 09:45
Hi Foldie,

Mine arrived on saturday too. Many thanks. Just wait til I'm off shift to put the 8 beer theory to the test!

Cheers

Iain

SirToppamHat
12th Oct 2009, 09:50
Hi Foldie

Received mine this morning; thanks very much.

Regards

STH

lauriebe
21st Oct 2009, 08:42
Foldie,

DVDs have just arrived in the afternoon post. So, 8 tigers in the fridge cooling nicely, should be ready for viewing/imbibing in a couple of hours.

Great!! Many thanks.:ok::ok:

BEagle
21st Oct 2009, 09:08
I was kindly sent the DVD set recently and made a suitable donation to charity as a result.

Very good DVDs indeed; congratulations to the Buccaneer Aircrew Association for this work.

Re. the BDT, it was stated in one of the documentaries that the jet could still be pitched to rub the tailskid on landing, even with the BDT fitted. The reason the BDT wasn't fitted to the RN's Buccs was stated as being because the tank wasn't baffled, so wouldn't take the accleration involved with a catapult launch without rupturing.

How I wish that I'd been a lot better and that 237 had had a bit more patience when I was struggling to learn to fly the beast. Interesting to hear my old RAF scholarship and ULAS mucker Nige Huck describing how demanding the jet was to fly below 300 KIAS - I'm sure anyone who'd ever flown it would concur.

"Fifteen-Ten-Ten...moving together, stop together.......:ok:"

And Jinda', didn't you look young!

DADDY-OH!
21st Oct 2009, 09:16
Now, Jinda'.... was that an engine fire... or where you really dumping fuel....?

See you in t'Bridge with Colonel Comb-Over, Old Boy!!!!
:ok:

foldingwings
21st Oct 2009, 16:16
Very good DVDs indeed; congratulations to the Buccaneer Aircrew Association for this work.

Why thank you BEagle, unbecoming as I usually am, on this occasion I will take all the credit as it was my personal project last year to produce the work and present it to all of our 500 members to celebrate the 50th Anniversary!

As I know where every one of them went, would you mind telling me how you came by a copy? A PM will do but I would just like to know if they are now being copied and on the 'black market'.

Ta

Foldie
237 OCU QWI 1981 -1983:}

BEagle
21st Oct 2009, 17:57
PM sent, foldie.

Legit copy, not a pirate.

Charity has benefitted as a result. Blond genug?

BBadanov
24th Oct 2009, 22:43
"Ta

Foldie
237 OCU QWI 1981 -1983http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif "

Foldie, am sure I saw you lurking around 16 over 1982-83. Is your memory failing? Or, oops, is it mine?? :8

Boris

johnfairr
25th Oct 2009, 09:50
Beags, that phrase struck a chord with me, "blond genug" = Fair enough in Sausageside Lingo.

I seem to recall reading about a POW in WWII who spent his time translating common or garden English phrases into German and then being totally surprised that the guards did not recognise their meaning.

Anyone help with that, or is Beags in retro-mode??

foldingwings
26th Oct 2009, 18:19
Foldie, am sure I saw you lurking around 16 over 1982-83. Is your memory failing?

Ah Borrocks! I did so many drunken and enjoyable tours (4) on the Bucc they all now must be fading into one!

Foldie:}
XV Sqn - 1972-74
12 Sqn QWI - 1974-78
237 OCU QWI - 1978-81
16 Sqn QWI/Wpns Ldr - 1981-83

and whilst we are at it:
17 Sqn - 1986-87
Staneval (W) Bruggen - 1987-90

BBadanov
27th Oct 2009, 00:37
Achtung Foldie,

So Englander (incls Scots!!), Laarbruch and Bruggen, Specken sie Deutch?? And Gott in Himmel, nein tours in Colditz? :bored:

foldingwings
27th Oct 2009, 06:05
To all those who donated,

This needs broadcasting louder than on a thread that is slipping beyond the first page of PPRuNe.

New Thread inbound.

Foldie

FinelyChopped
19th May 2022, 20:27
The Greek composer and musician Vangelis has just died, aged 79.
Be honest now, how many of you immediately think of Buccaneers when you hear To The Unknown Man? And just how good was Hugh Hudson's film of Open Gate 78 as a recruiting tool for the service?

ORAC
19th May 2022, 20:44
The sound track from Blade Runner is a classic.

NutLoose
19th May 2022, 21:08
Damn his music was / is superb

2Planks
19th May 2022, 22:19
RIP Vangelis.

But the backing track on the first link doesn't seem to be Vangelis's Spiral any longer.

Lantern10
19th May 2022, 22:29
He did some wonderful work with Jon Anderson. RIP.

BEagle
19th May 2022, 22:46
Such a shame...

