PDA

View Full Version : Embeded Video Problem

Evileyes
23rd Sep 2009, 09:43
I have recently noticed that many videos embedded in posts appear as blank spots on my screen. This happens in PPRuNe, blog sites, and even some internet news sites.

I am running a fairly newly installed version of Windows Explorer 8 on a Windows XP system.

Aside from the obvious solution of not using WE8 does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Cheers

phineas
23rd Sep 2009, 10:09
My initial guess would be that this is a Real Player issue. Go to Youtube and if nothing works go to the Real Player site an download the latest version.

If this doesn't do it please revert.

Bushfiva
23rd Sep 2009, 10:21
Download Adobe's Flash Player: Adobe - Adobe Flash Player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

Evileyes
23rd Sep 2009, 11:48
Thanks for the responses. I have now installed the newest versions of both Real Player and Adobe Flash Player.... still no joy.

Any other ideas?

Ancient Observer
23rd Sep 2009, 11:52
Any of the Java stuff missing?

Sprogget
23rd Sep 2009, 11:55
If you have ad blocking software which includes Norton, Kaspersky etc. try disabling it temporarily & try again.

phineas
23rd Sep 2009, 12:11
could you post a site with which you are having problems

Evileyes
23rd Sep 2009, 12:48
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/389874-80s-dating-videos.html is an example. Nothing but a blank white square.

I don't know if any Java stuff is missing. How does one check that?

I'm going through my security stuff now to find out it something is blocking it but as I haven't made any changes to those programs in months I'm not too hopeful.

I keep coming back to the newly installed IE8. This problem started about the time I 'upgraded' and IE8 keeps hanging up in normal use as well. Think I am going to have to try to get rid of it and go back to IE7.

phineas
23rd Sep 2009, 13:20
There could be two souces of your error, either the browser is not set up to view video or your real player isn't installed properly.

Look in My Documents->My Videos->Real Player Downloads hopefully there will be a flash video file there, double click on it to see if it works.

If there are no videos there go to You tube and download something.

If videos run from Real player then the problem is likely to be the browser settings. This is then a tedious case of fiddling with the various Internet Options until it works.

In general I'm not a Microsoft basher, but I think Firefox is a better product. IE security settings ended up being more trouble than the're worth

green granite
23rd Sep 2009, 14:07
If you right click on the video area it should give you a menu, one of which is 'about adobe flash player' if you cilck on the 'about' it will tell you if it's installed correctly. But it sounds more as though your page permissions aren't set correctly. Check the 'multimedia' permissions in 'internet options..advanced.

Evileyes
23rd Sep 2009, 16:52
OK. Dumping AdAware 2008, then running Crapcleaner and Glary Utilities fixed the up the problem.

When in doubt, clean out the garbage.

Thanks for the helpful ideas tho!

Saab Dastard
23rd Sep 2009, 16:55
You certainly don't need Real Player (:yuk:) to view embedded youtube clips.

I will not let it near any computer of mine and I have no problem viewing http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/389874-80s-dating-videos.html, or indeed any other such clip.

Have you got any plug-ins / add-ons in the browser that are blocking content - e.g. NoScript?

SD

Sprogget
23rd Sep 2009, 18:03
Five pounds please.