PDA

View Full Version : Leave Wootton Bassett alone

taxydual
15th Sep 2009, 20:25
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Wiltshire | Queen asked to make town 'Royal' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8257468.stm)

Agreed that the people of Wootton Bassett initially made, and continue to do so, a most dignified and heartfelt gesture. Of which, I'm certain, the majority of PPRuNers will be for ever grateful.

Then the media circus landed.

Would the people of Wootton Bassett want this?

Thanks MODs. You know what I mean.

The B Word
15th Sep 2009, 20:34
Only Royal Tunbridge Wells and Royal Leamington Spa?

What about Royal Ascot? :}

vernon99
15th Sep 2009, 21:33
Well the Armed Forces said thank you last year with a gathering of Musicians, and a small flypast, they even managed to provide some sunshine!
If the town was to be renamed, it would only be done because some politician can score brownie points from it. That is IMO distasteful and for that reason "I'm out".
As for the media attention, it is a blessing and a curse. It is good that they report what is happening, not a lot of people were aware of the numbers of dead soldiers. IMO deaths/repatriation stories should be 1st item on news, and not a "by the way" at the end.
The bad side, is the way the media try and take over the high street, I still don't understand why they can't send one film crew and share the footage(with a note saying so) Also whilst I appreciate the need to report/take photographs, I really do not like the fact that as everyone stands silent paying their respects as the cortage halts at the war memorial all you can hear is the shutters on dozens of cameras, as the paparazzi get their shots, again why not send one or two photographers and share the pictures.

Rant over.........:O

Jabba_TG12
16th Sep 2009, 06:48
I've not been there to any of the repatriations because I've got no business going there. I find myself saddened by the losses, but they're not mine directly. What the townsfolk are doing there though is something that shows that treating the fallen with respect and dignity is not a relic from a bygone age and that there is still a profound sense of decency and doing what is right in England. You just have to look more carefully for it these days.

As something that was started by the local branch of the Legion, I find it discomforting that those who have no direct connection (ie the media) should intrude on these (I cant think of a better word, sorry) events. Whilst yes, the population should be aware of what is going on and yes, they should realise that there is a real price being paid by real men and women who are serving, wouldnt it/shouldnt it be possible to exclude the media from the area around the route of the cortege through the village? A cordon at either end of the High St? Probably still have others turning up with cameraphones though... :sad:

Also, another thing that has struck me, whilst on that subject.. since the death of the Princess Of Wales, there seems to be a morbid, almost "tourist" kind of mentality pervading; I can understand maybe, current service personnel, particularly those who have been in the front line for Herrick and Telic turning up on the day thinking "there but for the grace of God", etc and paying their respects - but - I dont think that this is something the residents of the village would want. I dont think they ever figured that this would catch the imagination of the wider public.

The other thing is... Lyneham is going to close soon. What happens then to Royal Wootton Bassett? Is the same media circus going to descend on Brize? Would the people of Carterton feel the same way?

I dont think theres any easy answer and I think I understand the motivation of the person who suggested it. I'm sure his intentions were good and heartfelt.

But those of us not directly involved, I think should maybe keep our beaks out of how the village chooses to pay its respects. I'm just glad that it does and I admire them for it.

Tiger_mate
16th Sep 2009, 07:22
My understanding is that Carterton Parish Council have stated that they will not replicate W-B.

There are several elements to the debate here, but IMHO if you set aside the media intrusion and focus on the name, my view is:

Decades down the road if not centuries, Lyneham will be tumbleweed tastic or an industrial estate and W-B will have reverted to the sleepy Wiltshire town that it once was. I personally feel that recognition of its unending attitude to the fallen of today should be rewarded, and that if this makes the population of tomorrow ask "Why is it so?" then that would make it all the more worthwhile.

Al R
16th Sep 2009, 07:32
Mr Thomas said: "They're doing a fantastic job and should be rewarded."

