PDA

View Full Version : St Mawgan Nimrod Info Required

Nimman
14th Sep 2009, 20:40
In order to finish off some research am seeking info (ac no, date, sqn/crew) on the Nimrod that made a nose u/c up landing at St Mawgan in mid 70's. (Not XV231s pt u/c up landing or XV239s nose leg up landing). Also seeking names of the Crew Chief team leaders of the winning Nairn Trophy teams in 1990 & 1991. Please PM if necessary.

stbd beam
15th Sep 2009, 10:13
from the pic its either 235 or 239

Distant Voice
16th Sep 2009, 10:19
I do recall a Kinloss Nimrod landing, away from home, with a nose u/c problem in the early 70's. I am not sure if it was diverted to St Mawgan. I know we used foam on the runway for the first time and the problem was caused by an incorrectly fitted non-return valve in the selection system. The fleet was grounded until all valves were checked.

DV

camelspyyder
16th Sep 2009, 17:07
In '90 and '91 the RAF were represented by us at 3rd Division South, so you may want to contact 42(R) sorry 42(TB)Sqn Historian at RAF Kinloss for details of the groundcrew and Chiefs.

CS

circle kay
16th Sep 2009, 17:08
Wasn't the other no nose leg landing at Leeming on the foam runway. As I recall from the Air Clues article they opened the front door on the approach but the extra noise made it difficult to hear the R/T on the flight deck. About 74 I think and a 201 crew possibly?
CK

stbd beam
16th Sep 2009, 18:27
In the 120 archives a Flt Lt Maynard (captain) did indeed divert to Leeming from Kinloss in 1974 in XV239 for a nosewheel up landing (article & pics available if req'd) but I can't find anything about one at St Mawgan yet....

gbls
17th Sep 2009, 12:34
If the landing was at night I believe it was XV236 and the cause was sticking nose undercarriage door sequence valve.

AQAfive
17th Sep 2009, 22:28
There appears to be confusion here. The Kinloss Nimrod was diverted to Leeming to land on the foam on 6th May 1974 when the nose-wheel sequence valve failed. Not sure there was any mention of non return valve being incorrectly fitted, but I dont recall reading the incident report or the results of the investigation.

As for the fleet being grounded, we were picked up the very next day once the runway was clear, XV239 managed to stop at the intersection of two runways.

Incidentally, the aircraft was lifted up, nose-wheel dropped once door was cleared and it was flown back a few days later. Apart from the radome I believe there was little damage.

As for St Mawgan I have no recollection of that ac this is merely to confirm the date of the Kinloss / Leeming event.

Nimman
18th Sep 2009, 15:39
Thanks for the info so far, I have the gen on the XV239.

After 239's incident on the 6/5/74, a PWI/Nim/1 was issued on the 14/5/74 and an STI/Nim/169 on the 23/5/74 "A case has been reported of 2 sequence valves in series in the nose uc down line jamming in the open position. This caused out of sequence operation of the nose uc leg which jammed on the port door and prevented full lowering of the uc"

But of the incident at St M it occurred during an evening/night shift and the ac had been recovered by the time the day shift came in, I believe Geordie K..g may have been the air eng. The cause again was a sequence valve problem as I spent many days after changing them.