PDA

View Full Version : Sea Harrier Flying Display - 2009

seafuryfan
15th Sep 2009, 21:27
Art Nalls looks as if he's ironed out teething troubles with this display. Nice tail mounted cam..

YouTube - Harrier Langley 2009 edit for DVD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0roV1yql_D0&feature=response_watch)

TEEEJ
15th Sep 2009, 21:49
That was great. Thanks for posting! It is a great touch with the tail mounted camera. :ok:

TJ

The B Word
15th Sep 2009, 22:02
What's that Boom Mic all about!!! I only once took a low-flying bird into the cockpit and I was really pleased to be wearing an Oxygen Mask...

doubledolphins
16th Sep 2009, 19:07
I had a low-flying bird in the rear hold once. Didn't need oxygen because we were below FL100 :ok:

jimgriff
17th Sep 2009, 09:24
Interesting to see that he has changed the seat from the "usual" Martin Baker one to a seat of American Manufacture. (looks like a Stencel)
I wonder if that design change caused lots of probs?

TEEEJ
17th Sep 2009, 09:59
Hi Jim,

The US ejection seat was used in the AV-8 series (Harrier I & II).

TJ

skydiver69
17th Sep 2009, 11:39
...and Martin Baker wouldn't offer him any help and support with the original seat.

sandiego89
17th Sep 2009, 11:42
He wanted the Martin Baker seat, but it seems the company would not support it due to liability concerns. Real shame as there are real concerns with the Stencil seat causing injury or worse if used. American legal system at it's best.

jimgriff
17th Sep 2009, 12:53
The AV-8B is a VERY different bird to the SHAR! I'm supprised that MBA didnt have in place support for the original fit seat as they have protocols for supporting all other ejection seats in civilian hands.
Maybe it was the fact it was only for use in the US of A and the litigation trail that would inevitably follow any ejection by a civilian- Hey! what the heck do I know?:confused:
Good to see it flying though.

norfolkandchance
17th Sep 2009, 13:26
Very nice bloke we have just sold 4 of our Harrier 40th prints to him. feel free to have a look at www.homeoftheharrier.com (http://www.homeoftheharrier.com) they are selling well and will be a collectable item in the future.

IIRC he bid more money for all of the SHAR spares than the indian navy and the Thai's and got all the remaining stock of Sea Harrier stuff that was at VL and in the stores system

DWB Esq
17th Sep 2009, 15:20
I grew up in Ilchester watching these fly overhead every day. Aswell as catching sight of the Indian Navy aircraft down in Goa, which was a nice surprise when getting off the Airbus which took me there, it's personally cheering to know Art is flying and displaying his SHAR.

John Farley
17th Sep 2009, 17:13
The Stencil seat was standard fit to the AV-8A as well as the AV-8B series.

I flew it a lot in the US and it was only dangerous if you ejected close to the mode changeover speed (about 220kt) when if you went out at say 240kt but it operated in the low speed mode for some reason then the very sudden ballistic chute deployment using an explosive spreader device (so good at low speeds and heights) could yank your neck to the point of breaking it.

IAM would never certificate the seat for UK use because of this and so we were required by the ministry to slave MB seats into the US aircraft for initial prod tests at Dunsfold using an adaptor kit.

I told John Foz I did not mind the hazard so later when Foz was asked to send a pilot to the US to fly a Stencil (under US rules) off I went. I was met at St Louis by a rep who said come with me and I will cure your jet lag. He took me to a pool that advertised it was 10ft deep at one end and 2.5 at the other. He was doing facy stuff off the spring board so I elected to do a plunge dive with my hands by my side (as was my want) for once I got it vertical but did not get my feet wet as the deep end was in fact 5ft with a 10ft hole only in front of the spring board. I broke my neck and was shipped back the next day - much to the amusement of the Misery. Another pilot was sent out and told to go straight to his hotel room and stay there until Macair said the aircraft was ready. The aircraft kept slipping so he got bored and went swimming in the hotel pool. Doing backstroke lengths he got one wrong and collided with the end with his head. He emerged with double vision. He did not dare to tell base and fortunately it went away a couple of days later before the aircraft was ready. Happy days.

Proof Reader
19th Sep 2009, 14:34
Seafuryfan
Thank you for posting that vid. What a total pleasure it was to watch. Thank goodness for people like Mr Nails.

John Farley
19th Sep 2009, 14:45
Proof Reader

I could not agree more with your comments however Art's surname is Nalls......tricky stuff this reading - at least at the higher levels of proof.

Proof Reader
19th Sep 2009, 15:29
Sorry, folks and my apologies, Mr NALLS!

Didn't have the right glasses - that's probably why I thought John had put on weight.

John Farley
19th Sep 2009, 15:35
Wot me the racing snake of West Sussex put on weight? No way. A fwd CG in the hover is very bad news 'cos it causes a continuous bleed from the front puffer which means more engine counts. OUT.