PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems.

Al R
23rd Sep 2009, 07:14
Hi all,

I have no sound coming out of my XP Pro driven speakers.

I have gone into Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware > IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. That is the only one being flagged with a snag, it says: “This device cannot start. Code 10”.

The Hardware Wizard and the Troubleshooter haven’t helped.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d be very grateful.

Cheers! :ok:

Sprogget
23rd Sep 2009, 08:01
Go the website of your device manufacturer, get the driver. Then Uninstall the device and, reinstall it.

phineas
23rd Sep 2009, 08:10
Is this a Dell machine?

Al R
23rd Sep 2009, 11:42
It is, yes.. do they do this more often than others?

Sprogget, cheers - I'll try that.

Ancient Observer
23rd Sep 2009, 11:59
Have the speakers never worked? If they have worked in the past, you could try a system restore to a time when they did work.
Natch you need to be aware of what you and/or microsoft have done to the machine since that time.

My daughter's lappy has a habit of removing recognition of the in-built speakers when she connects external ones via USB port, (for skype headphones) rather than via spkr out. As I'm not competent enough to figure out why, I tend to use system restore.

Sprogget
23rd Sep 2009, 12:18
The trouble with system restore is that it's something of a blunt instrument and the medicine is sometimes worse than the illness. If all else fails, then by all means restore, but if you can identify the issue without using it, then so much the better.

Al R
23rd Sep 2009, 18:48
The System Restore lost its back up points at the same time the other day, that the speakers went - thats no longer an option.

Rossian
23rd Sep 2009, 21:43
SWMBO has a slight variation on Al R's snag, in that the speakers work, but a headset plugged in for skype or iplayer doesn't. Buggah!
The Ancient Mariner