PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Down Near Blackpool 22nd Sept 09

PENNINE BOY
22nd Sep 2009, 13:04
Helicopter reported down near Blackpool. Just reported on BBC Radio Lancashire.

cyclic_fondler
22nd Sep 2009, 13:08
From the BBC news website.

A helicopter has crashed near an estuary in north Lancashire.

Police said a may day signal was sent from the aircraft as it flew over Poulton-le-Fylde, near Blackpool, at about 1210 BST.

About 45 minutes later, an aircraft was located at Barnaby's Sands, an area of salt marsh on the edge of the Wyre estuary.

Two people were believed to be on board but the extent of their injuries is not yet known.

Emergency services are at the scene and are carrying out a recovery operation.

jayteeto
22nd Sep 2009, 13:42
Sky reporting 2 killed in crash :(

dazdaz
22nd Sep 2009, 14:36
BBC 5Live news..........Bell 300

SASless
22nd Sep 2009, 14:42
What pray tell is a Bell 300?

BSHJAY
22nd Sep 2009, 14:47
My thoughts are with them

dazdaz
22nd Sep 2009, 14:47
Just posting from what the BBC 5 Live news (15.30) broadcast stated.

the beater
22nd Sep 2009, 15:22
Hughes 300.
Instructor and student.

Andy_20
22nd Sep 2009, 15:28
Sad news. thoughts are with the relatives.

RIP

GearDownFlaps
22nd Sep 2009, 16:04
May they RIP Terrible news

liamjc
22nd Sep 2009, 16:15
very sad news, thoughts are with the families. Aircraft was from pool aviation.

JTobias
22nd Sep 2009, 16:55
All,

Crap news, best wishes to the family and friends.

Joel

STANDTO
22nd Sep 2009, 17:07
I was admiring that on the apron at EGNH last tue, amongst the sea of Robbos.

Really bad news. See the report says the mayday was called over Poulton. Seems to have crashed over the other side of the estuary.

Just really bad news. Thoughts with all involved.

STANDTO

JAR FCL
22nd Sep 2009, 20:36
I doesnt look like those blades were turning if you look on the BBC news site, a sign of the fatal 'blades clapping hands'. Autorotation with the collective pulled too early I guess. Schweizer 269C, G-****. Wait for news to break. Too many media vermin about to give the G code yet. If you know the field, you will know the aircraft.

mark roebuck
22nd Sep 2009, 20:57
As you all know its not cut and dry please have a look at the evedence before making a judement
:ok:

heliUK
22nd Sep 2009, 21:18
What a terrible tragedy. The instructor involved was a fantastic person, great instructor and a good friend. I've never met anyone who could throw out so many jokes in such a short amount of time, i spoke to him just a few minutes before he took off and as ever his brilliant personality was beaming down the phone.
I did not know his student but my thoughts are with all the people they have left behind
R.I.P although i know your jokes will be disturbing that peace a little!

stringfellow
22nd Sep 2009, 21:34
i will second that with a smile. i flew once with the man and his impact was collosal... no edge or air of superiority.. a true humble gentleman, and a man with the 300 in his blood. a consumate proffessional at the controls, a joy to be around in the hangar.

with simple humility he dispelled the myth that some areas of flying are daunting... a no go area for the unqualified. and he did this with cheerful purpose born about because he just loved flying. a huge loss.

i do not know the identity of the student and therefore cannot comment but pass on deepest sympathy to all concerned,

i am so lucky to have shared a cockpit with this man. rip.

VfrpilotPB/2
22nd Sep 2009, 21:44
Having been a EGNH Brat in days past I am truly saddened by these two fellow airmen who have perished. and like many I will always wait to hear the correct outcome of any inquiry, rather than try to second guess the reason. My heartfelt sympathy's go to their family's,

Sadly the BBC North should send reporters who want to report fact, not Hack wet dreams, the Northern Irish Female reporter would have been better reporting on Dropped Knitting Needles in the WI rather than starting to guess at what she thought had happened, she is obviously very well informed, NOT

Peter D R-B
Vfrpilot/2

cyclic flare
22nd Sep 2009, 21:57
Just seen the TV footage of the crash site.

Its certainly looks like low rotor RPM

Very sad news

Gurrrh
22nd Sep 2009, 22:04
My thoughts are with the families at this time. I fly from Hangar 3 but haven't heard much yet.

Whirlygig
22nd Sep 2009, 22:17
Two online newspapers have reported that the mayday was received some 40 minutes before the aircraft crashed so likely to be more to it than low RRPM.

Sincerest sympathies to the friends and families.

