PDA

View Full Version : North Denes Closing

ScotiaQ
20th Sep 2009, 11:09
I heard a rumour that North Denes is closing. Any one else heard anything?

Camp Freddie
20th Sep 2009, 15:16
nothing is ever for sure but as far as I am concerned that rumour is just a lot of bunk, there is nothing to support it.

CF

S76driver
20th Sep 2009, 15:50
No, midday is too early....usually around 9pm till 5.30 am! :ok:

ScotiaQ
21st Sep 2009, 16:02
My source must be mis-informed, sorry for any trouble caused.

HOGE
21st Sep 2009, 18:25
It's looked closed down for years admittedly!:)

colinhunn
8th Mar 2010, 16:06
I understand that North Denes is to close December 2010 with CHC heli ops to transfer to NWI and a new purpose-built hangar. Has any other members heard anything?

noooby
8th Mar 2010, 19:36
Is CHC selling Nth Denes? Afterall, they do own it.

helimutt
9th Mar 2010, 07:22
who knows?

ericferret
9th Mar 2010, 10:46
Brilliant post Helimutt I genuinely can't tell if you are serious or taking the piss.

chopper2004
9th Mar 2010, 12:35
Helimutt & Colinhunn

History rewriting itself in No Folk :} then, if zat is true so the next door competition relocates into No Witch :ok: so if predicted Bristows finds itself next door with CHC and not forgetting NHV :):eek:

Looks like NWI airspace gonna get busy and I won't be doing my x country around there at anytime soon :cool:

colinhunn
9th Mar 2010, 12:37
I have taken his post to be genuine. It concurs both what I have heard and what I would expect.

colinhunn
9th Mar 2010, 12:39
..............and add Bond from 0610. NWI the ABZ of the SouthEast!!!

pitchlink
9th Mar 2010, 18:42
In Denes today. This has been discussed for months but no confirmaton. That is not to say it will not happen, and it will not be the last time the guys on the coalface are the last to find out!!!

colinhunn
9th Mar 2010, 20:25
Hopefully, if it happens their jobs will be safe further along the A47

helimutt
9th Mar 2010, 20:43
I can assure you my post was totally tongue in cheek. As stated, the guys at the coalface are always the last to hear! :ok:

atcomarkingtime
10th Mar 2010, 18:47
Helimut.......tongue in cheek....from you....naye!!!!:ok:

colinhunn
10th Mar 2010, 21:27
I understand that an article on North Denes is due to appear in tomorrows (11th March) Eastern Daily Press newspaper.:ooh:

helimutt
10th Mar 2010, 21:50
Well that is a coincidence! :ok::E

manfromuncle
11th Mar 2010, 07:05
Yarmouth 'could lose heliport'

ANTHONY CARROLL ([email protected])

Last updated: 11/03/2010 05:47:00

A helicopter company which ferries workers from Great Yarmouth to North Sea oil and gas platforms is considering moving its base of operations from the town.

CHC has a fleet of five helicopters at Yarmouth's North Denes heliport, which has been serving the offshore industry for 40 years.

Yesterday the Aberdeen-based company confirmed that it is looking into the possibility of relocating its North Denes base, which operates Augusta Westland 139 and Sikorsky S76 helicopters and has 70 staff.

CHC is asking its offshore customers if they would support the closure and relocation of the heliport's business.

If the response is negative then the plans should be ditched.

The EDP understands that CHC is considering moving its Yarmouth operation to Norwich International Airport because of the costs of building a new run way at North Denes.

Last night Yarmouth Borough Council leader Barry Coleman said his authority was working closely with CHC to try and persuade the company to stay at North Denes.

As well as the ramifications of losing 70 jobs from Yarmouth, it is feared that fewer offshore workers will stay in Yarmouth hotels and guest houses if they land elsewhere in the region.

On average about 30,000 passengers pass through the heliport's terminal to get to the southern part of the North Sea.

Mr Coleman hopes CHC can be persuaded to stay in Yarmouth by pointing out that the town will be at the centre of ambitious plans to expand offshore wind turbines and carbon capture sites.

He said: "It would be big blow if CHC did move.

"The council is working with CHC to try and persuade them that it would be better for them to stay where they are.

