PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret Bunker Protecting Britain's Skies

AonP
11th Sep 2009, 17:24
Royal Air Force Secret Bunker: Britain's Skies Protected By Multi-Million Pound System | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Royal-Air-Force-Secret-Bunker-Britains-Skies-Protected-By-Multi-Million-Pound-System/Article/200909215378891?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_0&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15378891_Royal_Air_Force_Secret_Bunk er%3A_Britains_Skies_Protected_By_Multi-Million_Pound_System)

Roger Sofarover
11th Sep 2009, 17:28
Not such a secret bunker now is it. They even tell the world it's 60ft down, makes weapons selection much easier. I am not sure of the point of the Sky report.

Navy_Adversary
11th Sep 2009, 17:37
The government are ultimately responsible for telling fast air if an airliner should be shot down, :eek::eek:

Cows getting bigger
11th Sep 2009, 17:56
Obviously a new OC CRC or Stn Cdr. I'm pretty sure the last OC (Pat Somethingorother) did a similar piece for the beeb a couple of years back.

BlackIsle
11th Sep 2009, 18:06
Not such a secret bunker now is it

Don't think this article has said anything that hasn't already been in the media before now - and as for assisting weapons selection, dear oh dear, a capable planner or a teenage school pupil can surely think of more obvious targets.:ugh:

Al R
11th Sep 2009, 18:26
Lost it completely wrote in response: "I, for one feel safer knowing any decision to shoot down a commercial jet lies with higher government and I get a warm glow to think of Bob Ainsworth doing the right thing".

I couldn't possibly comment.

Pure Pursuit
11th Sep 2009, 18:44
Crap article and a crap video on Sky News. If an article has to be intentionally vague to that extreme, don't bother doing it. The BBC version was far better although I wasn't in that one either! A carefully positioned days leave took care of that.

If they'd wanted to do a decent one, Sky should have gone to the alternative 'Top Secret first story building protecting Britain's Skies'. It's got windows, leather sofas and everything.

Roger Sofarover
11th Sep 2009, 18:54
Don't think this article has said anything that hasn't already been in the media before now - and as for assisting weapons selection, dear oh dear, a capable planner or a teenage school pupil can surely think of more obvious targets.:ugh:

It was meant to be a flippant retort!, so now you equate capable planners with teenage school children? and what is the list of more obvious targets rather than taking out the UK's air defence system first? maybe you deserve the banging head, but it's rude.

BlackIsle
11th Sep 2009, 20:06
Well I'm not going to list the targets otherwise I might incur more of your wrath but an observant tourist might just be able to think up a disruptive ploy. ps - can you spot flippancy when you see it? LOL!

smilie - dear oh dear!= visual banter? if offended sorry mate

SeldomFixit
12th Sep 2009, 02:26
Don't you just hate it when you have to point out the flippancy/sarcasm/wit.......:rolleyes:

funflier44
12th Sep 2009, 12:01
" Every time that phone goes, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because we take it that seriously."
Sean O'Connor, Wing Commander

Well Sean there aren't many on your head to stand on endhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

PPRuNeUser0139
12th Sep 2009, 12:18
Funflier.. beat me to it..!!
:E

Jet Dragoneer
12th Sep 2009, 14:28
In any case, any hairs standing up would double his height!

Sorry Sean!

JD:)

dilly
12th Sep 2009, 16:41
How far was he away from that camera?!

The Gorilla
12th Sep 2009, 16:53
I think he was standing on a box of some sort!

advocatusDIABOLI
13th Sep 2009, 03:53
Also, nice to see the QRA Tiffy's were all twin stickers with No 'Hurt-iles'. The only QRA pic was an F3....... Funny That.

Advo

Jabba_TG12
14th Sep 2009, 07:34
Hmmmm....

Yes, of course we've been taking AD seriously since the end of the Cold War... :rolleyes:

Wensleydale
14th Sep 2009, 16:37
In any case, any hairs standing up would double his height!

Sorry Sean!

One small step for man - one giant leap for the Wing Commander in question. (As long as he doesn't walk into a lamp post again).

Ditto the "Sorry Sean".

W

Milarity
14th Sep 2009, 16:52
Ahhh,
Two-Fields O'Connor.

Ditto thr "sorry Sean".

Sun Who
14th Sep 2009, 18:24
It was a truly magnificent black eye.
;)

Sun.

JessTheDog
15th Sep 2009, 13:00
Where's the BBC link, anyone? To this "top secret" facility! Would like to see this new kit in action (I remember the old consoles getting chucked in a skip about 5 years ago!).

Good to see a few familiar names pop up! Best wishes to all.

Pure Pursuit
16th Sep 2009, 07:41
Jess,

It is in the SkyNews website however,

if you search QRA on the BBC website, there is a far better article.