PDA

View Full Version : Combined JAA & CASA CPL Training & Test?

Okavango
23rd Sep 2009, 11:32
Hi. I guess it's unlikely, though is it possible to combine training and assessment for these? I've contacted WAAC but not had a response as yet - I know they plan to offer JAA CPL training. The CASA and JAA training and assessment seems almost identical so would it not be possible in theory to combine the training and test at an FTO that offers both, to achieve both licenses at the same time?

scottiel8
24th Sep 2009, 06:40
you can do both at WAAC but not at the same time as the requirements for each are a gulf apart!

if you intend to return to UK or Europe, dont bother with CASA CPL as its useless. If you hope to eventually settle in australia, dont bother with JAA as it is useless. Although all these schools and authorities boast about being part of ICAO and having similar agreements, there are only 2 licences that are recognised in a different country: CASA in NZ and FAA in Canada and even then you have to do conversion exams.

Im from liverpool (just down the road) And hold CASA and FAA. Currently living in australia but unless i get 2000hours or settle for chasing cows out west, no work here!!!

Stick to JAA. At least on completion, if you have a spare 17000 quid you can go self sponsered for Jet2. (757)

happy flying:ok:

Okavango
24th Sep 2009, 20:20
Thanks Scott. I was under the impression if you had JAA, it was just a case of the air law exam and a flight test (still ~£800). Is there a lot more training required then? Don't think anything will be happening with Jet2 for at least 2 years.

scottiel8
25th Sep 2009, 12:47
the last thread is correct. alot of far eastern companies will complete differences training if you are a far eastern sponserd student! or a resident of said states! if like me, you are british or from any other country, not having legal rights to live or work there, these countries and companies wont look at you.

now, if you manage to get through the training,(CASA) get a type rating, get at least 500hours on type MCC, THEY MAY, give you the time of day and hire you but from experience, dont count on it!!! its way too expensive a hobby for that...

Cathy pacific will be your best chance but even there you need 1000hrs of quality time. i have friends who were rejected with 2500 hours because most of it was right seat instructor time.

scottiel8
25th Sep 2009, 12:52
p.s. procedure for JAA to CASA:

cpl AIR LAW, Instrument rating exam, ATPL air law (only if your atpl is unfrozen! if not you have to sit every exam!!!!!!)

Training as required for CPL, training as required for IR. Check rides respectively...

$10000 - 15000, 3 weeks full time? ( if you manage to get a great school)

:ugh:

rit
26th Sep 2009, 09:11
Can you name the great school offering the CASA conversion?:ok:

scottiel8
26th Sep 2009, 13:30
this is where the problems start!!!

in JAA / FAA there is a set standard that is followed. known as PTS (practical test standards) The instructors and the examiners are all schooled in the same way so there is pretty much consistency throughout!

here, there is a set standard somewhere but its usually a rough way of doing things rather than an exact way. my friend recently went through 8 check rides as the examiner kept adding things that HE thought should be in the check ride. basically failing him on things that arent on the check sheet.

the same sort of thing is happening at other schools around the country. shame. I can only imagine that if WAAC are approved for JAA, theyve been inspected and have pretty high and consistant standards. That would be my first stop.

personally, if your tarvelling from UK and looking to get a pilots licence that you can eventually use on a more international level, JAA and FAA are the only ways to go. Thats not just my opinion, thats simply what the airlines are looking for.

If you're an aussie and you plan to stay here working for virgin blue or jet star, CASA will be ideal.

:ok: