PDA

View Full Version : Commercial license

Fin000
17th Sep 2009, 10:55
Hi all,
I have just completed my PPL in Australia and soon hope to go on to my commercial. Eventually I would love to get into an airline but i'm also looking forward to working in GA building up hours if I can get a job. I would love to hear some feedback on what you think is the best way to get my CPL, MECIR, turbine rating and so on... I have been looking at Uni courses such as the Swinburne aviation degree which would be on HECs an FEE help, going straight through a flying school or try to get into the airforce.
thanks for your help.

ReverseFlight
17th Sep 2009, 14:01
Well done on gaining your PPL.

If cost is the primary issue, then the Forces will train you at their cost. However the rate of attrition is high, and the Forces is not for everyone. Actually all the guys I know who were trained by the Forces started with them rather than do their own training first.

By all means go to Swinburne with fee help, as you sound as if you may not be able to pay for the whole thing up to CPL/MECIR. The progress is slower than going straight through flight school, but flight school is the least attractive option economically.

If you need more info about Swinburne, search the DG&P forums.

Fin000
17th Sep 2009, 21:20
thanks for your reply. If you take out the issue of cost of all of the options, what would you think is the best way to go?

tmpffisch
18th Sep 2009, 00:07
If you go to a flying school instead of a uni, you can have your CPL & MECIR in 3-4 months with a bit of hard work. If you go to a uni, it'll be a couple of years I think.

Whether you pay now (flying school) or pay later (uni), you'll have to pay either way. Uni WILL however cost you more, but your theory knowledge on human factors, airline management and operations, CRM etc will be stronger, but unlikely to secure your first few jobs.

Airforce is a very good option.

ReverseFlight
27th Sep 2009, 13:11
Airforce is a very good option.
True. I have observed that military pilots are far better trained than their civilian counterparts.

Rumour has it that Fee-Help is going to be extended to flight school training soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

Seabreeze
21st Oct 2009, 10:46
So where did you source the rumour for the Fee help to be given to all CPL training providers; Got a contact in AA's office?