PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 - Warship - is it really like that?

Namaste
14th Sep 2009, 21:29
Just watched an episode of "Warship" on Channel 5 (and I'm not sure if it is a repeat) and this episode featured HMS Ocean on exercise in the Far East. With due deference to to those out fighting for us in Afghanistan on very active service...is the Navy really like this? I've never been in the forces and probably have no right to criticise given the stuff being done in action. Nevertheless:

Overweight crew members; I though you had to be fit to be in the forces?
Matron in tears because she had to brief "her" girls on picking up the body of a fisherman found floating near the ship
Matron warning them they will be sick ("don't look at the face"). OK, a dead body isn't pleasant but isn't this part of the training they receive, dealing with it?
Seeming to fall over herself to ensure that neither her crew nor the Malaysian sailors to whose ship the body was transferred didn't "disrespect" the body during transfer
From a layman's point of view, much of what was going on onboard seemed a bit...well, sloppy! (but with full understanding that fire & leak control exercises are by nature contrived)I'm aware I'll attract brick-bats for this but am I the only one that sees it this way or is this symptomatic of the "I cried because they took my Ipod away" nature of some recruits? Is it all too PC now? Or was this TV show an unfortunate and unrepresentative snapshot of military life reflecting life in civvy street? Maybe it is, given the stories of outright bravery recounted during the awards of MCs last week.
I'm falling over myself to ensure no inferred criticism of those involved in the terrible stuff going on right now.

Fitter2
14th Sep 2009, 22:11
While my only first hand experience of the RN was being transported from Singapore to Kuching on a minesweeper, I strongly suspect that 'Warship' is as accurate and well researched as the BBC series 'Piece of Cake' depicted 1940 Fighter Command.

gijoe
14th Sep 2009, 22:25
Namaste,

Interesting name - Nepal?

G

minigundiplomat
14th Sep 2009, 23:00
Did it feature 12 hours of junior ranks mopping fllors, flats and stairwells? If not - then no it wasnt a true picture.

BOAC
15th Sep 2009, 08:48
I agree with the OP - a depressing view of the quality of the current RN from the 'terribly important' XO (whose wings were even crooked) down to an overweight matron - "the body has been in the water for several days, it will not be very pleasant" - gawd 'elp us. Bags she doesn't get in my lifeboat.............I was particularly amused by the 'difficulty' the heli driver apparently faced in getting a flying slot to airtest the dicky Merlin. 1 serviceable airframe on board out of 6.................hmm! I bet the guys in BinLadenStanLand are looking forward to the Merlin!

Let's hope it is all down to the production team, eh? Of course it is better than that - I CAN sleep soundly in my bed knowing the defence of the nation is in good hands.

Troops late on parade - bah! Stick 'em in the bilges in chains and then keelhaul them, I say.

Minigun - I came away with the impression that the JR might burst into tears if asked to mop the decks.

Such a shame following the Ark Royal version.

goudie
15th Sep 2009, 09:02
Such a shame following the Ark Royal version.

If the Master-at-Arms on the Ark Royal watched Warship, I'm sure it would have made him weep!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Sep 2009, 09:27
As a civvy, I was amazed that such a large ship apparently had neither medical facililities nor doctor on board - just "matron", who appeared to be unqualified. Didn't they airlift-out a rating with dysentery? One might have expected the RN's largest warship to be able to cope with such matters on board.

Gainesy
15th Sep 2009, 09:34
I did notice one of the female ratings roll her eyes at the "matron's" briefing on picking up the body. Hope yet?

Funny looking boat,:E was it converted from something else?

zotbox
15th Sep 2009, 10:10
Fitter2,

"Piece of Cake" was an ITV drama series, based on the novel by Derek Robinson and recieved the same criticism as the source material for daring to portray the RAF as anything less than an organisation of clean living, paragons of morality. I still think "Moggy Catermole" when I see Neil Dudgeon in anything!

Warship is one of those Fly on the wall documentaries which will sometimes show the services in a less than flattering light, similar to the other C5 documentary series on Kandahar that aired earlier this year.

It may not be the whole picture, but it is certainly part of it.

Wader2
15th Sep 2009, 10:12
Remember this is a TV SHOW. It is edited for mass audience consumption. The presence of cine verite and cameras causes people to act differently. This, I submit, is in contrast to WW2 film where they probably didn't expect to feature in a mass media programme.

Contrast this show with a properly run piece of MOD progaganda, oops I meant properly edited documentary, where you have senior officers taking the place of junior officers. :}.

tubby linton
15th Sep 2009, 10:27
Ocean's hull is based on the Invincible class

uffington sb
15th Sep 2009, 11:54
Naval Ratings aren't wot they used to be.
Remember that poor lad who was tortured by those nasty Eyerainians, they said he looked like Mr Bean.
Still he got a nice new suit for his troubles.

bast0n
15th Sep 2009, 12:04
I would like to see "Matron" do a mile and a half in ten minutes!

Actually - no I wouldn't.

As an ex it makes me very sad.

The Oberon
15th Sep 2009, 12:07
I always remember the interview with the padre on Ark Royal. He was asked if it was difficult to work in an environment that clashed with his religious background. He answered by saying " Yes, it can be difficult working in a place where the normal friendly greeting is " 'Ello you f**!!**g wa***r ""

Priceless !!