"We will be showing them that the long term benefits of staying at North Denes will outweigh any short term financial advantage of relocating."

A spokeswoman from CHC's Aberdeen head offices said: "CHC are looking into the possibility of relocating from North Denes however at this stage no decisions have been made.

"Our priority is to provide the best possible service to our customers and as such we are engaging with them to gain their feedback on any potential move.

"Should any relocation happen in the future, it is our intention that there would be no material changes to existing contracts."

In 2006 CHC, which operates 250 aircraft in 35 countries, started to bring in Augusta Westland 139 helicopters alongside Sikorsky S76s at North Denes.

helimutt
11th Mar 2010, 07:20
"We will be showing them that the long term benefits of staying at North Denes will outweigh any short term financial advantage of relocating."

Ha ha ha. Is that gonna matter?? :E

Big day at CHC today I hear!

manfromuncle
11th Mar 2010, 08:14
Is there room at Norwich? What building would they use? What with NHV there, Bond coming this year, this isn't good news for Bristow?

colinhunn
11th Mar 2010, 20:56
A new-build hangar has been mentioned which I assume will be part of the new SaxonAir complex, currently under construction.

chevvron
12th Mar 2010, 09:49
Course CHC could always open up ND as a proper airfield again. In the late 60s/early 70s there was a thriving flying school with C150s there, and there's always potential for pleasure flying eg to see the seals on Scroby Sands etc.

Oh Silent One
8th Apr 2010, 13:24
I cant see either why they cant do up the old Bond terminal and invite one of the other companies to operate from denes. It worked when it was Bond and Bristows there, why not again ?? Get the runway done and as some one said you could have a flying school there, or SAR base ??

bladegrabber
10th Sep 2010, 12:03
Heard rumours that the incumbent at N.Denes is moving out to a new base at norwich. Whats to become of N.Denes and all the people who work there ? Is someone else going to move in or will it be lost forever?

Chinesewhispers
12th Sep 2010, 11:18
North Denes is not closing. CHC are selling it back to Bond. Nice Mr Bond is about to take back the Southern North Sea and not before time. CHC are moving to a new hangar being built at Norwich not that it will do them any good. They will have lost all their contracts before long. I am surprised that they have any left the way they have been carrying on.

bladegrabber
13th Sep 2010, 16:42
Chinesewhispers

HaHa thats a good one have you any proof to back it up? Someone must know facts?

goatface
13th Sep 2010, 17:36
Not sure of the exact timeline (although I think it is Dec 10 or New year 11), but it would appear that CHC are moving to Norwich with all the current contracts, they'll be based at the new Saxonair/Klyne Hanger complex at Norwich.

There are two aspects to this:

1. The major clients of CHC have been bitching like hell for them to operate from an airport which has full hard runway and navigational facilities with the option of H24 ATC cover in the event of an emergency. Additionally, the vast majority of passengers flying out of Denes, fly to Norwich then have to get the train or a taxi to Gt Yarmouth, in a lot of cases it involves an overnight stay at the passengers expense. To date CHC have always go around this but the clients appear to have said enough is enough.

2. The CAA have been threatening CHC with the closure of N Denes for several years now, the main points being the lack of a hard runway and the integrity of the airfield and it's physical and navigational faclilities (anyone ion the industry doesn't need me to tell you what the latter entails).
CHC won't invest in a hard runway at Denes or the other work due to the high costs and it will be cheaper in the long run to operate from Norwich, it's highly likely that they'll keep the current contracts by doing so.

Earlier this year Bond were advertising for pilots and engineers to be based at Norwich and have signed up for hangerage with Skydrift for the aircraft servicing the Wind Turbine Engineering Contract and any other work that comes up.

Why buy an airfield which is inconvenient to the majority of your client base when you can simply move into a fully equipped one at less expense?

This time I do think it's really happening and N Denes will soon become an exercise yard for the Doggy Track next door.

rufus.t.firefly
13th Sep 2010, 17:41
The problem with CHC is that they can't be in the same game if they are in the wrong stadium ! The greyhound / banger track is the wrong venue to compete on a level playing field :ugh: commercial sense dictates a move

colinhunn
9th Nov 2010, 12:58
The closure was confirmed in the local press last night. CHC Scotia transfering to Norwich International Airport "up the road" at the impressive new Saxonair complex.

