PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Drawback

Slopey
17th Sep 2009, 16:23
Hi All,

Need a quick bit of advice from the channel hoppers here - thoroughly confused as regards drawback etc, as just done first trip to/from France.

Was at the St Omer fly-in last weekend. We stopped in Southend and filled up before hopping the channel to the fly-in. Flew another 2.5 hrs round France and filled up at St Omer before hopping back to the UK.

So - the question is what can we claim back, if anything?

As far as I understand it, I can complete a drawback form for the fuel purchased at St Omer (200EUR) correct? And there's a specific drawback per litre rather than a percentage of the purchase cost?

Many thanks,
S.

cblinton@blueyonder.
17th Sep 2009, 17:10
You can only claim for the fuel taken out of UK, ie fuel in tanks prior to departure from UK airport.

Current rate is 34.57 pence per litre.

Heres the form http://www.jerseyaeroclub.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,93/Itemid,/

Pace
17th Sep 2009, 17:27
Asking a question again? I have had this from a fairly reliable source. Using Mogas in an aircraft is exempt from certain tax as the fuel is not being used on a public highway?

Anyone else heard of this?

Pace

Slopey
17th Sep 2009, 18:40
Many thanks :)

I guess as we were at full tanks (5 hrs) then used 3 hrs out and about in France before refuelling and coming back, we can only claim for the 3hrs?

Or is it the fuel in the tanks when you depart regardless?

Just to be explicit we had full tanks from Abz, went to Humberside and refulled to full tanks, then a stop at south end where they topped them off before crossing the channel.

Can we claim the whole lot, or the last fuelling before departing the UK?

cblinton@blueyonder.
17th Sep 2009, 19:02
you can claim the full tanks quantity on your departure from UK.

garrygaz
17th Sep 2009, 19:07
Hi,

you can claim the duty on the entire contents you exported from Southend, the fuel company at Southend should have already deducted the VAT. Signature at Aberdeen have the drawback forms and the address to send them to. Speak to Brian at Signature if you need help.

GG

Slopey
17th Sep 2009, 20:52
Excellent - many thanks all :)

Talkdownman
17th Sep 2009, 21:25
Claiming Drawback (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000203)

Rates of Drawback (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2009/bn66.pdf)

hatzflyer
18th Sep 2009, 07:43
Slopey what a/c were you in? Brilliant fly-in.
You have all the answers on here for your question, but if you still need help pm me and I'll phone you and guide you through the paperwork and explain a couple of gotcha's.

Slopey
18th Sep 2009, 09:35
Hi Hatz,

we were in G-BEZV, a C172 (white & green)

http://www.slopey.com/stomer/17.JPG

Great fun fly in - met loads of interesting people from all over the place.

hatzflyer
18th Sep 2009, 09:47
My favourite ! we were the funny hat brigade.

Slopey
18th Sep 2009, 10:00
Ah ha!!! You guys seemed to have a pretty good time - didn't quite get the chance to say hello - we were caught up chatting to the locals (who are all thoroughly nice people).

Next year, I'm taking ma kilt!

Great fly-in - much recommended.

hatzflyer
18th Sep 2009, 10:56
We were celebrating my son becoming national gliding champion!
The locals are THE BEST!

IO540
18th Sep 2009, 11:04
you can claim the full tanks quantity on your departure from UK.

You can claim only the fuel exported in the tank, and then only the portion of it which has not been subject to a previous claim (obviously).

This kind of thing can get tricky with those syndicates in which an individual is allowed to pocket the duty drawback. What happens is that this chap fills up the tanks (obviously) and flies from Lydd to Le Touquet, and claims back say £100. He returns with a nearly full tank but that fuel is "blighted" because nobody can claim drawback on it on foreign trips, until it is all used up. When I used to rent out my plane, I had exactly this done by one chap (an instructor, perhaps unsuprisingly) and then I had to set a rule that drawbacks will be done by the company and not renters.

Slopey
18th Sep 2009, 11:07
We were celebrating my son becoming national gliding champion!

Hence the polystyrene gliders then! Congrats to him!

Jizkid
23rd Sep 2009, 22:51
Several years since I last claimed and I'm a bit confused.

Lets say drawback hasn't been claimned on a syndicate aircraft for months.

Aircraft is full, say 200 litres and syndicate member flies for an hour within UK and uses 50 litres. The aircraft is refuelled back to full.

I now take aircraft abroad, can I claim drawback on 200 litres or just the 50 that has been refuelled since last flight?

I'm sure before I used to claim for the full 200 litres but on the form the fuel under "Details of UK inland flights before outward clearance" seems to be exempt drawback.

If I can claim for the 200 litres do I have to show refuel receipts for 200 litres or just the last refuel of 50 litres?

hatzflyer
24th Sep 2009, 07:19
By law you don't have to provide receipts. I had this one on a recent "bounce" by customs. I buy fuel every week because I run on mogas and can't drive the plane to the pumps.
They were not happy because I supplied a hand written receipt for the total , they wanted lots of little receipts, but when pressed on the point admitted that they are not a legal requirement, so now I don't provide any at all and they are quite happy.
They were worried that I was buying petrol for the car and flying abroad on avgas, but claiming the drawback on mogas because it is more.
Having proved that my car was diesel, my plane was cleared for mogas and asking them the following question, " what would you do in my situation, pay more for avgas and get less back,or operate on mogas and effectively get a free trip ?" they conceeded that they(there was two of them,good cop-bad cop) would do the same.
As to quantity the same logic applied.." why wouldn't I go out full ? more safety and more drawback ! "
Never had a moments trouble since, and in fairness to them they were polite and sensible, but said " most people should expect a visit every 7 years or so if we have the time to do so ".

Jizkid
24th Sep 2009, 09:11
Just to let people know, the address to send completed forms has changed:-

HMRC Mineral Oil Relief Centre
BP4002
Benton Park View
Longbenton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Kolibear
31st May 2010, 20:24
The HO60 form has also been revised and is available here:- HO60 (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_Forms&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD1_030247)

The current drawback rates (March 2010) are available here:- Rates (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2010/bn58.htm)

gyrotyro
31st May 2010, 20:37
You can also claim drawback on MOGAS. Keep your garage receipts and check the rate of duty on the HMRC web site.

You can only claim for fuel taken on board since the last entry into the UK up to the maximum qty. in the tanks.

Fuel uploaded in France is not eligible.

It's no big deal.