PDA

View Full Version : New Direction

VTA
16th Sep 2009, 09:01
General question here that has probably been asked before... If you were to stop flying tomorrow whether by choice or otherwise, what new career would you pursue ??? Aviation advisor ??? Own company ???...

Piano player in a cat house would be nice but, sensible answers are more appreciated...

Cheers, VTA

VeeAny
16th Sep 2009, 09:50
Back to writing software, which is what I do when flying is quiet.

Can't play a piano unfortunately.

Camp Freddie
16th Sep 2009, 10:07
I fancy riding around in the white vans and raiding places as part of the UK border force, looks fun :) haha

CF

Whirlygig
16th Sep 2009, 11:10
I'd end up playing the banjo in the dog house. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls

heliski22
16th Sep 2009, 11:19
On the basis that my fiddle playing isn't up to either a cathouse or a doghouse and as my only other "professional" qualification is to be a truck driver, I'm afraid it'd be "On The Road Again" for me!

thechopper
16th Sep 2009, 12:53
Picked up a job as a sim instructor after loosing my medical.:{

Pandalet
16th Sep 2009, 13:43
Second banjo in the doghouse, absolutely.

heliski22
16th Sep 2009, 13:52
thechopper

Hadn't thought of that - did it work out ok?

tbc
16th Sep 2009, 19:13
A "fluffer" in the movie business!!

Whirlygig
16th Sep 2009, 19:23
tbc, you do know what a fluffer actually does, don't you? :eek:

Cheers

Whirls

tbc
16th Sep 2009, 19:34
Fluffs things.:8

Whirlygig
16th Sep 2009, 19:44
"Wood", to be precise :}

Cheers

Whirls

handysnaks
16th Sep 2009, 20:03
Whirls, tbc is a man of the world and has completed much research in the 'fluffers' industry. I believe he has the full collection of Wangito the Mexican Wonder Donkey videos!!:p

Whirlygig
16th Sep 2009, 20:09
I make no comment on tbc's proclivities therefore :p but I've not heard of ladies requiring fluffing :\

Cheers

Whirls

Brilliant Stuff
16th Sep 2009, 20:57
Testdriver for MB if they will have me

or Barman

fluffy5
17th Sep 2009, 01:33
Did someone mention FLUFFING :E

RVDT
17th Sep 2009, 05:33
There are a few choices! (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fluffing)

HOGE
17th Sep 2009, 08:40
Fluffing would involve nude erections, as opposed to New Directions...

tbc
17th Sep 2009, 10:04
There's Fluffing and then there is "FLUFFING":E

heliski22
17th Sep 2009, 13:56
There's Fluffing and then there is "FLUFFING"

Forgive my ignorance but the difference is what, precisely?

airborne_artist
17th Sep 2009, 15:18
Worth noting that New Directions is the title of a publication for those wishing to meet like-minded types for no-commitment sexual encounters :E

britinusa
17th Sep 2009, 17:29
I have just lost my med cat, and I would very interested in the replies to this thread. I see "the chopper", went on to work in the simulator, with my 30 year military SAR background in the UK, is there any jobs on the civy side, and what qualifications do you need?

Thanks

inmate
17th Sep 2009, 17:41
Having been away from the old sod for a number of years I would only be guessing but here goes:

Military/Civillian Sim trainer in any number of ME countries.

Same job closer to home.

Operations

CAA including Accident Investigation

Subscription to Flight International ? (yes I know it has a new name just cant think of it)

Network your old peers

Anyway the best of luck to you. It hasn't happened to me yet but I see it around the corner.

unstable load
18th Sep 2009, 19:50
I wouldn't mind getting into the ROV side of things. My skillset as an AME should stand me in good stead there.

Now all I need is someone to offer me the job.............

tbc
19th Sep 2009, 09:00
Shanksy - you know me too well!!

Can I have those videos back now?

Burr Styers
19th Sep 2009, 12:49
Had to take medical retirement a few years back.

Moved into Flight Ops Quality, (Qualified as an auditor) then Flight Safety. Worked on quite a few different projects including SMS.

Been with present employer 4 years. If you had other skills before you went flying, might be worth falling back on those. If you have to take a desk job (for whatever reason) and you have had a predominantly aviation working life, then stick close to that. It is the subject you know best, and you will have transferable skills into management. Before going it alone, it is probably best to get some company experience. If you know anybody in any aviation safety dept, in any company, then go and have a chat with them, see what the job entails. I am sure they will give you an idea. Flight safety is partly what you bring to the position, partly how you are connected (or who you could connect to) and do you have an empathy for people.(Diplomatic skills needed)

Like many jobs it has plenty of responsibillity and a degree of authority. It will appeal to those with a problem solving and creative mind. It can be tedious in places, but it will be very rewarding.

Remember that "safety" is not something you have.........its what you do

Books on my bookshelf......Anything by Sidney Dekker, and right now, "The ETTO Principle" by Prof Hollnagel - fascinating stuff.

BS

britinusa
19th Sep 2009, 12:53
Inmate,
Thanks for that. I pretty much have been looking at the same.

I am sure I will get a aviation, and even SAR related job, or I suppose I could just retire.

Thanks again

BRITINUSA

chequePilot
19th Sep 2009, 18:17
I walked away from flying after 17 years on medium twins offshore and got into HUET and eventually opened an OPITO centre . Now doing a degree in Security and Risk Management.

There are times when I would prefer to smell Jet A1 fumes than a cup of Folgers!

But I called "LDP" and there's no "overshoot" I'm afraid !:= :cool: