PDA

View Full Version : FAA Conversion to ANAC

pele
13th Sep 2009, 18:18
I am a Brazilian citizen but currently live and work in the USA. I hold all FAA pilot and instructor licenses except ATP and have over 400 hours of flight time. In the future, I would like to return to Brazil and fly for a living (passengers or cargo, does not matter). I have asked different agencies and aviation professionals about how to convert my FAA licenses to ANAC, but no one has answered my question. For example, what do I have to do to become a pilot in Brazil? How many of my hours will be accepted? What tests, classes, etc. do I need to take to get my Brazil licenses, especially to fly commercial? And so forth. I need guidance on this. Thank you.

varigflier
14th Sep 2009, 01:39
I did my conversion back in 2004. Took 8 months for the whole process. Very painfull and flying there sucks big time. My advice is don't do it.
In case you want to do it, you need to have finished high school to get a commercial license in Brazil. If you did it in the states, you will need to get your transcripts translated. You also need your CPF number and voter's card showing you voted in the last election. Once you get all of your paperwork completed, you will take a 20 question test on regulations and you need 2 day landings, 2 night landings and 2 instrument approaches before you go for your checkride. Your hours will not count unless you get a letter from the owner of every plane you flew, every flight school you attended will also need a letter from the FAA and they even asked me for a FAA letter certifiyng that the instructor was not fake. I had over 2200 hours at that time and none of these hours counted. If you go for a job, the airlines will accept it no problem but ANAC won't accept it, but they will give you the Brazilian license with no hours on it.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

VF

sprden
1st Oct 2009, 18:06
I did my FAA - ANAC conversion last year (2008). Like varigflier says, it is time consuming process and full of bureaucratic procedures. It took me about 3 months to complete the whole thing. But I think it could be done faster. I had no information about the conversion process when I started, and the troubles that I faced were the ANAC paperwork and the ****ty weather in Sao Paulo. I gotta say just collecting all your documents is so much work.
You need to fly one X-Country with Colonel for the checkride. The checkride is like in the US; oral and the flight test. Nothing too hard though.
If you are really thinking of converting your FAA license, just be ready and plan ahead.
I'd happy to share more info if you need.
Abraço