PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up or not a Pop-up....how to get rid?

Shack37
12th Sep 2009, 17:36
Hi all,
Since a few days ago when I use File / Exit at the end of an internet session I find I have other sites needing to be closed down using the X button, no toolbar showing. They are always in common with sites I have visited during the session eg travel agents or airlines, ie I close down after looking at flights on a website and on closing down I find other sites open with offers and discounts etc. They are not exactly pop-ups I suppose and I do have a pop-up blocker activated. It's not a big problem, just a little annoying at times.
I haven't made any changes to anything recently.
All advice welcome
s37

phineas
12th Sep 2009, 18:11
These may just be pop unders, they open a window underneath the window you are viewing that needs to be closed separately. I have not seen one in a while but I have a pop up blocker in place, you’d have to check if your pop up blocker blocks pop unders.
There is a chance that you have become affected by adware, the will look at what searching for and bring up rogue sites. If you are using Windows Microsoft have a tool that will remove unwanted software, Google Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830), this will take you to the download site. The first time this is run it can take some time but it is probably worth it.
HTH

Shack37
13th Sep 2009, 18:01
Sorted. The pop-ups had the name "favorit" at screen top left which I hadn't spotted. In the control panel add/remove programs was one by the same name. I removed it and all seems well.
s37