PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Jabiru 2200 Sk

BOJAC
12th Sep 2009, 15:23
I hold a UK PPL with EU privileges and have been tinkering with anon-capital share with a PA28 in EGTR, Im considering having my own aircraft for a number of reason:
1: Availability - a number of times wanted to go flying and a.c wasn't available
2: When I had the a/c booked the weather was crap
3: Would like ot know where the a/c is been and knowing it is for my use
4: minimal depreciation

Have seen a number of a/c in a price bracket I can afford, e.g. Jabiru 2200 SK version - short wing/short fuselage - although not ever flown one but it is very economical and had a good range on full tanks.

A few questions:
1: Does anyone know of any farm strips with reasonable monthly costs e.g. to £150 that EGTR and other airfield charge
2: What's the insurance for this type of a.c
3: Limitations of having a LAA A/c versus a CAA aircraft
Any Jabiru owners who could maybe contact me

Many thanks

Them thar hills
12th Sep 2009, 21:17
BOJ
You'd do better to ask your questions on the LAA website.
That's where you'll find the key to grassroots aviation, strips and expertise on the lighter types.
LAA types are almost always VFR-only, so if you really want to fly in grotty weather LAA isn't for you.
However if you want to do plenty of flying in an affordable aircraft, and find out what being current really means, check out the LAA.
It's a different kind of flying from what you're used to, but well worth a try !
:)

Rod1
13th Sep 2009, 09:14
The only “practical” difference of going from C of A to LAA is you are restricted to day VFR. No problem with equipping the aircraft with appropriate equipment to fly right down to the limit, but obviously no ILS into your local space port.

I have no experience of the Jab aircraft. If you go onto the LAA web site and find your local strut, you will probably find a local owner with one who will be more than happy to help.

If you are finding the LAA world confusing send me a PM and I will try to help.

Rod1

PCKnight
21st Sep 2009, 09:21
I have built and flown a Jab 470SP for 550 hours and have now got a Jab 430 ( 4seater). They are excellent aircraft. Couple of comments about the 2200SK. The MTOW is 430kg. This means they are ideal for 1 pob and full fuel. If you have 2 pob you will have to trade fuel to keep within MTOW. Depends on the doughnuts you've been eating!
The aircraft is easy to fly although it has a bit more adverse yaw than you may be used to on a PA28. Short field landing is excellent but a bit of technique is needed in crosswinds to keep rudder and elevator authority OK.
The SK's have been around for a bit so may need a bit of maintenance. That having been said there are some really excellent examples around and for sale at the moment. If you want to talk on the phone contact me on email at peter.c.knightATdsl.pipex.com