Whirls

Mungo5
22nd Sep 2009, 22:53
mayday was received some 40 minutes before the aircraft crashed

Likely to be mis-reporting; one has to wonder what they were doing still flying 40 minutes later, rather than making a PL.

Sad news.

lastgasp
23rd Sep 2009, 06:19
A misinterpretation, I think.

Most reports indicate it was 40 mins after the Mayday before the crash site was located.

sammypilot
23rd Sep 2009, 08:19
If you thought the TV reporter was bad, try reading the MailOnLine report for absolute garbage.

on21
23rd Sep 2009, 08:58
How that mail online article can pass for journalism I'll never know.

Tragic accident, sympathies to all effected.

Paddyviking
23rd Sep 2009, 10:52
This accident and the one in Ireland last April brings home the dangers of instructing, you always have to be on-guard for everything.
As much as instructing is a sort of 'apprenticeship' to the instructor to becoming a more qualified/experienced pilot, it cannot be treated lightly.
Everyone who has instructed will have memories of 'what could have gone wrong'.
May both occupants R.I.P
sympathies to their families

Pv

STANDTO
23rd Sep 2009, 11:44
I was just about to log in to have a rant about the Mail, but I see someone has beaten me to it. It doesn't take forty minutes to fly over Blackpool, let alone Poulton.

Mind you, the local rag wasn't much better - they managed to check that a conservation officer will be going out to check on the eco damage as soon as they can.

I sometimes wonder whether PPRuNe should set up a journalists help-line to ring so they can check their anti-facts before submitting them to press.

beggars belief, doesn't it?:ugh:

the beater
23rd Sep 2009, 12:53
I was going to post that words fail me, but actually they don't. Here's a couple to look up in your dictionary:
1) Crass
2) Offensive
:mad:

zorab64
23rd Sep 2009, 13:29
Another sad day - BBC have just released the following:
A pilot and his flying pupil who were killed when the helicopter they were in crashed into marshland in north Lancashire have been identified.

The aircraft sent a Mayday signal as it flew over Poulton-le-Fylde at about 1210 BST on Tuesday. It came down at Barnaby's Sands 40 minutes later.

Pilot Stephen Lewis, 38, from Rainhill, Merseyside, died along with Phillip Grey, 45, of Mawdesley, Lancashire.

Mr Lewis had been leading the training flight when the crash happened.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: "We can confirm it was a training flight and the passenger was a learner."

The Mayday signal was received by Blackpool Airport's air traffic control, which alerted the emergency services.

Air accident investigators have been examining the scene of the crash, which left debris spread across the marshland.

The cause of the accident is not yet clear.

It would appear the earlier comment about 40 mins from Mayday to accident was a typo - given both comments above and the first report.

RIP, Gents.

fergie48
23rd Sep 2009, 13:46
Steve was a really nice man who everybody liked.
A true gentleman, a great pilot and instructor. We will miss him very dearly.
Thoughts go out to their families.
R.I.P.

Andy_20
23rd Sep 2009, 14:56
Steve? have names been released yet?:confused:

Heliport
23rd Sep 2009, 15:00
Steve? have names been released yet?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Read post 29. :confused:

Bravo73
23rd Sep 2009, 15:50
Steve Lewis?

I've got a horrible, horrible feeling that Steve and SEL (http://www.pprune.org/members/64592-sel) are one and the same. RIP Steve. http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YxGa547Y9FOCfM:http://www.kpforum.net/forums/images/smilies/crying_smiley.jpg

I do hope that I've got it wrong though.

northernher0
23rd Sep 2009, 20:44
unfortunately i believe steve was sel on here.

to paddy, some of us don't instruct as an apprenticeship but because we want to, and steve was very much in that camp, he was an experienced and professional aviator with several thousand hours mainly in the 3 bird, and i'm certain he fought the bl00dy thing all the way to the ground doing whatever he could to deal with whatever happened. we'll leave that up to the aaib to find

he was a truly great person who will be missed by anyone who met him in whatever capacity.
i had the luck of calling him a friend as well as the honour of working with him.
also, in the past we flew together doing some of his type ratings

he was always a professional, could always get his subject across to his students and could put anyone at ease within seconds of meeting him

he really loved the job and literally breathed helicopters and was always looking to make things happen better

i will miss the jokes appearing in my inbox and our conversations about bad 80's tv and will never again be able to assign 'his' ringtone in my phone

i didn't know his student but wish his family and of course steve's all the best in thier time of sorrow

r.i.p steve, we all will miss you

aughton1
23rd Sep 2009, 21:32
Steve Lewis bloody great guy! GUTTED.

