PDA

View Full Version : Route Over Angola

Finzolas
18th Sep 2009, 17:15
Hi all,

I am studying a route in 737 over Angola. I have difficulties to find enroute airports to stay within the 60 minutes circles (Not ER approved).

Could you help me or indicate airports around (Namibia? ...) you may use for those considerations?

Thanks for your help!

Finzolas

singpilot
18th Sep 2009, 17:28
Welcome to Africa.

There is a reason that route is not ER approved.

Lots of countries there are circumvented for a reason; usually has to do with politics or uncontrolled airspace. Sometimes has to do with the range of a shoulder fired weapon.

Has a lot to do with the Reg of the aircraft and ability to pay the 'fees' as well.

Have not seen the sunny landscape of Angola for many many years.

divinehover
19th Sep 2009, 05:19
Try and have a look at Lubango, it might be able to take a 737. Have haven't been there for years though. Not sure about fuel.

muduckace
21st Sep 2009, 04:53
Flew into Luanda about 10 years back, we were supposed to fly south over the drink 10 miles out and fly an NDB, no hold to the runway. There was another aircraft just clearing to land and we got to fly around and get a good look-see at the countryside.

ATC screwed the pooch and cleared us to land while the other aircraft was still back-taxying off the rwy.

Hell if nothing less it is a story to tell.

Angola loves to blame the several russian aircraft that exist now in their dirt on mechanical failures.

TWOTBAGS
21st Sep 2009, 05:24
737 capable airports in Angola.

Cabinda, Soyo, Luanda, Catembuela, Luena, Uige, Cahama, Benguela (in a pinch), Huambo, Kuito.

Plenty of places to go for those just in case moments.

Pick your route and use google earth, now most of those places have no lights.... so day time diverts only.

Oh and the Angolans dont mind you landing if its a real emergency....... but expect to have a mile of paperwork to do.

Happiness is V1 out of Luanda :E :}