Great Yarmouth heliport to close after 40 years - Business - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/great_yarmouth_heliport_to_close_after_40_years_1_720749)
:ooh:

lowfat
9th Nov 2010, 15:08
I wouldn't call a new hangar impressive granted your away from the water treatment plant.
All in its just a hangar!

colinhunn
9th Nov 2010, 16:05
It IS impressive and is expected to attract alot more biz traffic to NWI. Apparently, will be superior to some biz facilities in the S.E. of England.
Saxonair are a very ambitious company and a big asset to NWI airport. They are funding the building themselves.

So there:=

902Jon
9th Nov 2010, 17:52
From EDP comments:

Bad news indeed not only for Great Yarmouth but also for the residents of NE Norwich and surrounding area who already have had enough of these damned cacophonous things flying over.

:rolleyes:

niknak
9th Nov 2010, 19:01
902Jon

Well that's OK, all the NIMBYS who moved in after Norwich Airport started operating can move to North Denes can't they?:rolleyes:

Excellent news for everyone at Saxonair who have been beavering away on this contract for ages, well done Chris and James (and Mr Klyne!):ok:

lowfat
10th Nov 2010, 08:58
Beg to differ it IS just a hangar all be it with fancy clading.
Saxon air is Financed by Kline who made his money in boats.
Just who are they going to attract to Norwich?
If you have real cash why would you want to come Norwich in your biz jet? You certainly cannot say it is convient to London.
The new facility is a rich mans garage for his VERY nice and new Planes/toys.
As a side note the other side has been leased to CHC the repurcussions of their move to Norwich has yet to unfold but their customers are far from happy.

Discuss :ugh:

Whirlygig
10th Nov 2010, 13:57
You certainly cannot say it is convient to London. :confused: London isn't the be-all-and-end-all of the UK. There are other places y'know. Like Norwich. I love the smell of sour grapes in the morning. :}

Cheers

Whirls

lowfat
10th Nov 2010, 16:20
Yep your right hang on is that Roman Abramovich's Gulfstream on approach..... oh sorry my mistake its Bernard Mathews in his 20 year old Citation popping in to check on his Turkey Empire......:D

Its the 21st centuary not the 11th .

I asked a valid question What Biz jets is this Impresive facilty going to attract?

ironchefflay
10th Nov 2010, 16:45
im pretty sure it was the CHC customers that were wanting the move to Norwich

lowfat
10th Nov 2010, 17:25
North Denes is close to the customers facilates and harbour it can open and close when it likes.

Norwich has limited opening times in comparision also an aggressive anti aircraft lobby which see it as a blight on their house values ,not an asset to the comunity providing jobs.
It is also 25 miles and 40 minutes away which can be considerably longer in summer (A47 and tourists) Not good if you need to get skilled man or part out to rig .
Whats the cost per hour of lost production?

My personal view is that CHC are banking on the SAR contract and couldn't careless about the southern North Sea.

niknak
10th Nov 2010, 19:48
I'll have you know that 'Naarwich' quite likes the 11th century. Just try driving here up the A11. Then it will be no surprise that the average wage is £13,000 and you can buy a house for £60,000.

That may apply to Gt Yarmouth but definately not Norwich.

LowFat

The CHC move was actually driven by their customers. If CHC hadn't moved their customers would have - to other providers.

Childish personal attacks removed. :rolleyes:

bladegrabber
10th Nov 2010, 20:49
So which one of CHC's unfortunate customers wanted to move to Norwich then? I for one didnt ask them to and i know of several others who are extremely pi**ed off about it.

BG

colinhunn
10th Nov 2010, 21:14
I thought this thread was about North Denes closing!! :*

colinhunn
10th Nov 2010, 21:17
A house for £60,000 now that would be nice.....Skint of Norwich;)

Whirlygig
11th Nov 2010, 14:02
Awrigh' then, this one would give you leeway ....