Senior Pilot
23rd Sep 2009, 22:57
Whilst I didn't know Stephen personally, it is terribly sad when someone that we all "knew" through Rotorheads dies when flying helicopters. If anyone here is able to provide details of the funeral arrangements when they are known, please do so.

:(

craigahunter
23rd Sep 2009, 22:58
Im upset today to hear this devastating news, my thoughts are with friends and family. I have been training with steve for a year, and he was an absolute delight to fly with. He had a great sense of humour and we probably spent alot of time laughing on our flights, he made every lesson interesting and fun. Ive flown in that very helicopter nearly 30 times with steve recently and its always been a pleasure. I will miss a good instructor.

What happened yet no one knows and its hard to accept, as it could have been any one of us sat by his side at this terrible moment who were currently training with him. If anyone could publish details at any point (obviously with his families consent) for where flowers or cards may be sent I would be grateful (if this information is know by anyone).

Anyway steve, i wont give up as I know you would'nt want me to and i'll do my best to pass, but shouldn't be a problem with a great teacher like you, just wont be the same as im not used to flying without listening to bad jokes. good night god bless mate.

My sympathies go out to both families.

choppertop
24th Sep 2009, 08:20
I sometimes wonder whether PPRuNe should set up a journalists help-line to ring so they can check their anti-facts before submitting them to press

You'd help them, right?

Right.

Bravo73
24th Sep 2009, 08:52
You'd help them, right?

Right.

choppertop,

Please wind your neck in for the time being. There are currently slightly greater matters at stake than your issues with how 'we' treat journalists. :ugh:

VfrpilotPB/2
24th Sep 2009, 14:59
BBC Northern News Wednesday Evening at 1830hrs. and 2130hrs

Used the picture and opening post from this Rotorhead Forum, as well as reading it over the TV broadcasted channel, but despite all the comment we have made in many different ways, these TV Journo's are still trying to guess what has happened, and put some sort of sensational slant with it.

Just remember all of you who post, eyes are on the Pprune, and these idiots will pick the most lurid and sensational comment made, then transmit to the great unwashed as TRUE FACT.

Be careful with posts!:oh:

Peter R-B
Vfr

go34
24th Sep 2009, 19:27
I was devastated to hear the news about Steve, still can't believe it.

I have been one of his students for about nine months. I was due to fly with him again this week.

From the first day i met Steve his ability to put you at ease and explain the complicated was apparent. I don't think i will be able to get into a helicopter again without thinking of his fantastic humour and awful jokes, which would have you laughing for most of the lesson. I'm sure his humour is legendary with anyone who ever met him.

I consider it a privilege to have known him even for such a short time. My prayers and sympathes go out to the family and friends of both men.

Good night and god bless mate.

stringfellow
24th Sep 2009, 21:32
go 34, you raise a common thread about steves ability to articulate something that appears complex... within 5 mins of meeting steve he identified that my main weakness was zone transits and rt... so he threw me in at the deep end and within fifteen mins we were crossing his beloved liverpool air space and the fact that i was talking to them and flying in what before was the forbidden land made me feel so relieved. every other instructor gave me the impression that busy transits are purely the domain of the commercial pilot, steve dispelled the myth, and that was the measure of the man.

if steve was your sole instructor please bear this in mind. instructors fall into two categories, those simply hour building and those who simply love it. steve was an accomplished pilot in many other areas but instructed because he loved it and he was a natural. the gulf between a good instructor and a bad one is vast. i have learnt the hard way. i only flew with steve after my ppl and his humourous articulation of what appeared unattainable was so refreshing.

all the best with your future training and never be scared to speak up and be heard, steve always did.

chester2005
25th Sep 2009, 00:05
I was fortunate enough to meet Steve on a number of occasions at the Helicentre Liverpool he always came across as a consumate professional with a sense of humour and i never heard a bad word said about him.

RIP both Steve and his student.

My thoughts are with their families.

Chester

gusmagoo
25th Sep 2009, 07:17
Deepest condolences to all affected by this tragic loss of two lives…
I too knew Steve and had the pleasure of flying with him at Liverpool on a couple of occasions. He was an amazingly decent chap, humorous, knowledgeable, professional and passionate about flying. He will be very sadly missed…

Torquetalk
25th Sep 2009, 07:32
Just remember all of you who post, eyes are on the PPRuNe, and these idiots will pick the most lurid and sensational comment made, then transmit to the great unwashed as TRUE FACT.Not the kind of comment that is going to win friends and influence people. Respect begets respect and dealing constructively with both public and journalists is better than dissing both.

Sad news.

sammypilot
25th Sep 2009, 08:42
Steve was known to members of the fixed wing fraternity when he had a spell with Merseyflight in Liverpool. I can ensorse all the sentiments that have been expressed about him, a really nice gentle giant of a man.