I don't know what part of that saddens me more. The fact its now seen as a job or the fact that everything nowadays needs rewarding.

vernon99
16th Sep 2009, 09:06
I do not think those that attend consider it a job, yes they consider it important to pay respects, but no it isn't a job(you can see that quite clearly as they will assemble in advance, and there is never a grumble about how long is it going to be etc). Also it isn't just Wootton Bassett there are plenty of old soldiers from towns in the surrounding area.
As for the media, intrusion, a few weeks ago they tried to film with a helicopter, I think they managed once, but there was too much intrusion, and it did annoy a lot of people, myself included. I believe the next time they tried, they were denied permission, I haven't seen it back since.
I understand that once Lyneham etc has gone that future generations will not know what went on, I guess renaming the town would be one way to remember, but maybe there are better ways?

barnstormer1968
16th Sep 2009, 12:55
I like the idea of the town being re named in honour of how dignified and
respectful the towns people have been. I would suspect that many of the gathered
crowds are paying respects, or showing gratitude/loyalty to the fallen and not
directly to the monarchy or government (I think that last bit hardly needed
saying:})

I am not keen though on the town having to become 'royal' or anything similar,
and am reminded of 'Enham Alamein' near Andover, a small village where in
past years I often provided part of a guard of honour for remembrance
ceremonies. I felt very proud to parade there in No2 (army) uniform, and felt the
whole village took on a different aspect due to it's name.

Al R
17th Sep 2009, 14:49
Already approved?

BBC NEWS | UK | Soldiers' bodies are flown home (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8260330.stm)

Meanwhile, the Queen has recommended the Wiltshire town of Wooton Bassett, through which dead soldiers are driven after being flown home, should be given a royal prefix to mark the town's loyal tradition of honouring fallen servicemen.

'Wooton'?

It'd be nice if the BBC could spell it right, and not just clutter up the place.

Captain Airclues
17th Sep 2009, 19:08
Sir

We who represent the people of the town of Wootton Bassett, are honoured and humbled that the way we have paid our respects to our fallen soldiers in every weather and for upwards of two years now has touched people in the way it has, and that in a way we stand proxy for the grief of the nation.

But we are simply the ordinary people of a very special town standing still and quiet for a few moments in a mark of sorrow and gratitude for those who have given their lives in service of the Nation. We welcome people from all over the country who come to join us, and we are proud that the national media has broadcast our moment's stillness to the world, although we'd be grateful for slightly less intrusive media coverage in the future. We welcome visiting generals and senior politicians, if they would like to come, and simply mingle with the crowds. But we'd prefer no pomp, nor militarization. It’s the people of the town; no more nor less than that.

What’s more, as a town, we'd much prefer that there was no further discussion of any recognition for what we do, or at least certainly not until its all over and that happy day has arrived when there are to be no more of these "repatriations." We really do NOT want to be "Royal Wootton Bassett", nor be awarded the GC, nor rename our High Street in any way at all. It’s not about us. Its about our fallen brothers and sisters, husbands and friends. The power and pathos of the occasion is its simplicity; its peace and quiet in an angry world. And we, the people of Wootton Bassett, want it to stay exactly like that.

Yours

James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire (07831 552 529)
Steve Bucknell, Mayor of Wootton Bassett
Maurice Baker, President, Wootton Bassett Royal British Legion
Chris Wannell, Leader, Wootton Bassett Town Council

Perhaps we should respect their wishes.

Dave

(Able to sleep soundly again as son returned from six months on Op Herrick last week)

Warmtoast
17th Sep 2009, 21:33
Sadly the days when we bit the upper lip and saluted/doffed our headgear in respect of the dead are no more, but like Topsy the Wootton Bassett experience has grown and grown from its initial beginnings when a funeral cortege just happened to go down the High Street as the local branch of the British Legion were rehearsing, to what happens today.

Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between a genuine outpouring of emotion and respect and a sort of ghoulish theme park experience attracting visitors to participate in what has turned out to be flower-chucking, Diana-inspired media circus - as we see on the telly each time a C-17 returns the fallen to Lyneham and the cortege slows down to walking pace as it passes through WB.

Personally and being ex-RAF, I hate overt signs of grief.

As Voltaire said:
"We owe respect to the living; to the dead we owe only truth."

mr ripley
18th Sep 2009, 10:04
Rather than messing about with names, how about just keep Lyneham open in one form or another. That would be apt.