PDA

View Full Version : Private Hire at Short Notice

A Birder
14th Sep 2009, 08:36
Dear all,
I'm a keen birdwatcher living in the London area who is looking for a pilot(s) available for short notice private hire to get to mega rarities as soon as possible (typical destinations would be Scottish islands such as Fair Isle,Shetland and North Ronaldsay, Orkney, Isles of Scilly, Cornwall).

This doesn't happen very often, maybe a few times a year, but when news breaks on a mega rarity it'd be great to be able to have a chance of getting to see it.

So, whether you're based at Land's End or Wick, if you think you can help or can offer any advice, please P.M me and we can discuss this in more detail.

Thanks in advance,
A Birder

airborne_artist
14th Sep 2009, 08:55
short notice private hire

Which rules out most people on this forum, as they and their aircraft are not licenced or insured for the type of task you describe.

wsmempson
14th Sep 2009, 08:58
A Birder, the problem you might find with your proposal is that you have suggested a "private hire" arrangement, which is not something that a PPL holder can accomodate, as we are holders of Private Pilots Licences, as opposed to Comercial Pilots Licences. The operators of aircraft for hire with a pilot, is the province of commercial outfits with AOC's and aircraft flown by CPL's.

However, if what you are suggesting is a cost sharing arrangement with a pilot, you may find that this works, but any ppl sharing with you will need to be very careful as to what basis they are undertaking these flights.

Good luck with the rare birds!

A Birder
14th Sep 2009, 09:21
Dear all,
Thanks for your comments. Not having any knowledge of the ins and outs of holding a pilots licence I didn't realise private hire was quite so tricky. Yes, a cost sharing scenario was what I had in mind.

Can anyone suggest where I should try looking for private hire that would be feasible and not too costly?

A Birder

airborne_artist
14th Sep 2009, 09:33
private hire that would be feasible and not too costly? A contradiction in terms, and in all reality, it may well be quicker to either take a scheduled flight and hire a car at the other end, or drive like a bat out of hell the minute you get the news. By the time you called the operator, they've found a pilot, he's planned the flight, you've got to the airfield etc. you'll be half-way there by road, unless the aircraft is capable of flying at 250 mph or more, in which case it'll be out of your budget.

A Birder
14th Sep 2009, 10:17
Thanks,
I'm getting the message loud and clear. If only I knew a pop star with their own private jet......ironically, it'd be too big for the landing strips anyway!

Regards,
A. Birder

Phenom100
14th Sep 2009, 10:25
Birdie you have PM

Saab Dastard
14th Sep 2009, 10:32
Moved from Spare Seat sticky.

SD

mad_jock
14th Sep 2009, 12:14
As someone who has done a fair few twitcher charters. I would put forward a few words of warning to PPL's.

These guys are pleasant enough but to say they are focussed on the mission is is an understatement.

They will get a page saying that some lesser spotted albino wren has been seen in the Fair Isles. They will then phone round all the CAT operators and get a negative because its unlicensed. Then they move to the flying schools in the highlands trying to get them to take them up there. They get a negative from all of them because of public transport. But we then point them to wards George in CUM who can do it but its way to expensive. The reason why the wren has been blown off course is because there is a wacking great gale blowing and the wx is ****e. An you have huge areas of pretty horrible sea to cross to get to where you are going. You then have problems getting fuel.

If the wren is somewhere that they can get a charter into they will drive for hours then stand in the car park for hours trying to find out if the poor sod is still alive. Another page is recieved and then they load up with 2 tons of cameras and bino's.

Then you feel dead guilty when you land in BEN and have a bird strike just in case it was the bird they had come out to look at.

There are a few of them that do hold PPL's and thats purely to be able to get into unlicensed strips with an instructor safety pilot. Out of the 6 trips I know of with this setup only one finished without tears. Unless you have seen the wx up north and realise what your getting yourself into be very carefull.

