PDA

View Full Version : French Officers' Club

betty swallox
20th Sep 2009, 09:51
Has anyone stayed recently at The French Officers' Club in the St Augustin district, Paris? I've found a good thread back in 2001. Any more recent inputs? Good/bad experiences? Any info gratefully received.

Madbob
20th Sep 2009, 10:51
I stayed there with Mrs MB several years ago and would definitely give it a :ok:. It helps a lot if you can speak some French but the location is great and the food was excellent.

Not so excellent though right now is the exchange rate of Euros to the poor old £........

Only source of negative-ness would be possibly traffic noise in your bedroom (with the windows open in the summer) ..... but with sufficient French wine onboard before "lights out" this was not a problem.

I'd happily stay there again.

MB

Union Jack
20th Sep 2009, 11:02
The Cercle Militaire can be found at
8 Place St Augustin
75009 Paris 9eme 0145227150

Although, as MadBob said:

Dailymotion - Eglise St Augustin et Cercle Militaire - une vidéo Expression Libre (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12fqh_eglise-st-augustin-et-cercle-milita_blog) !:)

Jack

idle stop
20th Sep 2009, 14:11
...and there is, of course, reciprocal membership with the RAF Club, though if not a 'duty' visit, probably a Letter of Introduction may be required. (Or is that just for us retired folk?)

(Post number 212: quite a special number for me, as they go...)

High_Expect
20th Sep 2009, 16:19
Mrs H_E and I stayed there this time last year. Its in a great location and can’t be beaten for the price. The rooms weren’t as luxurious as the RAF Club (although larger) and we didn’t use any of the hotel facilities or restaurants so can’t comment. I just called the RAF club and they emailed me a letter of introduction which was required on check in.

There is also an underground car park just around the corner, (about 20 euros for 24hrs) however, if you are staying for just the weekend I think you can actually park right outside in the bays (i didn't realise this until after I was 40 euros lighter. :ugh:

PS. no military discount found anywhere.... bloody French you'd have thought they'd been grateful :E

Enjoy your trip.

VinRouge
20th Sep 2009, 16:22
I emailed them in advance, didnt bother with the Air Force Club and showed them my RAF ID on arrival. Not a problem. was there 3 years ago now, had a cracking time both visits. The little cafe that is on the left as you leave the club does awesome morning crepes and coffee.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
20th Sep 2009, 17:34
Betty,

I can't believe that you are getting even more time off! Don't you have any work to do?

Duncs:ok:

betty swallox
20th Sep 2009, 18:04
Thanks to all! Even Duncs. Just looking for some balance that will even out the debauchery that is spending the evening with you at the UGSAS do.........

skippedonce
20th Sep 2009, 19:46
We stayed there a couple of years ago; I agree with the comments about location, price, and the restaurant, especially if you get a table by a window, has fabulous views of the west front of St.Augustin floodlit at night.

Unfortunately, we were in a broom cupboard (one side of the bed against the wall) and there was a wedding reception/disco on the Saturday night directly below our room playing very loud Euro disco.:yuk:

Y' pays your money and tales y'r chances!

S.O.

NRU74
21st Sep 2009, 05:55
I've stayed many times at the Cercle National, lastly in June this year.It's absolutely fine. The La Petite Carte restaurant at 13 Euro50 for the set menu at lunchtime or evening is very good value indeed as is the Restaurant L'Elite..If you are travelling there via CDG/Roissy at rush hour times I'd advise the RER/No 43 Bus from Gare du Nord as the A1/Bvd Peripherique can be an expensive and very slow ride by taxi.Avoid Sundays as most of Paris closes and the Cercle's bar shuts at,I think,4-30pm
If you want to 'do' the Left Bank you may consider the St Genevieve annex.It's a bit spartan but it's only 76 euros for a double room.No restaurant but they do breakfasts.It's very convenient for Notre Dame,Pantheon,Latin Quarter,Jardin de Luxembourg,Deux Magots etc etc.Presumably you've checked the website -[I'm not sure how to post the link]

betty swallox
21st Sep 2009, 18:30
Just checking...merci beaucoup