PDA

View Full Version : ATPL human Factors

Andy05
10th Sep 2009, 12:19
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has done the ATPL human factors exam recently since the TEM changes have been introduced. What material did you use?
As i'm looking at purchasing the AFT material but I'm not sure if they have updated the course to include TEM.

Thanks in advance

Andy05

tmpffisch
10th Sep 2009, 12:46
I doubt Nathan would be able to sleep at night if the new TEM material wasn't in there. If Bob Tait's got an update out, Nathan will.

I wouldn't stress over it; all else fails PM me and I'll help you out with some TEM notes.

training wheels
10th Sep 2009, 13:25
If Bob Tait's got an update out, Nathan will.

Especially when Nathan's Human Factors course is exactly the same as Bob Tait's (legally licensed of course.)

The Green Goblin
11th Sep 2009, 00:10
If you have purchased AFT's HF course notes, call them and they will send the update to you via express post for free.

sixtiesrelic
11th Sep 2009, 00:16
I had a bit of a look at that stuff... Don't get overweight, don't smoke...
More common sense given long names, then abbreviated to strings of letters to keep the professional students at uni creating more courses on common sense ... a thing THEY don't have.

rodmiller
13th Sep 2009, 14:33
Nathan's notes have the updated TEM notes.

JNN
13th Sep 2009, 18:04
I did the JAA ATPL test 3 months ago and i used ATPL ground training series. Humanperformance and limitations. Fourth edition

Chuck Ellsworth
13th Sep 2009, 22:56
What does TEM stand for?

Is it something I should study up on?

john_tullamarine
13th Sep 2009, 23:08
Threat and Error Management - a formalised way of doing what Captain Greybeard does routinely.

Chuck Ellsworth
13th Sep 2009, 23:33
Thanks for the answer john_tullamarine, there are so many acronyms and so many different courses being offered I have trouble keeping them sorted out.

However that does not mean that I was unable to think and use common sense during my flying career.

I finally got so fed up with the whole industry I retired early because it had become just to micro managed by people who were unable to do it themselves so they started telling others how to do it.

Air travel has become a very people unfriendly mode of transportation and it is getting worse.

john_tullamarine
14th Sep 2009, 00:25
However that does not mean that I was unable to think and use common sense during my flying career.

.. which probably qualifies you for membership of the Captain Greybeard fraternity.

One of the problems with which the Industry is faced in recent years relates to the comparative loss of experience and reduction in age of typical crews ... which is, in turn, accelerated by rapid expansion programs.

The various training programs endeavour, with varying degrees of success, to put old heads on young shoulders.

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Sep 2009, 01:09
The various training programs endeavour, with varying degrees of success, to put old heads on young shoulders.

The subject is quite complex as aircraft designers bring more and more automation into the airline fleet, gone are the days of learning to fly airplanes that required hands and feet skills to fly them.

Gone are the days of having to learn to fly small airplanes in the charter and small airline business and moving into the right seat of a DC3 where you learned from captains who had mastered the skills needed to not only fly the airplane but how to think ahead of it.

I was fortunate to have lived in that era and flew long enough to get exposure to the new magic machines...which do most of the work for you.

I believe the time has come where there has to be two separate kinds of flight schools.

The old technology manually flown airplanes that will be around for many more decades.

And schools that turn out airline pilots / operators / managers...trained from zero to the right seat of the new magic machines.

I often think how lucky I was not to have to face a life time of managing a machine. :)