PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii flight training.. Good for both PPL and IR?

Aerocadet
10th Sep 2009, 15:28
Good day! I'm in the process of choosing a good state for training in the USA. I will be an international student.

Anyone here did PPL and instrument rating training in Hawaii? How was it?

I was planning to do PPL and instrument in Hawaii and do time building somewhere else (CA or FL) where I can practice instrument procedures.

THANKS!!! :ok:

varigflier
11th Sep 2009, 17:34
Back in 2001-2004 I used to teach at Flight School Hawaii in Oahu and I had lots of international students. I really loved the place and the state. It's my favorite in the US. I enjoy the Hawaiian lifestyle. I don't remember any complaints from any of my students about flying there. They all liked it very much.
I hope this helps.

VF

ReverseFlight
12th Sep 2009, 12:27
It's been a long time since I last looked at the regs for flying in Hawaii but I seem to recall there is a reduced distance requirement for cross-country navigation in the State of Hawaii due to the close proximity of the islands (without the area coverage you get in the continental states).

I think you should also check directly with the flight schools about any company/insurance policy limiting single engine over-the-water cross-country flights intra-state (between the islands). In such cases the longest over-land legs will be found on the Big Island (Kona-Hilo ?).

varigflier
13th Sep 2009, 00:03
Yes there is a reduced requirement for cross country flying in Hawaii. As far as I can remember the operators in Honolulu did not have any restrictions for flying single engine over water. You go at your own risk.

VF