I have 'To the Unknown Man' Vol.1 & Vol.2 - but on vinyl from exactly 40 years ago.

Ninthace
20th May 2022, 00:06
Be honest now, how many of you immediately think of Buccaneers when you hear To The Unknown Man? And just how good was Hugh Hudson's film of Open Gate 78 as a recruiting tool for the service?
It was useful to pass the time in the training cinema in Kermode Hall at Halton too. Never got tired of the music and it gee’d the students up for a bit more learning,

Background Noise
20th May 2022, 08:20
It was the theme music at our wings parade. Very evocative.

chinook240
20th May 2022, 15:57
Before we’d ever heard of the Falklands, there was a documentary on the news programme Nationwide featuring HMS Endurance in Antarctica. ISTR the scenes of their Wasp flying past icebergs used clips from Vangelis’ China album and was one of those moments that encouraged me to fly helos.

Cat Techie
20th May 2022, 19:35

Some one has paid the royalties so the Hugh Hudson film can be seen again in all its glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Ry4getknY

I for one saw it as an air cadet on the PR days one saw in the Squadron calendar in 1980. Virtually wanted to be working on dynamic aircraft post seeing that film as a career. Still working on aircraft 42 years later, having seen a Bucc Sqn detachment as my first ever RAF det. Lots of others would likely say the same.

The sound track from Blade Runner is a classic.

Will quite happily agree with you on that one. A lot of the tracks killed when I got the "Themes" album at Wittering in the very early 90s with the other famous scores he did.

Before we’d ever heard of the Falklands, there was a documentary on the news programme Nationwide featuring HMS Endurance in Antarctica. ISTR the scenes of their Wasp flying past icebergs used clips from Vangelis’ China album and was one of those moments that encouraged me to fly helos.

Bob Langley of Pebble Mill fame did it in very early 1980/81. The Vangelis track for the theme tune was "Chung Kou". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3md77gRW1nQ

chinook240
20th May 2022, 21:48
Some one has paid the royalties so the Hugh Hudson film can be seen again in all its glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Ry4getknY

I for one saw it as an air cadet on the PR days one saw in the Squadron calendar in 1980. Virtually wanted to be working on dynamic aircraft post seeing that film as a career. Still working on aircraft 42 years later, having seen a Bucc Sqn detachment as my first ever RAF det. Lots of others would likely say the same.

Will quite happily agree with you on that one. A lot of the tracks killed when I got the "Themes" album at Wittering in the very early 90s with the other famous scores he did.

Bob Langley of Pebble Mill fame did it in very early 1980/81. The Vangelis track for the theme tune was "Chung Kou". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3md77gRW1nQ

Cat Techie,

I’m very grateful to you for digging that link out, I haven’t seen it for 40 odd years, little did I realise that I’d sail there myself in 1982.

cynicalint
20th May 2022, 22:32
During a very similar exercise in the mid-eighties, the Nimrod crew I was flying with, providing Surpic to the Buccs of 12 Sqn thought it was a wheeze to transmit 'To an Unknown Man' after the first broadcast.

Cat Techie
20th May 2022, 23:08
During a very similar exercise in the mid-eighties, the Nimrod crew I was flying with, providing Surpic to the Buccs of 12 Sqn thought it was a wheeze to transmit 'To an Unknown Man' after the first broadcast.
Vangelis tracks got me through the ****ty Basrah 903 night shift VAHS / Eng Ops post that no SO2 had the balls to say that is bull. 63 consecutive shifts of 12 Vs 12 night working. I admit the Corporate grunts had it harder.

cynicalint
20th May 2022, 23:14
Cat Techie
Isn't it strange, that some music transports you to, or from, a time and place? It's a pity that such strictures are imposed on us sometimes.

Cat Techie
20th May 2022, 23:32
Cat Techie
Isn't it strange, that some music transports you to, or from, a time and place? It's a pity that such strictures are imposed on us sometimes.
My first tour was with Lattons Lossie. No leave with out a green card and no GDT course to get one. Girlfriend was 350 miles away. Relationship would never survive the distance. Some words from the Blade Runner film I used directly in loving embraces to the situation we were in. Just watched Blade Runner again. My wife does have a passing resemblance to Sean Young. 😁

MAINJAFAD
21st May 2022, 01:03

It was actually done by Pebble Mill at One, first shown in very early 1982.. The whole series is on Youtube in one video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEhgfwM3OE

chinook240
21st May 2022, 06:29
Its was actually done by Pebble Mill at One, first shown in very early 1982.. The whole series is on Youtube in one video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEhgfwM3OE

MAINJAFAD, excellent link, hadn’t watched the whole series, very interesting perspectives given what was about to happen and how many lives would be changed forever. Thanks.