PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers in the air / Hearing issues

Heliplane
14th Sep 2009, 08:25
I had my 2 year old son up at the airfield for the first time over the weekend and he loved playing in the plane and watching others take off.

Although his car seat would fit securely in the plane, I haven't taken him up yet as I am concerned about noise levels and potential effects on his hearing.

He doesn't seem too willing to wear a pair of David Clarks (at their smallest size they just fit - probably quite heavy for him at 13.4 ounces!).

I'll likely wait for another couple of years before taking him flying - until he can understand what is going on a bit more - but wondered if anyone else had taken very young children up and what, if any, hearing protection measures they had taken. There are a few child's hearing protection products out there but they seem to be just passive headphones.

Also, does anyone know whether an ANC headset emits anything that might be harmful to a child (particularly given a child's skull is relatively thin)?

Thanks

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Sep 2009, 08:52
The main thing is that if you take small children up in an aeroplane they just go to sleep. So if the trip consists of you spending money in order to provide interest and entertainment to the child it's generally a failure.

Southern Cross
14th Sep 2009, 12:07
I took my 5 year old up this summer in my Bucker Jungmann - she wore a David Clark (no active noise attenuation) with a cloth helmet to help hold it in place. It was a short flight, but the headset was adequately comfortable and fitted well in the open cockpit environment.

I'd agree that there would be no point taking very young kids flying as they cannot really understand what is happening and the "wonder of flight" is likely to be lost on them. I wouldn't take my 2 year old up - despite being utterly enamoured with aeroplanes, he'd have no interest in flying in one other than scheduled...and I'd be concerned about putting him off.

If however it is an A to B affair eg holiday, then why not...

I'm not aware that ANR emits anything harmful but I'm no expert. Once kids are 5 years old the concern about infant skulls is long gone...

wsmempson
14th Sep 2009, 13:09
My 3 year old son loves flying in the back of my arrow - he sits in the car seat and looks out of the window, without saying very much at all. I bought some junior ear defenders as I suspect that if I gave him a headset with a live mike, I'd never get him to shut up....

He used to sleep more than he does now in the aircraft.

My eleven year old daughter, by contrast, is far more interested in ponies, and is quite disinterested in aircraft. She thinks that it's no different to sitting in the car...if only she knew!

Captain Stable
14th Sep 2009, 15:31
I won't take my 5-year old up until she's considerably older, but not for any reasons to do with her hearing. :hmm:

She's already showing FAR too much interest in flying and aeroplanes generally, tells all her friends at school that "Daddy is a pilot" and I can see large bills looking in the future when she decides she wants to learn to fly. :uhoh:

What is that old joke? "When I grow up I want to be a pilot" - "Well, which? You can't do both" ;)

Monocock
14th Sep 2009, 16:40
There is nothing wrong with taking toddlers flying, mine have been coming with me quite regularly since they were three. Just make sure their headsets are a good fit and I can't see what damage it can cause.

My eight year old can fly straight and level and does without even trying. I took my htree year old up on Saturday and he loved it.

Be aware though that if they can't see out, they will get bored very quickly. If the a/c has clear perspex bottoms to its doors like mine, the whole experience for them is a lot more enjoyable for them.

ChampChump
14th Sep 2009, 16:53
At the St Omer fly-in there was a Swiss couple with a daughter 'two days off her first birthday' - (hmmm, must be today. Happy Birthday Sophie!).

This subject came up and she doesn't have anything special and is utterly unfazed. They didn't seem worried and were evidently very caring parents.

penguin-uk
14th Sep 2009, 17:16
I took some friends up the other week for a quick trip around the local area and they asked if they could bring their 7 month old child along. She was quite happy in her car seat. Whilst she was obviously too small to get a headset on, she didn't seem at all bothered (it's not that loud in the back anyway) and in fact smiled quite a bit more than she does normally :)

trex450
14th Sep 2009, 19:20
Hi, I had this conversation a couple of years back while a doctor conducted a noise test (in an Islander) and was surprised when I asked her about that very thing. Apparently the days to go flying or to night clubs are before your late teens. It is only after then that noise induced hearing loss becomes an issue. Hope this calms your worries.

thomas888b
14th Sep 2009, 19:34
My Sis who is two just has some flouresent ear phones without speakers/mic she just seemed to sleep when we flew to newquay

Donalk
14th Sep 2009, 19:59
So much for having the company of one's family on flying trips. My wife and two boys barely last 5 minutes past take off before settling into a deep slumber which is only broken when the engine is shut down on arrival.

Maybe I need to fly something with a bit more pzazz

Heliplane
15th Sep 2009, 08:37
Hi, I had this conversation a couple of years back while a doctor conducted a noise test (in an Islander) and was surprised when I asked her about that very thing. Apparently the days to go flying or to night clubs are before your late teens. It is only after then that noise induced hearing loss becomes an issue. Hope this calms your worries.

That's very interesting to know. I think I'll get him used to wearing the headphones first as he loves to talk - the David Clarks were still slightly big on him but perhaps the old style Peltors might be a bit better.

I just have to convince my wife to let me take him up - still think it's a year or two away.

jollyrog
15th Sep 2009, 09:46
Pilot P-51C (Cadet) headsets are child specific. It says ages 1.5 to 10.

They'll give you a free adult size headband, when the child grows up.

Supersport
17th Sep 2009, 22:02
It's funny this thread should appear, after much consideration I actually took my son (two year old) up for the first time last week. Flew to Campbeltown from Blackpool in an SR20 G3 GTS, he'd fallen asleep before we'd even taken off! Woke up on final approach. However he was awake for the entire return journey and loved the novelty of wearing the headset; crew isolation button on the radio came in handy as he's a little motormouth at the moment! Saying that, Scottish didn't seem to mind much when I forgot to hit the button before transmitting, was quiet up there mind! The few short RT interuptions even raised a 119.875 chuckle a few times! Had him sat on a normal car booster seat and he seemed to enjoy looking out at the clouds and mountains. Definitely think he is still too young to fully appreciate what is actually happening so it probably won't become a regular thing for the time being, but was very nice to go flying with the whole family for a change!

tmmorris
19th Sep 2009, 20:37
My son, now 5, has been flying with me regularly since he was 2. To start with I would always take another adult as well, so if he threw a wobbly (unusual) I didn't have to fly and deal with him at the same time. Since he was 4 I will fly with him alone, though I have made a vow not to do single pilot hard IFR with him... this following an attempt to speak to Shawbury, Gloucester and him at the same time...

He has the 'cadet' headset mentioned, and his own hi-viz jacket (try a riding supplier!) which he loves. He is now allowed to sit in the front, being old enough not to fiddle, and loves doing simple jobs like turning lights and fuel pump on and off on demand - next will be tuning radios, once he can reach them!

He uses a car 'booster' seat with the standard seatbelt. He still sleeps frequently - often on the return trip from somewhere - and usually wakes up only when the wheels touch down. Must be something about my landings!

A word of warning - he likes to help me with ground handling but last summer his foot was run over by a C152 and he broke two toes. He healed quickly - but it was a reminder that one can overestimate how much children can do/help. He dined out on that story for months, though. These days he mostly stands at a safe distance while I move the aircraft myself.

He does want to be a pilot... not helped by his godfather being a commercial pilot...

Tim