These days I won't even consider it but then again I am not scrabbling for hours. But I do remember what it was like tho.

foxmoth
14th Sep 2009, 16:26
They will then phone round all the CAT operators and get a negative because its unlicensed.

If by CAT operators you mean Commercial Air Taxi then there is no problem, they can operate as long as ONE end of the flight is a licensed A/F, that is after all how they fly Jockeys into many racecourses!

flybymike
14th Sep 2009, 23:05
Then you feel dead guilty when you land in BEN and have a bird strike just in case it was the bird they had come out to look at.

Priceless.....:):D

mad_jock
14th Sep 2009, 23:45
Its commercial air transport and its a very special AOC endorsment if thats the right word to get into or out of a none licensed airfield legally. It doesn't matter a jot if you are departing from or arriving at.

You will prob find that the aircraft are operating on a private operation or the race course will hold a temp license while they have fire cover present.

And flybymike it did happen gawd knows what went through the prop, I was very relieved when they appeared back at the airport 2 hours later after getting there "pic" and as far as I could tell they were all hoping it would die soon so the novelty factor of them getting a photo was made even more special.

foxmoth
15th Sep 2009, 05:32
Its commercial air transport and its a very special AOC endorsment if thats the right word to get into or out of a none licensed airfield legally. It doesn't matter a jot if you are departing from or arriving at.

You will prob find that the aircraft are operating on a private operation or the race course will hold a temp license while they have fire cover present.

Certainly was not the case when I was Chief pilot for an Air Taxi firm, and if you look at the relevant part of the ANO:-

Subject to paragraph (4), paragraph (1) applies to:
(a) any aeroplane of which the maximum total weight authorised exceeds 2730 kg
flying on a flight:
(i) for the purpose of the public transport of passengers;
(ii) for the purpose of instruction in flying given to any person for the purpose
of becoming qualified for the grant of a pilot's licence or the inclusion of an
aircraft rating, a night rating or a night qualification in a licence; or
(iii) for the purpose of carrying out flying tests in respect of the grant of a pilot's
licence or the inclusion of an aircraft rating or a night rating in a licence;
(b) any aeroplane of which the maximum total weight authorised does not exceed
2730 kg flying on a flight:
(i) which is a scheduled journey for the purpose of the public transport of
passengers;
(ii) for the purpose of the public transport of passengers beginning and ending
at the same aerodrome;
(iii) for the purpose of:
(aa) instruction in flying given to any person for the purpose of becoming
qualified for the grant of a pilot's licence or the inclusion of an aircraft
rating, a night rating or a night qualification in a licence; or
(bb) a flying test in respect of the grant of a pilot's licence or the inclusion
of an aircraft rating, a night rating or a night qualification in a licence; or
(iv) for the purpose of the public transport of passengers at night;

You may notice that if you are flying an aircraft below 2730 kg you do not need a licenced airfield unless it is either scheduled or you are starting and ending at the same point, so in fact I was wrong - if below 2730 kg you do not need a licensed field at either end!:}

mad_jock
15th Sep 2009, 06:55
Well you live and learn. :ok:

Never worked for anyone with sub 2730kg on thier AOC.

Are you allowed to operate over water public transport in a SEP? ie can't glide clear.

silverknapper
15th Sep 2009, 11:48
Cessna 310?

foxmoth
15th Sep 2009, 16:37
Certainly all the Aztec and Seneca versions were well in on this, in fact most 6 seat Pistons would have been in on this weight, Navajo was just over by nearly 500 lbs:ok:

mad_jock
15th Sep 2009, 18:04
I don't have a clue about twin piston performance would you be able to get one of them out of the Fair isles with the CAT perf factors?

the reason why I keep banging on about the fair isles is because it was by far the island of choice for your twitcher to try and get a dodgy charter to.

foxmoth
15th Sep 2009, 18:15
Not flying these sort of aircraft these days and would have to crunch the numbers, I notice if you look on the sites that Google throws up there is a C310 landing - but that does not mean he is legal! Do remember though that these are not Perf "A" aircraft.