1 bedroom end of terrace house for sale in Bull Close Road, Norwich, NR3, NR3 (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27214432.html?premiumA=true)

The point is, property is pretty cheap in Norfolk.

Cheers

Whirls

Shell Management
12th Nov 2010, 15:04
Well done CHC.

Thats 12 years too late but never mind.

At least that GOM-style operation will cease.

lowfat
17th Feb 2011, 21:39
Yesterday, Bond Offshore Helicopters registered their first AW139 helicopter with the UK CAA – it is G-PERA which reflects it being contracted to the independent oil & gas company Perenco. Previously this company’s operations were supported by an AW139 from CHC. The AW139, which will be joined by a second prior to the contract start on 1st May, will be based from Norwich. This airport is fast becoming the “Aberdeen of the Southern North Sea” as other options such as North Denes are closed down. (see HeliHub.com story)

This is the first time Bond Offshore Helicopters operates the AW139.

Perenco has operations in 16 countries across the globe, ranging from Northern Europe to Africa and from South America to the Middle East.

All the above stolen from HELIHUB...

Well there you go NIKNAK :=thats the first CHC customer voting with their feet.....:D

Any more ?:rolleyes:

Oh and no BOND do not occupy the White elephant hanger.....

Brilliant Stuff
18th Feb 2011, 08:47
Pictures of said machine??

ScotiaQ
18th Feb 2011, 10:27
The first Bond AW 139 will arrive in Norwich early next week. It is still to be painted in Bond colours, it is leased from ERA helicopters and is currently in their colours.

It will be ready for contract on 1st. May 2011:ok:

Sq

TiPwEiGhT
18th Feb 2011, 12:22
Are the CHC 139's from Norwich off somewhere sunny? Saw an Antonov pick two G-reg ones from Stavanger the other day.

TiP

vee_why
18th Feb 2011, 13:02
The ones in Stavanger are off to sunny Oz (they were G-reg'd to ease export to Oz). They weren't actually used in the UK.

TiPwEiGhT
18th Feb 2011, 13:28
OK, makes sense. I wondered if they were Coastgaurd machines since they were G-CGR... but hey ho.

Epiphany
18th Feb 2011, 15:56
What happened to the CHC 139's that were flying in UK from North Denes if they were not the ones Australia bound?

Brilliant Stuff
18th Feb 2011, 15:59
Cheers SQ, does that mean they are not new machines?

vee_why
18th Feb 2011, 19:33
They are still at Denes Epiphany, apart from one that is at Humberside. Norwich move doesn't happen till April/May.

mary meagher
18th Feb 2011, 22:04
North Denes closing completely? what a pity. Perhaps they will extend the caravan park?

I landed a glider there once, having flown from Nympsfield and ran out of land, too chicken to swing round the oil rig that was out at sea.

A famous glider pilot landed there once, flown from North Hill in Devon, he was based at Bicester. So rang Bicester for airtow - North Dene manager said the field is too short to do an airtow! but it was too late to stop the tug flying in from Bicester. Airfield manager said, right, I'm not responsible for what happens, I'm going home now.

So the glider was pushed back against the fence, the tug pushed back as well, ran up to full power on the brakes, and there was a mighty yank on the towrope; glider got airborne ok, but tug still on the ground, still on the ground, still on the ground...then hoiked up into the air to miss the earth bank at the end of the runway.

Folks in the caravan park were astonished when first the tug, then the glider appeared, ran briefly along their drive before at last achieving liftoff. And combination returned to Bicester.

No, it wasn't me. I had a road retrieve from North Dene.

helihub
18th Feb 2011, 22:20
What happened to the CHC 139's that were flying in UK from North Denes if they were not the ones Australia bound?

The two which were airfreighted ex Stavangar on Wednesday bound for Australia were brand new 139s.

here's one:-
http://www.helihub.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/110218-chc-cgrh.jpg

ScotiaQ
19th Feb 2011, 10:54
They are both new macines, G-PERA currently has 15 Hours and the second aircraft is still on the production line in Philadelphia.

lowfat
23rd Mar 2011, 08:01
Top rumour today off the jungle drums is that CHC are staying put and NOT moving to Norwich........

bladegrabber
23rd Mar 2011, 09:38
Lowfat

Thats a great rumour and a real shame its not true, we'd all like N.Denes to stay open!

lowfat
23rd Mar 2011, 14:04
Well the jungle drums are beating so loud my ears are bleading......

