PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Malaysia?

moevydotnet
15th Sep 2009, 14:54
Hi @ all,
I read anythink about the uk caa and malaysia.

I couldnt find andything about it. Can I make the CAA UK PPL(A) in malaysia?
Or can I only do the CPL in Malaysia?

Cheers Michael

whiskey1
16th Sep 2009, 05:35
Don't do it.
Don't even think about training in Malaysia.
It will take longer and cost more than quoted. Much longer and much more.
While there are a few good people in the region it is not organised.
Not approved by UK CAA for anything.

List of approved providers here: Standards Document 31 version 96: Organisations Conducting CAA and JAR-FCL Approved Courses of Flight and Ground Training | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2854)

CAA International provides exams there. Under the old system the exam were "Not Valid for the issue of a UK Licence". Had a lot to do with exam security (Or lack there of).

moevydotnet
16th Sep 2009, 05:53
Thanks for your answer,
itsnot for me I still hold a uk cpl.

A friend of mine, he lives and is working in malaysia. He will come back to germany in 2 years. The thing is he wants to make the ppl but there is no point to do the malaysian ppl because he wants to come back anyway.

I think he has to do the jaa ppl in europe ;(

Captain Stravaigin
16th Sep 2009, 05:55
It is not possible to do a JAA PPL in Malaysia as yet. A few schools have looked at the idea I believe - but the cost has put them off.

It is possible to do a DCA PPL in Malaysia - but this is messy, complicated and bureaucratic. With a JAA PPL it is possible to convert to a MY Licence by sitting two theory exams (Air Law and Human Factors) and then doing the Flight Test. So if you live in MY this may be the best way to go about it.

A JAA licence is always going to be more useful than a MY one - but I guess it is possible to convert a MY licence to a JAA one if you want to.

A lot depends on where you live - and also where you plan to do most of your flying in future.

I know a bit about some of the FTOs in MY so if you have any more specific questions let me know.

Gute Reise !

Captain Stravaigin
16th Sep 2009, 06:01
Just seen your reply.

Flying in Malaysia is gud fun, there are some interesting places to go to - Penang, the Islands of Pangkor and my favourite Tioman.:ok:

The experience of flying here would be something not many get the chance to do. It is also very very cheap.

So if your friend wants to see if flying is really for him then he should give it a try. I agree getting a MY licence may be a bit of a waste of time. But the Ground School exams are very much JAA based so time spent doing those would not be wasted.

kevinsky18
16th Sep 2009, 16:05
Malacca (sp?) Flying School used to run Cherokees, perhaps they are now called Malaysian Flying school. At any rate they are out in Malacca. I did a short instructor stint there about 15 years ago but had to leave in a hurry as I didn't have a proper work visa.

The scenery was beautiful, the ocean shore line spectacular, the jungle intimidating, the old Dutch / Portuguese town very interesting but in the end your licence is limited. Though you may at least get credit for the time you flew towards you JAA but you would have to look into that further as I’m not sure what the rules are anymore.