PDA

View Full Version : USLs - Incidents whilst hooking/unhooking

Adam Nams
22nd Sep 2009, 09:46
I know that hooking up or unhooking a USL with the helicopter hovering overhead looks risky, and when practiced regularly the actual time spent under the aircraft can be cut down to a few seconds, but has anyone ever heard of any incidents of anyone being hurt whilst performing this task?

When operating in a previous life, our pilots always used to brief that in the event of an engine failure (assuming not safe single) they "would attempt to move clear of the load before landing". I would be intetrested to hear from anyone who has had this happen to them and also what the outcome was (I think I can guess :eek:, but I am always ready to be surprised!!).

Reason for asking - just trying to put a few minds at ease!

22nd Sep 2009, 12:04
Most of the incidents are due to forgetting to use the earthing probe properly because the hooker is rushing to reduce exposure time - always amusing to see someone get zapped!!:)

Adam Nams
22nd Sep 2009, 12:19
Hi Crab

Thanks for that, always a favourite of mine as well.

I have often told the tale of the SHOSW (Senior Holding Officer South West) putting the chain of the earthing probe in his trouser pocket to keep it from getting tangled around his legs. :uhoh:

SASless
22nd Sep 2009, 12:21
It helps to pick a standard direction to move to....no sense the ground guy running the same direction the aircraft is moving.....or brief for any variation from the standard.

Having flown Chinooks who have the ability to both stir things up with their rotor wash and create "Lightning" particularly in dusty LZ's.....I have seen some spectacular incidents.

The US Army in all of its infinite wisdom equipped the Chinooks with a system to "discharge static" and mounted it on the side of the fuselage about mid-way between the two rotor systems. It was supposed to build up a static charge to a certain level and "spark" harmlessly into the air. Ask the soldier who walked by the thing wearing a Steel Helmet after some pilot forgot to turn the switch on the thing after "discharging" the system. I reckon we might have converted some Heathens to the Almighty after "lightning" struck them.

Note: The US Army removed the system after a while and we went back to using the age old method of discharging static....that being the use of a Squaddie's extended arm as we hovered over a soon to be underslung load.

Adam Nams
22nd Sep 2009, 12:33
Hi SASless

Thanks - we always brief our guys to do it the JADTEU way - in and out from the 3 o'clock, so I would expect the pilot to try and move left in the event of....

I think that for the majority it would be a case of 'whoops' before you even knew what happened. I am of the opinion that 'sh&t happens' and that we will minimise the risk by not hanging around under the load any longer than necessary.

Trying to convince some of our guys though is proving a little difficult :ugh:

Gordy
22nd Sep 2009, 15:59
Adam:

in and out from the 3 o'clock

Please do not do that any where near my aircraft. I fly single engine conventional rotors---i.e.counter clockwise rotation, and I sit on the right. In the event of an engine failure in the hover---as you say---the whoops would hit before you knew what happened---the aircraft will yaw to the right. Also, if I am in a slightly higher hover--I will go where I can see, which is normally to the right...

I brief all my crew to either stand with the clevis above their head and I will fly to them, or, come in at the front, walking from the front left. (I have a mirror in the way on the right side chin bubble), they walk in, hook up and out the same way. They should only be under the helicopter for less than 5 seconds. They are briefed that in the event of an aircraft problem, to NOT run---as inevitably they will all run different directions. If they are NOT under the aircraft at the time---stand still and I will avoid them---or if they are under---throw themselves to the ground, preferably towards the back of the aircraft.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/LaFawnduh%2008/IMG_0077.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/LaFawnduh%2008/IMG_0078.jpg

And a video:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjuvfkRigxg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjuvfkRigxg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Hughes500
22nd Sep 2009, 16:28
No I sit on the left side and use a longline ( 50 to 150ft) much safer for the ground crew. If Mr Allison goes quiet It would be forward so therefore and hopefully missing everyone !!!!!!!!!!

Gordy
22nd Sep 2009, 16:35
Hughes500:

No I sit on the left side and use a longline

Our Huey's allow us to sit left side...just not the L4, and yep I use a longline also, (you can see it in the video on the ground), however, the crew is required to also do hover hook-ups. (Video was taken during annual crew recurrency training).

Agreed it is safer for the crew to use a long line, at which time I put the hook on the ground, and back up a little.