PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand Helmet wanted.

Runaway Gun
15th Sep 2009, 22:10
A civvy flying mate has done me a favour, and requested a bit of Aviation History in return, to brighten up his office. Specifically, an old RAF Flying Helmet. The Mk 4 looks like a desirable version. Which is much more achievable than a polished Spitfire prop !!

I've searched online however all I can find is reconditioned ones outfitted with new avionics, which are a bit out of my price range. Ebay just offers me USA versions, and dodgy 'Genuine Russian Top Gun' dodgy deals...

Can anybody recommend a more affordable option? It would NOT be used for flying, so I'm not concerned with it's airworthiness or structural integrity. Just as long as it looks relatively complete.

Many thanks, RG.

Talk Reaction
16th Sep 2009, 20:24
I seem to recall someone getting court martialled for putting a spare helmet on ebay..... I think you may struggle to find one.

Shame really, that if there is a demand for old flying kit and other items of interest that some senior jobby doesn't make a case for not just scrapping all this kit but selling some of it, at a nominal cost and with whatever H&S 'not for use' provisos etc, and put the money into new kit/ benevolent fund/ help for heros.....

Given this recyclable to cash potential I think we owe it to the public to be as efficient as possible.....

SirToppamHat
16th Sep 2009, 21:12
Yes, someone at Valley who found he no longer needed the Mk4 and tried to hand it back to the Squippers. When they refused to take it, he decided to sell it on EBay. No one told him he'd need it for NVGs later in his service. Almost cost him his career.

ISTR the RAFP had (has?) a small team monitoring EBay for just this sort of thing and EBay just handed over the details (the individual had an address in Mona!).

Back to the thread; the Defence Disposals Services Agency/Authority exists for just this type of disposal. See here amongst other places:

Disposal Services Authority (http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start)

STH

Runaway Gun
16th Sep 2009, 21:38
I don't want anything illegal. Just want to know who sells the stuff commercially. Mart aviation does, however I don't want to pay for high quality equipment suitable for flying with - just a desk piece suitable for gathering dust.

621andy
20th Sep 2009, 09:54
Fully Reconditioned MK.4A Pilots Flying Helmet on eBay (end time 21-Sep-09 22:05:04 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fully-Reconditioned-MK-4A-Pilots-Flying-Helmet_W0QQitemZ200384068926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CPV_Aviati on_SM?hash=item2ea7d23d3e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)