PDA

View Full Version : Hold Baggage Charges

Dan Air 87
11th Sep 2009, 16:08
Just noted that VAA are charging for hold baggage on what is called a "piece system." Economy passengers will be allowed to check one bag weighing up to 23 kg. free of charge, premium economy passengers will be entitled to two bags weighing up to 23 kg. each and business class passengers can check up to three. Any additional bags will cost £32 per item when booked online or £40 at airport check-in. Economy passengers travelling between London Heathrow and Nairobi or Lagos will be able to check a second bag at no charge.

So why will I be penalised if I was to check in 2 bags from LHR-BOS when the flight time when if I was to go LHR-LHR (flight time more than 6 hours) I can take 2 bags free of charge. Somehow this doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone explain why they are adding this extra charge on top of the fuel duty, APD and anything else that they can seemingly get away with?

I can't see why I should line Bransons purse when I can fly LHR-LOS with Air France or Lufthansa in better aircraft without these additional charges being levied.

ConstantFlyer
11th Sep 2009, 17:54
Airlines used to be regarded as a service industry; but, as with many such services, their operations are being increasingly positioned these days so as to influence what it is that the customer thinks he wants. By manipulating passenger behaviour, service providers can provide the service that gives them the largest profit margin, while being able to claim they are delivering what the customer wants.

So, an airline charges a fee to take a second suitcase. The passenger therefore changes his behaviour so as to reduce the amount of stuff he takes on the journey. The airlines saves fuel as a result and the passenger avoids a fee. Everybody's happy. Or at least, that's the theory..........

PAXboy
12th Sep 2009, 01:12
Dan Air 87I can't see why I should line Bransons purse when I can fly LHR-LOS with Air France or Lufthansa in better aircraft without these additional charges being levied.So why don't you?

Each time I book a trip, short/medium/long, after general checks I look to see:-
cost for the specific rotations I want (time, dates, direct/indirect, airports)
can I use FFMs for upgrade / how many FFMs can I earn
baggage allowance checked and cabin (costs where applicable)
quality and reputation of the carrier, along with previous experience
type of a/c operating the routeWhether I am paying myself (mostly) or the client (occasionally) I make these checks every time so that I get as close to what I want as I can get. Doesn't everyone?

OverRun
12th Sep 2009, 18:44
The Low Cost Carrier revolution was started by Southwest Airlines, and even today they are held up as a role model for LCCs.

They DON'T charge for hold baggage - you can check in two bags each up to 50 lb (23 kg?) - without charge. I did it a couple of days ago, and I'll do it again today.

And they are one of the best performing airlines financially, even in this downturn.