PDA

View Full Version : FAA Training in Livermore, CA (Another concern.. State choosing)

Aerocadet
14th Sep 2009, 13:53
Good day!

Has anyone here done flying at Livermore, CA? How was it?

Aside from my other post regarding Clearwater, I am choosing between California and Florida.

Anyway, I might choose a flight school in Livermore, CA for training (PPL-IR-CPL) with mixed fleet.

Thanks a lot! :ok:

Trolle
14th Sep 2009, 20:21
Aerocadet,

I learned and taught flying in the Bay Area (plus I'm a native of the area). Not out of Livermore but have flown there and in the area for many years.

Usually, there is no waiting and the practice area is a short flight away. However, it can be relatively crowded with the larger flight schools in the area (not currently instructing so I don't know how it is now with the economy and industry going the wrong way).

I consider the Bay Area one of the best places to learn to fly, and I have flown in nearly all contiguous 48 states. Challenging airspace with Class B and numerous airports in a condensed area. Uncontrolled airports nearby to give you exposure to various operations. High altitude operations nearby in the Sierras. The only lacking element, in my opinion, is limited IFR weather. There is a low marine layer to play in, but it is so thin that it gives limited time. When there is a thicker layer it is often accompanied by low freezing levels or stormy weather.

I believe that the flying can be good anywhere. You should focus on choosing a school that you are comfortable with that you feel gives you good value. I have flown with bad instructors in great places...and it wasn't pleasant. I have flown with great instructors in dull places...and had a great time and learned a lot. I tried to always challenge my students in their flying, and the Bay Area was a great play ground. Outside the flying it is a beautiful place, although you may find it more expensive than Clearwater.

Good luck.