View Full Version : (Very) Old Quicken.

forget
17th Sep 2009, 14:50
I’ve been using a version of Quicken Accounts, De-Luxe Business Pack, since 1994. I say again – 1994. I love it – it does everything I’ll ever need. It comes on three floppies which say ‘Microsoft Windows 3.1 Recommended’. When installing, it asks you, after Disc 1, to load Disc 2 then Disc 3. It works fine with XP but what can I do if I switch to Vista. Can I put the three floppies on a CD (no floppy drive) and manually tell it to look for Disc 1, 2 then 3. If Quicken still sold this I’d gladly buy again – but they don’t.

Keef
17th Sep 2009, 16:10
Or borrow a USB floppy drive.

forget
17th Sep 2009, 16:37
Thanks, but the drives aren't the issue. I've tried putting the three floppies onto a CD. The problem is (?) that the floppies ask you to install one after the other, in sequence. With everything on a CD I lose this automated sequence - so no installation.

Ooops - I see what you mean now. :hmm:

frostbite
17th Sep 2009, 16:38
Same here. Using Quicken 2, bought in 1995.

I've had later versions but preferred Q2 every time. I also have Quickbooks for W3.1/95 but have no need of it now.

Lancelot37
17th Sep 2009, 17:00
Quicken for Home Accounts is available in the U.S and Australia but it is not compatable with early files so you can't load your past finances into it.

I've tried free sample versions but I had to start from "now" with my accounts.
I'm hoping that I get the old U.K version 2004 to work with Windows 7.

Keef
17th Sep 2009, 19:01
I've installed prehistoric stuff using my USB floppy drive. I think I paid about £10 for it on Ebay. It's a useful bit of kit, every once in a while. I can even boot the laptop from it!

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2009, 19:53
I have had occasion to use a virtual floppy disk drive for similar purpose - software key on a floppy (only) for a server with no floppy drive.

I didn't have access at short notice to a USB or parallel port fdd, so for speed I went virtual - I can't remember now what I used. It worked, though.

Google "virtual floppy disk".

On a slight tangent, I've also used virtual CD drives at home - very good for those pesky kids' games that insist on having themselves in the drive to play the game. I could mount 20 of the damn things simultaneously, so rarely had 4-year-olds needing to operate the physical CD drives! Saved a few accidents and CDs, I'm sure.

SD