The most accurate report I have seen so far appears in the Blackpool Gazette.

Dantruck
25th Sep 2009, 14:14
I promised on here long ago never again to defend the journo’s, and I’ll try not to break that rule now, but the poor reporting we have seen is an unfortunate product of the way today’s media is structured. For the most part that means; the way it is funded. STANDTO asked if Pruners could form some sort of information desk so that journalists had someone to call for factual answers. Journalists have always held lists of people they can call on every subject. Unfortunately, today’s online hack is too time poor and cash-strapped to pick up the phone to call even the likes of me, and that was when I was the editor of a helicopter magazine. I’m afraid a ‘Prune Heli-Helpline’ would simply get ignored along with the rest.
Now is not the time to get into another discussion on this subject...that much has been done before, here and elsewhere. But if anyone does have a genuine question about how and why the media acts the way it does on these occasions I would be happy to try and explain. PM me if you prefer. Just do please try not to shoot the messenger, eh?

Never had the privilege to know Steve. Sounds like he was quite a guy!
Dan

AdyL
26th Sep 2009, 15:49
Hi,

My brother was Steven Lewis, the flight instructor tragically killed in the Tuesday 22nd September helicopter crash near Blackpool.

Firstly, my family and I would like to say thank you for all the posts of good wishes and condolences, they really mean a lot to us at this time.

Some of the posts have asked about the funeral arrangements - these are ongoing but I will post again here once they are confirmed.

Some posts have also asked about flowers, cards, donations and so on. On the question of flowers these will be family only. However...

For donations, we would like them to be between:
- North West Air Ambulance
- Whiston Hospital Oncology Department (further details may follow for this)
...or one of the cancer research charities

For any cards you would like to send, please forward to the family via:
- Craven Lodge, Broadgreen Road, Liverpool, L13 5SG

Thanks again for your kind wishes,
Adrian Lewis

Paul Dean
28th Sep 2009, 17:50
Hello Adrian

I want to pass on my heart felt condolences to you and your family.

I have been learning to fly helicopters with Steve since October 2008. I got to know him quite well and I thought he was an absolute brilliant person. We flew home to our house one time and had a cup of coffee with Fiona my wife and chatted in the kitchen. Fiona was well impressed with Steve because of how freindly he was and so easy to get on with after meeting him for only 15mins or so.

I am happy to have known Steve and I will surely remember and cherish
my Wednesday lessons which I always looked forward to. I told him on a few occassions that I thought he was a mega pilot because he impressed me so much with his flying skills, knowledge & professionalism.

Phil Gray who was with Steve was also one of my close friends who I have known for 25 years and he was a great guy who worked hard and played hard, he to will be sadly missed by many people. Phil started lessons in January 2009. Phil and I spoke on a few occasions about our latest flying experiences and we were like teenagers again when ever we spoke about our flying lessons with our happy instructor with the big personality.

You and your family must be very proud of Steve.

God bless Steve

I am sorry

Paul

QDM.AVIATION
2nd Oct 2009, 07:18
Steve, you had a massive personality and I was lucky enough to fly with you a couple of times. You became a friend and used to love seeing you at Caernarfon and getting your funny emails that used to cheer me up when I have had a pants day.

Born instructor who was outstanding at his job, gentle giant with a great personality, lit up the room. Going to miss you buddy.

There is one word - legend. You inspired me and everyone you met.

Good bless and RIP, will be thinking about you

Sam Betley

Heli-Ice
2nd Oct 2009, 23:04
Phororhacos

I guess you are not at the right place with your query.

I recommend these two:

Hughes 269/Schweizer 300 series (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/105788-hughes-269-schweizer-300-series.html)

&

Robinson Helicopters: R22 thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/307956-robinson-helicopters-r22-thread.html)

AdyL
3rd Oct 2009, 15:58
Hello,

Last week I promised to post arrangements for the funeral of my brother Steven Lewis here.

Thanks again for the kind words and posts on this forum. Keep the helifaith.

Wednesday October 7th, 3pm
Springwood Crematorium
Springwood Avenue
Woolton
Liverpool

- Family flowers only by request
- Black dress is optional
- Donations to:
* North West Air Ambulance
* Ward G5 Whiston Hospital

The Lancs Police have issued the request that while press is not prohibited we strongly demand that the familys privacy and personal space be preserved.

Thanks,
Adrian Lewis

Rob1975
7th Oct 2009, 18:48
Adrian, not looked on here, but read about the funeral today in the local press.

Your brother Steven sounded like a top instructor - I didn't know him, but sure to say all our thoughts on here are with you and your family.

Rob