PDA

View Full Version : Getting an AOC in NZ or AUS

Bla Bla Bla
20th Sep 2009, 11:36
Hi,

I would like to hear from anyone with experience of gaining an AOC for a small GA charter operation. The ups the downs the red tape and roughly how long it took them and what was involved.

Horatio Leafblower
20th Sep 2009, 12:45
G'day Bla

It took me nearly 9 months for my first CHTR AOC application to get through CASA (1998);

It took 6 months for the next one (2007);

It took 3 1/2 months for the third one, with a flying school attached(2009).

I find that the 5 P's apply when dealing with CASA; if you have all your stuff in a pile, and a CP/HAAMC that really knows what he's doing (and knows his Ops Manual) then it is so much easier.

You can expect a simple AWK AOC to set you back about $6000 in CASA fees, an CHTR org about $8-10,000 if it has a CPL flying school attached.

A IFR School would be a lot more I imagine.

Getting someone who has done it before to write your manuals and coach you will help the process; I know there are a couple of companies that use this guy (http://www.airspeedaviation.com.au) with a fair degree of success.

Good luck, and remember: CASA is NOT the enemy :ok:

Bla Bla Bla
21st Sep 2009, 02:54
Thank HL, thinking of a small one pilot one plane operation to start and see how we go from there, maybe even offer the odd bit of training. Just in the thinking about it stage at the moment so any information is really appreciated.

Bandit1200
21st Sep 2009, 09:29
Have you looked around at what is available and already set up?
I would reckon there are a few small operators around that are keen to move on at a reasonable asking price. Bear in mind that they will all start with a huge asking price but when push comes to shove you could pick up a resonable operation at a good price. You would be surprised at what would be available to you if you put your mind to it!!!