LXGB
24th Mar 2011, 10:22
Well the jungle drums are beating so loud my ears are bleading......

Do tell! What's the latest?

no slots
24th Mar 2011, 11:42
sounds like.... keeerrrrching!!!!! as usual!

Danscowpie
24th Mar 2011, 19:06
keeerrrrching!!!!!

Would that be a Gooner keeerrrrching!!!!! or a Narfuk keeerrrrching?:p

lowfat
24th Mar 2011, 19:29
Great Yarmouth Heliport closure plans put on hold - Business - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/great_yarmouth_heliport_closure_plans_put_on_hold_1_839354)

A REPRIEVE granted to Great Yarmouth’s heliport has been labelled a “big opportunity” for the borough after plans to close it were put on hold.

In November, CHC Helicopter- formerly CHC Scotia Limited- announced plans to shut its North Denes site downin May to move its offshore operations to Norwich International Airport.
The news was met with consternation by many in Yarmouth, who pointed to the 30,000 people who used the Caister Road terminal each year to reach rigs in the North Sea and its drip-down boost for the local economy.
However today CHC Helicopter said that “under current market conditions” the plan to move was not viable at the current time, and would be put on hold.
Among those greeting the decision with enthusiasm was Great Yarmouth Borough Council leader Barry Coleman, who labelled it “excellent news”.
He described the heliport as “symbolic” of Great Yarmouth’s employment for the future and its hopes for offshore and future renewable development.
He said: “We realise they’ve not made a full decision yet but it’s a very important development.
“There’s a big opportunity here. Obviously they’ve reconsidered their options and Yarmouth has not been discounted.”
Under the plans, the heliport’s 74 staff were told they would be given the chance to relocate. CHC Helicopter had previously pointed to the need to invest heavily in new facilities for the site, which has been in use since the 70s.
The proposed headquarters in Norwich, separate from existing facilities, were to be in Saxonair and Klyne Aviation buildings currently under construction.
Mr Coleman emphasised that a lot of work had previously gone on behind the scenes involving the council to make the case for them staying here “though whether that had a part in the decision I don’t know”.
He added that as soon as the news had emerged officers from the council had got in contact with CHC Helicopter to offer assistance, short of anything financial.
“There are hotels and guests houses here that benefit, as well as taxis, and it goes right through the supply chain”.
Commenting on the decision, CHC’s vice president of operations Nick Mair said: “While the proposed move would have represented a significant investment for the company allied to a potentially long term commitment to Norwich, given current market conditions, the solution for CHC is to remain at our present location at North Denes.
“Naturally it is disappointing that we cannot continue with the move at this time and, as an organisation, we remain confident that a move to Norwich would be a positive one, provided it is undertaken at the right time and under the correct market conditions.
“However, we believe now is not that time, hence the decision to end any speculation by confirming the status quo will continue for the time being and that it is very much business as usual for North Denes.”

fill ya boots..

bladegrabber
24th Mar 2011, 20:04
LF

Good news indeed and well done for rumouring it correctly.

Fingers crossed for the future at ND for all.

BG

ScotiaQ
14th Jul 2011, 19:02
What exactly are CHC doing at North Denes, now that Bond are carrying out Perenco work at Norwich? I would be interested to know.

Sq

Overthewater
14th Jul 2011, 20:15
Cutting the grass, filling the potholes, playing croquet and generally laying about. Otherwise flying for Perenco and six other clients.

linuxyeti
1st Aug 2011, 19:01
Hi All

I don't suppose anybody can confirm the AW139's curently at North Denes

The ones I've managed to confirm over the last couple of days are

G-CHCP
G-CHCV
G-JEZA

I know there is at least 1 other there, if not another 2.

Cheers

Tony

SFIM
1st Aug 2011, 21:46
3 minutes work on G-INFO suggests that G-CHCT is also.

You could have done that

S76driver
1st Aug 2011, 23:47
Is G-CHCW still there too.

