PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating - Experiences

rodrigues
10th Sep 2009, 07:15
Hi all,

I'm currently mid-way through my Commercial training, and have finally decided to pursue the Instructor route. Instructing motivates both personally and professionally.

I've read what I can on here regarding Instructing, but I'd love to hear some stories about how people found the rating overall? Aspects that they found difficult, aspects they enjoyed etc. I'd also love to hear some personal accounts of Instructing on a day-to-day basis, after the rating.

I'm looking to get a clearer picture of what I have to look forward (and not).

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigues :ok:

varigflier
11th Sep 2009, 17:40
It was definately the hardes rating I ever got. Over 6 hours of oral and 2.5 hours flight time but it went very well and I passed. Instructing was good for me but I think I did it a bit too long(almost 5 years) and after a while you get you get burned out and then it starts getting annoying. I still like teaching but I am glad I don't do it on a daily basis. Your time builds up quick if you get hired at a busy flight school and you will have lots of fun times with your students.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Sep 2009, 18:06
I am not sure how the course is structured in AUS, but the course in the UK is very enjoyable, and you will learn an awful lot.

The great thing is, it will take you right back to basics, and start those building blocks off again. One thing a lot of people struggle to begin with is making the patter fluid with your actions when you are teaching a lesson. Take a medium level turn, you are used to just going through the motions, which have become instinctive, you look out, roll the wings with the ailerons, rudder to balance with the required back pressure to the correct attitude. If you try and do this as you would normally, you will need to talk at a million miles an hour to patter it :). Also you have to use the correct words and it is easy to talk bollocks when you have forgotten what to say :}. However, it all comes with practice and experience, which is why you are there!

Another thing it will do for you is most likely widen your knowledge base, due to the fact you have to teach all subjects, which will force you into the books again. You will be asked awkward questions which will really make you think, and most likely dig yourself in and out of various holes. The course will also sharpen you hands on flying skills and airmanship.

Once you have done your test and you are teaching for real, the job is a lot of fun and it is very rewarding. It can be equally as frustrating though, mainly due to the weather. As you are from AUS, you may not suffer from weather problems depending on which part of AUS you are from, but in the UK during the winter months it can be a little annoying, but its all part of the job. I used to make use of bad weather days for keen students who would come in anyway, and we could crack on with briefings and get them done. Which worked nicely so when the good weather came you could just crack on with the flying.

Once you have finished your training, enjoy it, teaching is alot of fun.

All the best.

JUST-local
12th Sep 2009, 20:02
I found the FI(r) course one of the hardest things I have ever done (I've done quite a few hard things!)
I used to hate forced landings now I love to practise them thanks to my FIC instructor we did them nearly every flight sometimes 6 or more! until they were easy....

Flying and talkin sounds easy and is easy, doing it well is not!

I would say instructing is a really great thing, you will learn alot about yourself, other people and how to fly. The first 500 hours or year or so is very interesting and will improve you as a pilot way beyond what you could imagine.
One of the best things I have done so far. Go for it :)

rodrigues
13th Sep 2009, 11:28
Thanks for the feedback guys, very positive and very interesting Accounts.

:ok: - Much appreciated.