PDA

View Full Version : CTC Cadets

sleggy
17th Sep 2009, 11:06
hi guys, i have just passed selection for the CTC wing cadet programme and could do with some some help in regards to insurance and what to do with the gap between selection and training

all advice welcome

ty :)

kwb911
17th Sep 2009, 19:08
CTC will send you an info pack with all the details regarding you contract, visa and insurance etc.

As for the second question get a job so you can save up ready to start paying the loan back.

jordanpolonijo
17th Sep 2009, 21:31
Your fortunate to be able to secure a loan. Presuming you took a secured loan?

waco
18th Sep 2009, 02:03
.What about the gap between completing training and finding work. Thats going to be a few years ?

TheBeak
18th Sep 2009, 05:35
Yeah but that is an inconvenient truth Waco, forget about that.

kwb911
18th Sep 2009, 12:20
To be fair the guy did not say he had a loan. Maybe he already has the cash for the training. I used the get a job as i thought it was daft question to ask what he should do between now and starting the course.

sleggy
18th Sep 2009, 13:41
ur ryt i didn't. lucky for me my parents are supplying the 'bond'. I know that ctc will provide me with a company they recomend but i want to know if there is cheaper alternatives... gonna need to be tight for a year i think

Jamer
24th Sep 2009, 22:04
Hey Sleggy,

Congrats on the selection. Just wanted to do something for you which I wish i had during my early stages to put your mind at rest. CTC is great. You will love it, you will get awesome training and you will get a job. Just ignore all the pr*cks out there who will try and put a downer on CTC. I am in NZ at the mo. (actually revising for my second set of ATPLs this morning) and the course is excellent. Passed my CPL skills test a couple of weeks ago and now in the IR phase. wracked up 140hrs in under a year and the course delivery is good now inspite of what people may think.

People will tell you that CTC's partner airlines are not recruiting but no-one says anything about not chatting to other companies plus there was a major international airline in the training centre the other day. Not sure if I should say who but think A380.

Anyway congrats again mate, might see you out here soon!

Jamer

akindofmagic
26th Sep 2009, 11:32
Absolutely. You will definitely be flying the A380 for a major airline within days of completing your AQC at Dibbers. The holding pool is just a myth. People from the CP40s are not sitting at home without a flying job and no realistic prospect of getting one in the near future. The market is buoyant and there is a global pilot shortage. There has never been a better time to start training.

I despair.

TheBeak
26th Sep 2009, 11:51
Jamer, you have a lot to learn. You think you know but you don't. akindofmagic is sarcastically pointing alot nearer the truth.

I too despair. People that say these things have to be the 'trolls' that people talk about - there isn't a chance you can mean what you say.

Ollie23
26th Sep 2009, 19:34
People will tell you that CTC's partner airlines are not recruiting but no-one says anything about not chatting to other companies plus there was a major international airline in the training centre the other day. Not sure if I should say who but think A380.

Although i'd go along with the bit about course delivery, I think Jamer is living on a different planet to everyone else. Sad but true.

Zippy Monster
26th Sep 2009, 19:51
I should hope the course delivery is good, considering a) the cost and b) the time they have had to rectify the niggles that past courses have consistently had. That should be a given, not an achievement. I haven't seen any posts on here that would suggest that the Wings course is bad, or have been 'putting a downer on CTC'. The company is undoubtedly professional, proud of its image and the Wings Cadet course is very good. I think the problem stems from two areas: one, the fact that people are still mortgaging their parents' houses to train for a job where, currently, the prospects for getting a job within a reasonable timeframe are doubtful at best; and two, the PR department at CTC which, if the consistently strong course numbers suggest, convinces starry-eyed wannabes otherwise.

People will tell you that CTC's partner airlines are not recruiting but no-one says anything about not chatting to other companies plus there was a major international airline in the training centre the other day. Not sure if I should say who but think A380.Truly the words of a man (or woman) suckered by the aforementioned PR machine. Enjoy NZ, Jamer, but be prepared for a lot of stress and frustration when you return and realise the numbers on those forms you signed actually have some meaning.

GearDownFlaps
26th Sep 2009, 21:01
Jamer maybe Ive got this wrong youve yet to finish your atpls but have passed your cpl ??? is this right , and yeh you will get a job flying A380s FSx is great

Wing_Bound_Vortex
26th Sep 2009, 22:10
Jamer, congrats on the CPL skills test, keep up the hard work. Believe me many people on here know exactly what it's like and are a lot further through the system that you, to the point of being in the hold pool or flying with the airlines. So please be careful about the statements you make like "you will get a job". Define job exactly? Temporary or permanent contract? Who knows.

Who knows who will be recruiting any time soon. How do you afford to pay off your bond when you aren't earning enough on your temp contract to do that and live? It's the harsh reality of the situation that all you guys are in. Don't be too suckered in by the spin, yes CTC are a good training provider, I loved my time in NZ and the UK, they train you well, but the days of them sorting you out that dream job once you finish the aqc are long gone. They talk the talk....but....

The hold pool is large and growing, airlines are retrenching and making people redundant. As stated by others guys from the cp40's haven't even got jobs yet, what CP might you be? You need to plan your finances for the long wait after training, and at some point (and it comes around very quickly) the bank comes calling for their money back. Repayments of about £1300 a month sound familiar?
It isn't a good time to be starting training now, that's many peoples honest opinion, and the only reason people tell it on here is to stop new guys and girls making a very expensive and life changing mistake, when they don't have to! So people aren't putting a downer on CTC, they're just telling you the reality without the sugar coating, we've been there before you.

Sleggy, if you've got the money situation covered pre and post CTC then that's fine and it's up to you to decide if it's a good time to start training. You're parents will be in for a long wait for you to pay them the money back though, as long as you're happy with that. If you haven't got it sorted, then stop and think how you're going to afford £1300 a month repayments in a non flying job, plus your living costs on top of that. Make sure you're protected.

Regards WBV

R T Jones
28th Sep 2009, 07:19
Anyone considering commercial flying training at the moment should read what these guys are saying and listen! I started end of 2007 just after Northern Rock went under and having now finished I am fearing a rather long wait for a job. Just deferred my loan for 6 months, have to see what happens after that. As has been said, if you can afford the repayments and are able to live after training for a term in perhaps years as opposed to months, then do it. If you have to secure a loan against anyone's house then you must be more confident than I am about job prospects in the short to medium term. Righty well I'm off for my 12 hour shift in a bowling alley, happy flying :)