PDA

View Full Version : Danger Close by Col. Stuart Tootal

Lou Scannon
23rd Sep 2009, 13:50
Just read Stuart Tootal's book "Danger Close". You may remember that he commanded 3 Para on their first visit to Afghanistan.

A really good read. I found myself muttering "Bloody Hell!" (or similar words) at least once every page.

I know that it is an army view of the conflict, but his kind words for both the RAF helicopter crews and the American helicopter and ground attack crews provoke some interesting thoughts. He is less enthusiastic regarding certain other air operations.

As to the medical treatment of the injured in a certain Birmingham hospital...I can only hope that things have improved in recent months.

Let us hope that some of the vast "tail" of non-combatants in the MOD manage to pick up a copy on the way to their next battle on the golf course.

Jabba_TG12
23rd Sep 2009, 13:56
Seconded.

Very well written book, one of the very few I have read where there really does appear to be genuine professional respect flowing both ways between Commander and Commanded.

If only we had more officers like him still in light blue (were there ever any? :E )...

Melchett01
23rd Sep 2009, 15:09
I was at Bastion during Lt Col Tootal's tenure, and from a light blue perspective, he really did get air. Not only was he quick to stamp on the 'utterly utterly useless' comments, but he really did agonise on a number of occasions before requesting that air go in to places like Sangin and MSQ to pull his guys out.

If only there were more like him, air-land integration would be much easier.

NYF
23rd Sep 2009, 16:15
I couldn't agree more re Danger Close. I can also strongly recommend Attack State Red by Colonel Richard Kemp and Chris Hughes. It's a genuinely exceptional account of the Royal Anglians tour that followed. The best military book I've read for a while.

Zoom
23rd Sep 2009, 16:21
a certain Birmingham hospital...I can only hope that things have improved in recent months

You can find out at 9pm tonight on BBC1:

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Wounded, Part 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/d/int/tv/bbcone/5/-/programmes/b00mzs74)

Whenurhappy
23rd Sep 2009, 16:27
It is a good read, albeit naturally Land-centric. However, Lou, you would be surprised by the high percentage of those serving in the MOD, uniformed and civilian, who have now served in Afghanistan or Iraq - or both.

gijoe
23rd Sep 2009, 22:04
Humbling...totally humbling.

G

Zoom
23rd Sep 2009, 22:18
Agreed...... assuming we're talking about the same thing. Really gives one a sense of perspective. Good luck to them both.

gijoe
23rd Sep 2009, 22:21
Yup..we're talking about the same thing.

How lucky I am.

G