SFIM
2nd Aug 2011, 01:07
1 minute work on G-INFO says G-CHCW deregistered to the Netherlands in march 2011 (Den Helder actually)

you could have done that

Jamie-Southend
2nd Aug 2011, 01:23
must try harder :=

linuxyeti
3rd Aug 2011, 08:09
Hi, yes you are right, I could have looked on G-INFO, but G-INFO doesn't actually state that the base is North Denes, and as this was the first time I have been anywhere near North Denes to look I wasn't sure. Also, there is no guarantee, that the additional 1 was a British registered example. I was only asking for confirmation.

Regards

Tony

chevvron
10th May 2012, 16:49
Wasn't it scheduled to close? Safeskys are advertising for ATC staff.

Satcop
10th May 2012, 17:00
It was due to close however CHC had a change of heart and it remains open.

I understand the start date for Safeskys keeps slipping.

TipCap
10th May 2012, 22:44
My first flight at North Denes was on 22nd July 1968 in Ws55s3 G-AOHE

Now that IS a long time ago :ok:

TC

chevvron
11th May 2012, 09:43
In '68 it was still fixed wing too. Re-opening to fixed wing aircraft would surely make it viable. Can't find details in Pooleys and as it's unlicenced, it's not in the AD section of the AIP.
Safeskys are intending to provide ADV/ADI and APP services.

LXGB
12th Dec 2014, 12:57
Sorry to read this today...

North Denes heliport: Future of Great Yarmouth airfield 'in jeopardy' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30429411)

Sir George Cayley
6th May 2015, 18:29
NOTAM issued indefinitely suspending the ATZ.

Does that indicate closure?

SGC

Auster Fan
6th May 2015, 18:37
NOTAM issued indefinitely suspending the ATZ.

Does that indicate closure?

SGC

I hope not but flying there ceased 31 March this year. It would be great to see fixed wing back there again after an absence of about 30-ish years, if only to stop it being built on. It's a great little airfield and has been part of the scenery since the 50s...

Auster Fan
21st Mar 2017, 07:50
It's now up for sale....barring a miracle, the demise of another airfield ��

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/new_future_beckons_for_north_denes_airfield_in_great_yarmout h_as_site_is_put_up_for_sale_1_4939854

Jettiejock
21st Mar 2017, 12:19
I had my first flight there in about 1976, a pleasure flight in a Cessna 172 or 182 with my father and brother. I went on to buy a 172 30 years later!

Whispers in the wind
23rd Jun 2017, 16:48
There seems to be whispers that North Denes has been sold, and money going to be spent to reopen it.
CHC and wind farms mentioned, anyone else heard anything?

CharlieDontSurff
23rd Jun 2017, 18:03
Whispers in the Winds

Oh, do spill! CHC I believe owned North Denes, and has been advertised for sale outside the site since the start of the year. By wind turbines do you mean they are going to be built on the site?

I would love it to remain an airfield, even just a GA one. Right on the coast there for those who wish to venture into Great Yarmouth

Whispers in the wind
24th Jun 2017, 00:32
I've heard supporting the offshore wind farms, present and future ones.
Also been told a CHC aircraft landed there the other day (not confirmed yet), which adds to my curiosity.
The whispers I've heard come from from two separate reliable sources, so make of it as you will

Denesboy
16th Jul 2017, 17:42
A lad I know who currently looks after the site told me the same thing and too keep eyes peeled, as far as I am aware there are no aircraft there at current although last year there was 2 pumas in storage, the site is still sign posted for sale with Roche Surveyors and the Helicopter you think landed there could be G-EMHE Aw109 which of late has been in and out of the Race Course nearby. I do hope something comes of it only a few years back they invested 300k and bought it up to scratch... if only they had that concrete runway hey... for now I'll sit tight and see what happens.

Roundelinred
13th Jun 2022, 19:33
Update... As of today the "for sale" signs have been removed and hangar doors were open for the first time in a long time and tonight found out the airfield has infact been sold, to who nobody knows yet and with the state of the place cant see anything flying from there...

Auster Fan
20th Mar 2023, 22:12
Appears to be in the process of being reopened to rotary and fixed wing traffic, amongst other things…

www.yarmouthheliport.co.uk